2013 Cruise control: Phooey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AK, I hear what you're saying about pariah vehicles. Although I personally think an 80 MPH CC limit would be a really silly reason for a bike to become a pariah, people can be silly.
Your post made me wonder, though: would the ability to “fix” the issue with an ECU swap-out on your bike (or a flash, or whatever…) really make any difference to the resale value of your bike? What I’m saying is if the ‘13s become generally known over time and in the general marketplace as the “don’t touch that year” bike (I really don’t think they will, but for the sake of discussion…) how are you going to overcome that? By explaining in your Kijiji ad that you “fixed” the issue on YOUR bike? There will be a market price (or at least a range) and your “fix” might nudge your particular bike up within that range but I’m not sure it would be enough to erase the general market impression and its impact on prices. I guess that’s another reason that folks like you thinking about resale prices would prefer that Yammy do a “fix” akin to a recall, because that would lessen the risk of a stigma being created over the bike.

Anyhow, I wish you luck in your quest. I don’t think I’ll be affecting the market by putting my ’13 up for sale any time soon, but I understand your thinking.
Hmmm.... you make a damned good point GMan. Even if mine were "fixed" I would still have to get past the threshold of getting potential buyers to even look at it. And if I were to trade it the dealer certainly wouldn't give a rats ass. To the dealer, a 2013 is a 2013. Thanks for interjecting some productive thought. A lot more useful than "I don't care about it so nobody else should either.".

I actually like the 80mph limit it has saved my ass from getting a ticket several times....it i could have set it at 95 i would have and that would have been bad......Just ask Roy.....
But i do like that Red....

oh well back home in 3 weeks then i will have to worry about it......or not.

R
+1, Gunny; that Red is incredible and if I knew it was coming out I would've waited for it, but there are custom bike paint shops here in Phoenix! JSNS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Contented with 82mph cruse on my 13, like the grey color also. Just trying to balance the scale here. Anything over 80mph I like having direct input. Just for curiosity I accelerated my 06 wing up to 110 indicated on cruse and left it there a bit, did not like the feeling of something else running my life at that speed.

I have never felt so totally messed over. Not only do I not have a cruise control, my 06 is a real piece of work. Had to add G2 tube and a power commander to tame her. Spider bites and altitude sickness required my ECU change out - now the odometer doesn't even show the right mileage - I have to do a little math for my actual mileage. The heck with her she is going out by the trash bin tonight. Hey there is an 06 for sale on this site with 7x as many miles for the price I paid. I think I will keep her. I think I might put a cruise control on her. Joe
This thread is proof that the "Great Recession" is officially over.

Hmmm.... you make a damned good point GMan. Even if mine were "fixed" I would still have to get past the threshold of getting potential buyers to even look at it. And if I were to trade it the dealer certainly wouldn't give a rats ass. To the dealer, a 2013 is a 2013. Thanks for interjecting some productive thought. A lot more useful than "I don't care about it so nobody else should either.".
Yep, and I was kidding but kind of serious. How much will it actually depreciate the bike. Even if there were no changes, the 2013 will still be worth less than a 2014 at most points in it's lifetime. Less in 10 years, more in the coming spring. Now, with the change to the cruise control, how much further would you have to lower the price below the already present difference to sell it? Likely it's less than the cost of a new ECU.

Best bet, spend more than the ECU and put AK20's up front and a Penske in the back. Then you get the benefit of them while you own it and it'll be that much more attractive than the stock 2014 for sale it is competing with.

Can't believe some people wouldn't buy a 13 just because it has a "absurdly low" 82MPH cruise limit!

I don't have cruise AT ALL on my 2008 and it's such a great bike I have no complaints!

I myself "cruise" at about 80 indicated on So Cal freeways so I'd probably be ok with the limit anyway.

Best bet, spend more than the ECU and put AK20's up front and a Penske in the back. Then you get the benefit of them while you own it and it'll be that much more attractive than the stock 2014 for sale it is competing with.
LOVE
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
my AKs and Penske on my '13
punk.gif

Can't believe some people wouldn't buy a 13 just because it has a "absurdly low" 82MPH cruise limit!
I don't have cruise AT ALL on my 2008 and it's such a great bike I have no complaints!

I myself "cruise" at about 80 indicated on So Cal freeways so I'd probably be ok with the limit anyway.
You can believe it. If I were in the market for a 4-6 year old FJR and was looking at a '13 and a '14 of comparable condition, I would probably pony up some extra to get the improved cc. It would not be a deal breaker as in "I just gotta have that 100mph cruise", but it would be a plus for me. I've had occassion to ride in places where 85+ cruise would be nice. I certainly wouldn't turn away a great deal on the right '13. I don't think this issue is going to make a pariah out of these bikes.

