2013 CFR Ride Planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... If he takes you into St. Johns and turns at the bottom of the hill at the old school house beware. I took Ray and Mike down that path that is the back way into the old Effingham Park last fall and I think Ray is still pissed at me.
OK, I'll bite. Why was he pissed?
Is it worse than that turn off of river road on 72 in WV 2 years ago after the ramble?
When the road / goat path went through a small ravine that was gravel, the rain had eroded some fairly deep ruts that made things pretty dicey. I just got up on the pegs and trials bike it but Ray & Mike don't have my dirt bike experience and the pucker factor was quite high. The turn off in WV would have looked like the interstate compared to where we went.

I'm sure Wine Guy knows the spot since it is less than 10 minutes from his house.
If you mean Orchard Hill Drive, I was there last weekend. It was a little dicey, one lane steep gravel with some mud on blind corners with tall trees all around. My GenII survived, my seat almost not so much.

... If he takes you into St. Johns and turns at the bottom of the hill at the old school house beware. I took Ray and Mike down that path that is the back way into the old Effingham Park last fall and I think Ray is still pissed at me.
Is it worse than that turn off of river road on 72 in WV 2 years ago after the ramble?
When the road / goat path went through a small ravine that was gravel, the rain had eroded some fairly deep ruts that made things pretty dicey. I just got up on the pegs and trials bike it but Ray & Mike don't have my dirt bike experience and the pucker factor was quite high. The turn off in WV would have looked like the interstate compared to where we went.

I'm sure Wine Guy knows the spot since it is less than 10 minutes from his house.
If you mean Orchard Hill Drive, I was there last weekend. It was a little dicey, one lane steep gravel with some mud on blind corners with tall trees all around. My GenII survived, my seat almost not so much.
Kay, I've ridden a couple hundred miles of backroads with JohnD. If he says it's dicey, it's crap.

Looking for somebody to split a hotel room at CFR for Friday night only. Unfortuantely, CFR coincides with a pre-booked ARC Level 2 class in Mississauga on Sunday. My plan is to ride down on Friday, help out where I can, and cut out late Saturday for my hotel in Sat. night for the class on Sunday.

The road I'm speaking of is Hollow Road. You turn south at St. John and it ends up at Pelham Road and Highway 20. You have to keep the speed down with the tight blind corners but the view is amazing driving through a canopy of trees almost all the way. The street sweepers certainly don't travel down it so it can have a fair bit of sand/gravel at this time of year but clears up by the summer.

The section that had Ray all puckered up was indeed Orchard Hill Rd between Luffman Dr and Sulphur Spring Dr. Wine Guy is right about about the Hollow Rd. The scenery is great but pay attention on the tight blind corners. I went wide leading Ray & Mike and almost became a hood ornament.

Hansler Rd is kind of fun too. There are a number of back roads all along the escarpment in this area to play from Hamilton all the way over to Niagara.

One of the best times to ride this area is coming up shortly when all the fruit trees start to bloom. The colours and the scent of the blossoms let you know that winter is finally over.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the rally I'll probably head west to Michigan.
where in Mich? I have a few days to kill after CFR and before meeting Tony and the rest in Pittsburg for start of IBR. Michigan is an option; I go to Napoleon - SE of Jackson.

Looking for somebody to split a hotel room at CFR for Friday night only. Unfortuantely, CFR coincides with a pre-booked ARC Level 2 class in Mississauga on Sunday. My plan is to ride down on Friday, help out where I can, and cut out late Saturday for my hotel in Sat. night for the class on Sunday.
I might could help you out there. I have a room for Thur thru Sat night w/no roommate. The only caveat with me is right now I may have an issue that could stop me from attending due to family health (wife's family).

I'm betting Kzoo... You klowns are welcome to stop by
That's on the way, or you & I sorta are on the way to KZ I should say. I checked the mileage as I was going to ride up with Tony last week but had something I couldn't get out of - but you're ~60ish miles from the farm (family homestead) via M52.

I'm betting Kzoo... You klowns are welcome to stop by
That's on the way, or you & I sorta are on the way to KZ I should say. I checked the mileage as I was going to ride up with Tony last week but had something I couldn't get out of - but you're ~60ish miles from the farm (family homestead) via M52.
52 Is a sedate ride and you get to ride past the Jiffy Mix plant! Or 127 north if ya was in a hurry! Haven't been down that way in a few years.

