2013 Cruise control: Phooey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously don't think the CC will affect resale. If the CC doesn't bother you, chances are IF you do sell it, it'll be to someone on your area and won't bother them either. I would think an ECU swap would have more negative connotations than a limited CC...JMHO.
+1, Gunny; I'm with 'Zilla (I am going to Mass this morning after saying that!), I really cannot envision this impacting resale value. I plan on keeping my 2013 "Naomie Harris" for ten years, just like I did with my Miss Lucy Liu!

I doubt it'll effect resale at all. Most buyers aren't going to know, or won't care. There's just a small group of us that do. I really care because I usually keep bikes for several years. Had my '04 for 9 and plan on doing the same with the '13. I don't want to have a compromised bike for then next 8 years. I've missed using CC many times already due to the limitation. Currently I've added a $20 throttle lock for those times I want to set above 80mph but I hate those things. I hate slowing down on the uphills and speeding up on the other side. Especially hate this when riding with other riders.

So if this works it looks like we have a good solution for $600. That's a whole lot less that the $4000-$5000 it'd take me to get into an '14 and then be stuck with that color.

Well, I got a phone call from Yamaha USA re; my inquiry as to whether there was going to be an easy fix for the 2013 cruise control limitation. Their response could be summarized as “No fix exists. None planned. Tough shit.”

This chaps my shorts not so much because of any effect it has on the way I operate the bike but rather the hit the resale value the 2013’s will take, at least here west of the Rockies. I’m afraid the 2013’s will be something of a financial pariah. I know of two guys who refused to consider the 2013 because of the CC limit but now have deposits down on the luscious 2014 redheads.

I rarely actually use the cruise control as I find a thumb type throttle lock to be just about as useful as, and in some cases more useful than, electronic cruise.

I’ve always had great luck with Yamaha’s products and admire the company. But, this episode has left me a tad bitter. And before somebody starts with the “You knew it when you bought it.” bullshit: No I didn’t. It didn’t occur to me to ask if the cruise control had an absurdly low limit for the same reason I didn’t ask if it had an electric starter or functioning headlights. There was no reason to think a modern motor vehicle would have such a preposterous deficiency. And apparently, Yamaha agrees with me.
first-world-problems_o_931604_zps195e962b.jpg

I'm with 'Zilla and beemerdons.

The CC isn't something that, I believe, most people will consider an issue for resale.

This isn't like the 2013 Spyder. It has a 1000cc engine. The 2014 has a 1300cc engine. That is something that will hurt resale value.

Also, a few 2013 Spyders burst into flames and burned to utter crisps.

I'm with 'Zilla and beemerdons.
The CC isn't something that, I believe, most people will consider an issue for resale.

This isn't like the 2013 Spyder. It has a 1000cc engine. The 2014 has a 1300cc engine. That is something that will hurt resale value.

Do you know why those Spyders burst into flames? Because they have car tires on them. We keep telling you guys.

Anyway...At the least, I'm with Ray. It'll be cool to see if this ECU swap can be done without issue. I donno that I wouldn't put out some phone calls and wait until a wrecked '14 shows up and take a used ECU from that for less money. But I'm a tight bastard, so maybe what I think is dumb.

I'm in the process of installing CC on my mighty Gen1. I'm glad it will operate above 80 mph. While better than nothing, the throttle lock is a pita to modulate at times. If (and when) I'm in the market for a gen3 in a few years the CC issue would be a consideration. IOW, I'd pay extra to get that 100mph CC.

Jus' my .02

Hey.........If I put a'14 ECU in my Gen1 will I get CC and traction control too???

I kid, I kid.

Do you know why those Spyders burst into flames? Because they have car tires on them. We keep telling you guys.
Heat was building up in a way that caused melting of certain plastic pieces in the fuel system. BRP announced a recall several months ago and has a fix for the issue.

Only two Spyders have burned, but since one of the fires was at a Spyder demo event, the . . . heat issue . . . got press out of porportion to the problem.

That coupled with the bigger engine of the '14, and you can find a brand new '13 for less than a slightly used '12.

The response I received from the mothership..."We have not tested the interchangeability of the ECU's and therefore do not recommend it. This may cause issues with driveability, performance, and/or on-board diagnostics. Again, this not not recommended."
Sure sounds like, "Well, we haven't tried it, but the lawyers do not want us doing anything that would take us afoul of Dear Leader and his minions at the EPA."

I am going to do a little more checking to verify pin outs, and then it looks like I will be ordering an ECU to "test".

palerider, Thanks for your vote of confidence and your valuable input into the conversation.
jester.gif
tease.gif
Hey, no problem. Good luck. I hope it works out.

As for myself, I already use a throttle lock but I'm concerned with protecting the bike's resale value.
Oh, come on AK. You know if you're doing it right you'll ride through the gates of the scrap metal yard after riding your '13 about 650,000 miles, just in time for what's left of your bike to disintegrate out from under you while you gracefully and without missing a beat stride up to your brand new '23 FJR (trailered there by your supermodel girlfriend, of course) with a big grin on your face.
winksmiley02.gif
I certainly appreciate the good wishes and you've of course described the right and honorable way to retire an FJR. The chronological reality though, is that this FJR may well outlive my ability to deal with two wheels. (I'm not saying how old I am but, the saguaro cactus around here address me as "Sir" out of respect for my seniority.) So resale $ is, regrettably, a concern. Dang it.