Let's face it, I don't need cruise at all, but I want it, I'm installing one now on ol' Bluey. I agree with the Gixxer and Wlfman, fugedda about the ECU swap and put that money toward AK's and a Penske. That'll put a big smile on your face
thumbsup.gif
Makes me smile every time I ride it. I luvs my s'pension.
punk.gif

There is a 2013 FJR in the for sale on this forum with less than 300 miles for $12,000. Now that gets me thinking I can do without the red and higher CC limit.

FWIW, it is not as though we "don't care". I just do not think it is going to be enough difference to your bank statement to matter. You have to realize that for a huge number of us, that 80 mph limit is no issue. I was furious that Yamaha did it to begin with, but since they acknowledged the issue and made the change it does not bother me as much. I understand completely that it is different in your area than here. I have sympathy for that. Again, I don't think it is really going to hurt the resale value that much. By the time you trade it, sell it, or whatever you do, I don't think the money difference will be that great.

Honestly for ME (not everybody) the color difference is more important from '13 to '14. If you are that concerned, try selling it now and cut your losses. I can assure you that there are plenty of folks East of the Big Muddy who will not suffer with an 80 mph limit. I for one would love to have that bike. If I had the money, I would not hesitate. Although I like that Red much better.

LOVE
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
my AKs and Penske on my '13
punk.gif
Me too!

(I love MY AK's & Penske, not yours. I've never even met yours.)

Honestly for ME (not everybody) the color difference is more important from '13 to '14.
BINGO! There's such a vast difference in the 'attitude' of the 2 colors that people will strongly gravitate to one or the other with little to know regard for the CC limit.
Actually CopB8, I plan to two tone my 2013 FJR with the red prior to SW-FOG 2014 in June! Photograph courtesy of Greg "SkooterG" Marbach.

Baja085.jpg

Honestly for ME (not everybody) the color difference is more important from '13 to '14.
BINGO! There's such a vast difference in the 'attitude' of the 2 colors that people will strongly gravitate to one or the other with little to know regard for the CC limit.
Actually CopB8, I plan to two tone my 2013 FJR with the red prior to SW-FOG 2014 in June! Photograph courtesy of Greg "SkooterG" Marbach.
Ya know, that might look freak'n awesome! Maybe one of the Photoshop guru's of the board can render that up.

Ya know, that might look freak'n awesome! Maybe one of the Photoshop guru's of the board can render that up.
I'll ask Bustanut joker if he can render that up, but don't be surprised if he puts a sheep in my lap! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll ask Bustanut joker if he can render that up, but don't be surprised if he puts a sheep in my lap! jes' sayin' and nuff said!
How the Hell is he gonna impose a sheep over Skooter?

Looks like the swap is a drop in...HOWEVER...there is more than just the cruise control processing stored on the ECU. A new ECU also shows up as 0 miles on the odometer(or the x.2 miles from the donor bike :).) Not sure I want to deal with mileage issue should you decide to sell the bike. Will require additional paperwork at time of sale I am pretty sure. The ECU also has default settings for the fuel system. These are tweaked at the factory during engine testing immediately after assembly. Will require a trip to the exhaust gas analyzer to get the fuel mixtures correct. Idle is off by a couple thousand RPM, the ISC reset should fix that. Guess I will learn to live with 82mph.

Rode to the dealer in Memphis and everyone there, in all departments, said they hadn't heard about the 2013 FJRs having a 80mph limit on their cruise.

They called their Yamaha contact, to no avail, then to USA Customer Service, also to no avail. I called, same answer. As others have stated Yamaha has no plans to do anything about the 2013 cruise control limitation.

So life goes on. Wifman, was there anything in the "other" threads about any third party attempting to solve this? I'd pay.

Shuey

Thanks MNF for taking a bullet on this. It was a clever idea.

I think it's time to throw in the towel. I've contacted a couple of ECU tuners and none have any interest in putting any work into a product with such a narrow market it seems. Understandable really.

So I'm just going to enjoy what I have and use a throttle lock above 82. Or maybe I'll just slow down a bit and take in the beautiful West Texas scenery......................................NAH!

No one has pointed this out and it is obvious to me. The 2013 is a time machine. If the cruise was capable of being set at 88 mph we would all be time traveling. To keep that from happening they crippled the cruise. The 14 is obviously a crippled model with out the time travel chip. Now put a throttle lock on it and find a flat road and travel into the future and tell us what color the 15 will be?

Carry on!

Joe