2013 Cruise control: Phooey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised this thread isn't locked, as there have been several threads about this already...

so the '14 works up to 100mph....hmmmm....so what happens when the 15's come out and the cruise work to 105mph? Oh crap...
weirdsmiley.gif

Honestly, I think I'd seriously consider dropping the $700 if I knew for sure it'd work. I looked into trading for a 14 but it was just too much and I'm apparently one of the few people who much prefers the '13 color the the '14 red.

I'm also trying to reach out to Chris at Flash Tune to see if he's considering anything for the FJR. No luck so far.

so the '14 works up to 100mph....hmmmm....so what happens when the 15's come out and the cruise work to 105mph? Oh crap...
weirdsmiley.gif
I don't think 100 to 105 is going to make anyone go into a frenzy here.

The '13 color is boring (like my 09, just a little lighter). That Red tho...... ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
weirdsmiley.gif
I don't think 100 to 105 is going to make anyone go into a frenzy here.

The '13 color is boring (like my 09, just a little lighter). That Red tho...... !
smile.png
You probably right, as the 80 to 100 didn't make me go into a frenzy.
smile.png

Well, I have gone through the electrical system part numbers and low and behold the only difference between the 2013 FJR1300 ADG and the 2014 FJR1300AER is the P/N on the ECU. Wiring harnesses, etc. all share the same P/Ns. If the cruise control logic is in the ECU I am ordering a new 2014 ECU and will swap it out and see what happens. My only concern is what else is controlled by the ECU? Does it need to be "initialized" on the bike to recognize everything else? Are these sub-system ECUs digitally tied to the other computers on the bike???

Well, I have gone through the electrical system part numbers and low and behold the only difference between the 2013 FJR1300 ADG and the 2014 FJR1300AER is the P/N on the ECU. Wiring harnesses, etc. all share the same P/Ns. If the cruise control logic is in the ECU I am ordering a new 2014 ECU and will swap it out and see what happens. My only concern is what else is controlled by the ECU? Does it need to be "initialized" on the bike to recognize everything else? Are these sub-system ECUs digitally tied to the other computers on the bike???
All very good questions. Unfortunately I have no answers. But I do know this at least- a Ford F150 I owned had a minor underseat computer crap out and just replacing it had no effect. It had to be linked to all the other gizmos in the vehicle to work. And it had to be a new installation b/c once a computer was linked to others it could not be undone. It was a one-time use component.

Of course I have no idea if Mammy Yammy has gotten that sophisticated or if I just gave them the idea to do it. If it's the latter I sure hope the check's in the mail.

But someone's got to be the Guinea Pig, I say go for it. I got an extra $5 laying around somewhere if it'll help
rolleyes.gif

Just picked up my service manual and it looks like if I can swap the ECU I just need to reset the ISC (Idle Speed Control) learning value through the diagnostic screen and I should be good. I have a few feelers out with the local dealer to see if this is a viable swap. No other computer related instructions are in the service manual other than that step.

Just picked up my service manual and it looks like if I can swap the ECU I just need to reset the ISC (Idle Speed Control) learning value through the diagnostic screen and I should be good. I have a few feelers out with the local dealer to see if this is a viable swap. No other computer related instructions are in the service manual other than that step.
Probably better than the 95% probability you were initially looking for then...

Good luck!

--G

European or Canadian FJR's have the ignition immobilizer, so this is a more difficult swap (if it's even feasible). The ignition keys with the chip are programmed into the ECU and one must have the master key to accomplish it (likely by the dealer).

Update.

Got another call from a Yamaha USA rep who shall remain nameless for reasons that will shortly become obvious. My distinct impression is that he was one of the good guys and wasn’t reading me some company line. When I enquired about the possibility of Yamaha making 2014 ECU’s available to 2013 customers at a discount and if it would work his response was the guys at Yamaha USA had put that proposal to Mamayama about an hour after the 2014 CC limit was known as they knew there would be some real unhappy 2013 customers. The answer to which was “no”. For Yamaha to make such a program available would require re-certifying the 2013 bikes through the EPA; at a cost of about $500,000. My next question: “OK. But if I go down to my dealer and buy a 2014 ECU at retail and plug it into my bike will it work?” There was a long pause on the other end of the line. That pause you get when a good cop is trying to help a citizen out but, has to choose his words with great precision. Then, out came “Jerry, I cannot advise you to do anything that would be in violation of EPA regulations. However, you are free to walk into any Yamaha dealer and purchase any part Yamaha manufactures.” Distinctly absent from his statement was any mention of potential technical difficulty with the swap.

