2013 Cruise control: Phooey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AKjitsu,

If I get the same response from my guy I guess I will have to be the first guinea pig. That is encouraging.

Found this online...

2014 FJR1300 Engine Control Unit Assy

1MC-8591A-50-00

$570.59
Tell you what MN. If you are willing to give it a try and it doesn't work, let me know and I'll split the cost with you. $571 sounds like a hell of a lot less of a hit than the bike is going to take in resale value (at least out here in the wild west) with a silly limited cruise control.

I hope the service manual I received from my dealer is the real deal. Reading about the ECU swap...

Disconnect the fuel pump, then turn on the bike, go into the diagnostic screen, get to option 67, then flip the starter button 3 times from off to run without engaging the starter. After that shift the bike into gear and extended the kickstand. Thats resets the ISC. Turn the bike off, reconnect the fuel pump and thats it.

Really? Reads like a damn Onion article.

I have spent some additional time researching the other pertinent components, injectors, meter, wiring harnesses, solenoids, camshafts, sensors, etc. All of the 2014 P/Ns are the same as the 2013 for the AE/AD models. Looks like it's time to order an ECU. Won't get to test the cruise for awhile around here! Zero degrees and snow precludes any riding for a bit. Should be able to test for everything else though, engine operation, etc.

One thing I did see...there is already an updated P/N for the 2013 ECU...what the hell is that??? The P/N is different from the 2014 unit though.

Lots of ECU vehicles go through those hoops for end users to make changes. Changing the door chime in the car includes turning on/off the ignition 5 times in under 30 seconds (after other things). At the dealership, they just plug in their (costly) mfgr digital tool and pick the change from a menu of options and upload the change.

I hope the service manual I received from my dealer is the real deal. Reading about the ECU swap...
Disconnect the fuel pump, then turn on the bike, go into the diagnostic screen, get to option 67, then flip the starter button 3 times from off to run without engaging the starter. After that shift the bike into gear and extended the kickstand. Thats resets the ISC. Turn the bike off, reconnect the fuel pump and thats it.
Don't forget to stand on one leg, pat yer head, and rub yer belly.

{anxiously awaiting results}

I agree with bounce. Making changes on a Spyder is like some ancient ritual that runs just shy of blood sacrifice.

AKjitsu,

If I get the same response from my guy I guess I will have to be the first guinea pig. That is encouraging.

Found this online...

2014 FJR1300 Engine Control Unit Assy

1MC-8591A-50-00

$570.59
www.partshark.com

ENGINE CONTROL UNIT (1MC-8591A-50-00) $565.4

Don't forget to stand on one leg, pat yer head, and rub yer belly.

{anxiously awaiting results}
"You put your left foot in. You put your left foot out................. and that's what its all about."

Looks like it's time to order an ECU. Won't get to test the cruise for awhile around here! Zero degrees and snow precludes any riding for a bit. Should be able to test for everything else though, engine operation, etc.
You could disconnect the traction control and run it on the center stand. But I'd be real careful. I'd hate to see you having to explain to the wife why there's a hole through the garage door shaped just like you on a motorcycle .

And I'm dead serious about my prior offer. If you're willing to try something that could benefit a bunch of us, there's no way you should bear that risk alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's time to order an ECU. Won't get to test the cruise for awhile around here! Zero degrees and snow precludes any riding for a bit. Should be able to test for everything else though, engine operation, etc.
You could disconnect the traction control and run it on the center stand. But I'd be real careful. I'd hate to see you having to explain to the wife why there's a hole through the garage door shaped just like you on a motorcycle .

And I'm dead serious about my prior offer. If you're willing to try something that could benefit a bunch of us, there's no way you should bear that risk alone.
That's a generous offer, and I applaud your spirit. At the same time, I have to say that I can't believe there are many people who are going to spend $600+ so they can set their CC 20mph faster when for $100+ you can get a throttle-lock or a throttle-meister. This whole idea is dumber than a box of rocks.

That's a generous offer, and I applaud your spirit. At the same time, I have to say that I can't believe there are many people who are going to spend $600+ so they can set their CC 20mph faster when for $100+ you can get a throttle-lock or a throttle-meister. This whole idea is dumber than a box of rocks.
Perhaps true. But, bear in mind that if it weren't for dumb ideas we'd never have flown, gone to the Moon, built skyscrapers, or enjoyed marguerita drinking contests.

As for myself, I already use a throttle lock but I'm concerned with protecting the bike's resale value.

Really? Reads like a damn Onion article.

I have spent some additional time researching the other pertinent components, injectors, meter, wiring harnesses, solenoids, camshafts, sensors, etc. All of the 2014 P/Ns are the same as the 2013 for the AE/AD models. Looks like it's time to order an ECU. Won't get to test the cruise for awhile around here! Zero degrees and snow precludes any riding for a bit. Should be able to test for everything else though, engine operation, etc.

One thing I did see...there is already an updated P/N for the 2013 ECU...what the hell is that??? The P/N is different from the 2014 unit though.
Sounds like they don't want you to accidentally reset it through normal activity.
biggrin.png

As for myself, I already use a throttle lock but I'm concerned with protecting the bike's resale value.
Yea, it might drop the value a full $700 and that would suck!

I kid!
biggrin.png

Oh, come on AK. You know if you're doing it right you'll ride through the gates of the scrap metal yard after riding your '13 about 650,000 miles, just in time for what's left of your bike to disintegrate out from under you while you gracefully and without missing a beat stride up to your brand new '23 FJR (trailered there by your supermodel girlfriend, of course) with a big grin on your face.
winksmiley02.gif

I seriously don't think the CC will affect resale. If the CC doesn't bother you, chances are IF you do sell it, it'll be to someone on your area and won't bother them either. I would think an ECU swap would have more negative connotations than a limited CC...JMHO.

Or sell it to someone who lives EAST of the Mississippi River.

And there has already been one very generous offer of a free, loving home for it.
smile.png

The response I received from the mothership..."We have not tested the interchangeability of the ECU's and therefore do not recommend it. This may cause issues with driveability, performance, and/or on-board diagnostics. Again, this not not recommended."

Sure sounds like, "Well, we haven't tried it, but the lawyers do not want us doing anything that would take us afoul of Dear Leader and his minions at the EPA."

I am going to do a little more checking to verify pin outs, and then it looks like I will be ordering an ECU to "test".

palerider, Thanks for your vote of confidence and your valuable input into the conversation.
jester.gif
tease.gif

So are we sure a 2014 ECU from the non-ES version of the 2014 will solve the Cruise Control problem in a 2013 and operate everything else as normal? Is it confirmed that's where the logic lies for the CC?
If someone can tell me they are even 95% sure that a 2014 non-ES ECU will work in the 2013 I will give it a shot. What I see on the parts sites looks like this:

2014 ECU 1MC-8581A-50-00

2013 ECU 1MC-8591A-21-00
Schematic from FSM:

[if I could post a picture in the same manner as every other freakin' forum on planet earth there would be a nice, easy to read schematic here.]

Link to it:

https://s1322.photobucket.com/user/Bergmen/media/Motorcycling/Yamaha%202014%20FJR1300A/YamahaFJR1300CruiseControlSchematic_zps872a698e.jpg.html?sort=2&o=38

Dan

The response I received from the mothership..."We have not tested the interchangeability of the ECU's and therefore do not recommend it. This may cause issues with driveability, performance, and/or on-board diagnostics. Again, this not not recommended."
I see what they did there
winksmiley02.gif