Lots of totally nude strip clubs in Ft. Erie... oh wait, we're doing breakfast!
wink.png
And that's a problem why? :p

As mentioned in the other thread, I'll be kicking off from Oakville on Thursday. I had previously discussed with Intech meeting in Niagra Falls late morning and then riding Bill's suggested route to Huntsville. Seems like a good size crowd is forming and WineGuy will make an awesome guide. Not a 100% sure I can make it now as I have to make it to Lindsay, ON sometime before the rally and only arrive in ON on Monday. So...

Is anyone passing through or near Linday (Kawartha Lakes) on Thursday?

Okay, I'm going to propose some times to get things started on the Canadian side:

Thursday, June 20 - Meet at Tim Hortons (141 Garrison Rd.) in Fort Erie ONT at 9am for anyone coming across the Peace Bridge (InTech?)

Drive up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara Falls for breakfast for 10am - meet up with WNYFJR, Steamer and Top_Speed?

After breakfast, go the rest of the way up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake, head down through some twisties in the peninsula and pick up on Bill's route to head towards Hamilton. Would be willing to hand off the ride at that point and play follow the leader.

Does this work? Would anyone else be joining the start of the ride on the Canadian side?

Okay, I'm going to propose some times to get things started on the Canadian side:

Thursday, June 20 - Meet at Tim Hortons (141 Garrison Rd.) in Fort Erie ONT at 9am for anyone coming across the Peace Bridge (InTech?)

Drive up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara Falls for breakfast for 10am - meet up with WNYFJR, Steamer and Top_Speed?

After breakfast, go the rest of the way up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake, head down through some twisties in the peninsula and pick up on Bill's route to head towards Hamilton. Would be willing to hand off the ride at that point and play follow the leader.

Does this work? Would anyone else be joining the start of the ride on the Canadian side?

Well I was planning on crossing at the Rainbow bridge, but I am open for meeting at timmy's. Let me take a look at what time that would require us to leave in the morning.

Well I was planning on crossing at the Rainbow bridge, but I am open for meeting at timmy's. Let me take a look at what time that would require us to leave in the morning.
We (wnyfjr) could just as easily cross at the Peace bridge and meet in Ft. Erie at Timmy's. Intech and I could switch places.
smile.png

I just looked at the map and it says 1:31 to Timmies. Of course that doesn't account for the border. We could do that. Just have to leave a little earlier than planned. I do want to stop so we can view the falls.

Sorry guys. I might have you mixed up. Whoever is crossing at the Peace Bridge, let's meet at Timmys on Garrison Road in Fort Erie ONT at 9am. Whoever is crossing at the Rainbow Bridge, meet us for breakfast - location TBD.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Intech" data-cid="1039457" data-time="1360356126"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FJRGuy" data-cid="1039455" data-time="1360355039"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Intech" data-cid="1031620" data-time="1357860137"><p><em class='bbc'>Anyone else who might be in the area (the falls) on Thursday morning and would like to ride together let me know. It would be great to have riding companions.</em></p></blockquote>

I'll be staging from Oakville, ON, pretty much right on the route Bill provided (as far as I can tell without a way to read his file.) Don't know how long it would be by Bill's route's only an hour from the Falls by slab so I imagine it would only be a couple hours. We could meet for a late lunch, or after lunch, or maybe I could even ride down and meet you at the border.</p></blockquote>

That would be great Jeff. I haven't absolutely finalized my plans, but it looks like we will be at the falls probably mid morning(barring any delay crossing) and want to be heading out by around lunch time. If your schedule would allow you to meet us close to noon in Niagra or close by I will plan around it.</p></blockquote>

Bob,

Based on the latest discussions, looks like noon might be a little late to be heading out. I'd suggest you stick with your plan to take the Rainbow Bridge to give you more time to spend at the falls before Mike and the others arrive from Fort Erie.

As long as I can deal with Lindsay Cycle before Thursday, I'll meet the group at Niagra Falls.

I'll be staging from Oakville, ON, pretty much right on the route Bill provided (as far as I can tell without a way to read his file.) Don't know how long it would be by Bill's route's only an hour from the Falls by slab so I imagine it would only be a couple hours...
Jeff, put down that stupid iPad, get yourself a real laptop and load up BaseCamp or better yet Mapsource. Here is the file in gpx format that even Google Earth will open.

West Route from Niagara

Also, Oakville while close is not on the route.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="yamafitter" data-cid="1064486" data-time="1367495334"><p>Also, Oakville while close is not on the route.</p></blockquote>

Bill, we ride FJRs! For all intents and purposes, "close" is "pretty much right on the route"! :D

Latest posts