So there’s one route.

Another possibility: The code breakers aren’t going to go to the trouble of spoofing the 2013 ECU with such a limited market for the end product. But, what if we got enough 2013 owners together who were willing to split the development cost? If there’s enough interest, I was thinking of contacting ECUnleashed (who the Tenere owners have had great luck with) for a development cost estimate. And maybe CopB8 could reach out to the guys at Flash Tune?

I'm still waiting to find out if the Gen III has an OBD II port. If it does, then it should be possible to use a Mitsubishi OBD II compliant programer to make changes. There are groups of ECM functions, some you can't change and others you can change data tables, ranges and values.

Another possibility: The code breakers aren’t going to go to the trouble of spoofing the 2013 ECU with such a limited market for the end product. But, what if we got enough 2013 owners together who were willing to split the development cost? If there’s enough interest, I was thinking of contacting ECUnleashed (who the Tenere owners have had great luck with) for a development cost estimate. And maybe CopB8 could reach out to the guys at Flash Tune?
I have already reached out to both ECUnleashed and Flash Tune. In both cases I told them that several people would be very interested in purchasing a solution. I've yet to hear back from FT. After 3 inquiries to ECU I finally received and email back that said:

Hello Bart,

Unfortunitly at this time we are not able to remove the cruise control speed limiter. We have had several people express interest in this option and we have begun looking into it.

Thanks,

-ECUnleashed Staff

AKjitsu,

If I get the same response from my guy I guess I will have to be the first guinea pig. That is encouraging.

Found this online...

2014 FJR1300 Engine Control Unit Assy

1MC-8591A-50-00

$570.59

Update.
Got another call from a Yamaha USA rep who shall remain nameless for reasons that will shortly become obvious. My distinct impression is that he was one of the good guys and wasn’t reading me some company line. When I enquired about the possibility of Yamaha making 2014 ECU’s available to 2013 customers at a discount and if it would work his response was the guys at Yamaha USA had put that proposal to Mamayama about an hour after the 2014 CC limit was known as they knew there would be some real unhappy 2013 customers. The answer to which was “no”. For Yamaha to make such a program available would require re-certifying the 2013 bikes through the EPA; at a cost of about $500,000. My next question: “OK. But if I go down to my dealer and buy a 2014 ECU at retail and plug it into my bike will it work?” There was a long pause on the other end of the line. That pause you get when a good cop is trying to help a citizen out but, has to choose his words with great precision. Then, out came “Jerry, I cannot advise you to do anything that would be in violation of EPA regulations. However, you are free to walk into any Yamaha dealer and purchase any part Yamaha manufactures.” Distinctly absent from his statement was any mention of potential technical difficulty with the swap.

So there’s one route.

Remember that if this doesn't work, electrical/electronic components are rarely accepted for returns, so you could be stuck with an expensive piece of electronic sculpture. Another option is to find a 2014 owner who is willing to loan his/her ECU to a 2013 owner for a try-out/swap. Obvious danger with this is that the 2014 ECU might no longer function properly when returned to the original bike. This seems highly unlikely, but if it did happen, the 2014 owner could then take the bike back to the dealer in order to get the damaged 2014 ECU repaired or replaced under warranty, and he/she might have to lie about how the damage occurred, because Yamaha would no doubt consider this tampering and void the warranty. Even less likely, but also possible, is that some kind of voltage differential might blow out some parts on the 2013 or damage the 2014 ECU internally. You could end up with two non-working FJRs. Of course, electronics could be damaged if someone simply buys a 2014 ECU and tries it on a 2013, but at least that way you'd end up with only one non-working FJR.

I would have to be very drunk to try this.