Miscellaneous:

I of course cannot know know with certainty if the 2013 CC will trash resale value. But, I've been around for a long, long time and have seen a lot of stuff go down; to include some particular runs of vehicles be deemed pariahs. It's real easy to see some guy from Nevada on this forum in 2016 looking for advise on buying a used Gen III and a bunch of voices chiming in to say "You don't want that 2013 POS cause the cruise control is fucked for where you live". If you think I'm wrong in that head on over to the Adventure Rider forum and look at the advice being to potential buyers of certain years of certain models. To the present case; I personally know two guys who refused to buy 2013's because they found the CC limit to be a damned insult to Americans. They both have deposits down on 2014's. I'm no more prescient than the next guy so, I'll just have to go on experience to guide me as to how to best provide for my future.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on the operation of throttle locks. I've never been able to get the hang of the bar end types like Throttlemeister and Kaoko. Every time you set it you have to adjust the friction just right. And then if you want to change the throttle setting just a bit, the damned thing either disengages or tightens up. Thumb type locks such as the Kurykan on the other hand, are pretty easy to live with. You set the friction once during installation. From there on, it's just thumb it on and thumb it off when riding. If you have the friction set correctly, it's a trivial matter to make small throttle adjustments while underway. Granted, you do have to make small compensations for up or down grades. But when you're riding something like an FJR which has approximately the same torque curve as an Iowa class battleship, those adjustments are within the micrometer range. When one has to back down 5 MPH because of coming up on slower traffic or the leader of the pack has his radar detector go off I personally find it a lot less bothersome to just back the throttle down a smidge than to poke the damn CC button five times. And then there's passing. I'm a serial waiver. Can't help it. When I see another bike one of my hands will unbidden just fly into the air. When starting a pass on other bikes on a 2 lane road, I can just set the throttle lock to "yeehaw", leaving my right hand free to waive to my heart's content. Try that with cruise control.

Last edited by a moderator:
AK, I hear what you're saying about pariah vehicles. Although I personally think an 80 MPH CC limit would be a really silly reason for a bike to become a pariah, people can be silly.

Your post made me wonder, though: would the ability to “fix” the issue with an ECU swap-out on your bike (or a flash, or whatever…) really make any difference to the resale value of your bike? What I’m saying is if the ‘13s become generally known over time and in the general marketplace as the “don’t touch that year” bike (I really don’t think they will, but for the sake of discussion…) how are you going to overcome that? By explaining in your Kijiji ad that you “fixed” the issue on YOUR bike? There will be a market price (or at least a range) and your “fix” might nudge your particular bike up within that range but I’m not sure it would be enough to erase the general market impression and its impact on prices. I guess that’s another reason that folks like you thinking about resale prices would prefer that Yammy do a “fix” akin to a recall, because that would lessen the risk of a stigma being created over the bike.

Anyhow, I wish you luck in your quest. I don’t think I’ll be affecting the market by putting my ’13 up for sale any time soon, but I understand your thinking.

Thanks for all this information!!

Thought I was really dumb buying a 2014 instead of the 2013, only because I liked the 2014 red color better. Now I have a real excuse for buying the 2014!

Now I can tell my wife that the 2013 would of had no re-sale value with that trashy CC, and that extra money spent on the 2014 was a wise investment!

Thought I was really dumb buying a 2014 instead of the 2013, only because I liked the 2014 red color better. Now I have a real excuse for buying the 2014!

Now I can tell my wife that the 2013 would of had no re-sale value with that trashy CC, and that extra money spent on the 2014 was a wise investment!
Yeah, just be sure to turn off your communicator if your wife's on the back when you engage that CC at 100 MPH!

If the only negative about a '13 is it's cruise control then I don't see why it still won't be VASTLY more desirable then a '12 and below whose cruise control is 80mph lower than the '13.
+1, Gunny; very well said CopB8, it is nice to finally read a common sense statement on this silly ass CC issue! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

And with this item, your '13 FJR is even more desirable because Throttlemeister cruise control lets you set the speed at 145mph! JSNS!

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't forget that the front fender comes finished on the 2014 too.

I have never felt so totally messed over. Not only do I not have a cruise control, my 06 is a real piece of work. Had to add G2 tube and a power commander to tame her. Spider bites and altitude sickness required my ECU change out - now the odometer doesn't even show the right mileage - I have to do a little math for my actual mileage. The heck with her she is going out by the trash bin tonight.

Hey there is an 06 for sale on this site with 7x as many miles for the price I paid.

I think I will keep her.

I think I might put a cruise control on her.

Joe

I actually like the 80mph limit it has saved my ass from getting a ticket several times....it i could have set it at 95 i would have and that would have been bad......Just ask Roy.....

But i do like that Red....

oh well back home in 3 weeks then i will have to worry about it......or not.

R