2013--Erratic/Random Coolant Temp Readout--Problem?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
This is my first FJR. 997 miles, ambient temp 53f, cursing along at 60-70mph. Cold coolant level is just above half way between low and high marks on center stand.

While riding 60-70mph--Look down and notice C. Temp change from 189f to 140f. WTF? Keep watching and every 5-6 seconds at change intervals I'm seeing total randomness:

Etc. Highest was 190, lowest 140. When I slow to below 20-30mph it appears to stabilize to 168 or so, which I've observed before as normal operating temp under these conditions.

When I stop, temp also returns to 168 or so, gradually climbs at stop lights, and gradually decreases when I accelerate. Tested in my garage, and acts normally when stopped, including climbing to 221, where cooling fans come on.

All other readouts normal, and like I said, maybe I've always glanced at this and never noticed the changing.

Called dealer. He said didn't know for sure, but said sensor was at place where it could be very sensitive to changes and could explain while riding around it's fluctuating.

Uh, normal? If not, any idea of what it could be? Is my baby sick?

I would be suspicious of the thermostat, temp sensor and sensor wire connections. My Gen II has bars but my bars are usually 3 or 4 dependent on outside temp - they don't vary at speed with a constant temp. Sometimes it goes to 5 or so on a hot day in stop and go traffic.

It will be interesting to see another Gen III owner's response.

Yes warranty is highly recommended. I got it for $400 and it payed for itself when my instrument cluster was replaced.

totally normal..it freaked me out at first too...dont sweat it. UNLIKE the bars on Gen II, the readout is digital and sensitive, and thus, fluctuates frequently .

Fluctuating "frequently" by 50 degrees is "totally normal"?

ab.jpg

I agree.....the thermostat should open and close continuously hence the different temps....
R
Thanks. Yours vary by this much at random (in case you needed an excuse to take a quick ride)?

totally normal..it freaked me out at first too...dont sweat it. UNLIKE the bars on Gen II, the readout is digital and sensitive, and thus, fluctuates frequently .

Same question as RadioHowie--you seeing random numbers like the changes I posted? Also, does it calm down at slow speeds/stopped? Thanks.

I agree.....the thermostat should open and close continuously hence the different temps....
R

Neither of my 2009 FZ6s did nor does my FZ1 do this. Fairly constant temp with slow increases/decreases as warranted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not buying 50F spread after the bike is completely hot and moving. Engine will operate right around thermostat temperature until the ambient temp changes or air flow stops at traffic lights.

Sumtin' isn't right with that weirdness...

--G

My 08 did some temp gauge wierdness the other day. I had just started and warmed up the bike, then got on the freeway for about a 15 mile ride to my destination. About 2 minutes after I got on the freeway I glanced down and noticed the bars on the gauge were all the way to the top and the last one was blinking at me. Wow. I looked for the next exit to get off and check it out, but before I could get off, it had gone back to normal. I'm guessing the thermostat was stuck or the sensor glitched out. First time I've seen that in 30,000+ miles on this bike. Hasn't done it since either.

GP

I have seen mine anywhere from 140ish to up over 210, didn't freak me out as i drive a 50 year Ford so i am used to it....

R

Super-Duper POS Gen IIIs!!!

That just ain't fucking right!

So, for the great Gen IIIs, we have.............

- A POS cruise control limited to 'retarded level'.

- Missing swingarm mud flaps.

- Exhaust guard on one side and not the other. WTF????

- And now freaky possessed temp gauges.

Did I miss anything?

I wonder what will be next?

Checked the temp reading on my EU model this morning. (Mine states temp in celcius.)

Did not check it all the time, but the variation does not seem to be alarming to me:

At similar speeds (120 / 130 kph) varying temps between 75 celsius and 90 celcius. I can live with that...
smile.png

TMI. For the love of dog, why did Yamaha display the coolant temperature in numbers? When the Gen II came out with more bars to display temperature than the Gen I had we enjoyed two years of posts asking how many degrees per bar and obsessing over having one bar more showing than another FJR next to them. Put one on/off idiot light on it and be done with it
laugh.png
Now we have an entire new generation of FJR owners that won't be able to sleep at night or ride during the day because their cooling system is showing 4 degrees more/less than they think it should; varies with the speed of the vehicle; varies with ambient temperature; varies with having the side louvers open or changed after they installed a rear tail light flasher. BUT WAIT ---- can you imagine the train wreck of threads we will have when someone replaces their coolant and the readings are suddenly different? I declare the digital coolant temperature value readout EVIL, nothing good is going to come of this
smile.png

wink.png
I just couldn't wait for Friday for this one.

I have seen mine anywhere from 140ish to up over 210, didn't freak me out as i drive a 50 year Ford so i am used to it....
R
Thanks. Not doubting your observations, but--to be sure I'm clear, you are seeing large jumps up and down every few seconds?. Not doubting what I have is "normal" and a "feature", but it does appear unique to this bike--my FZ1 doesn't do it. Man I feel like an idiot if this is the first I'm noticing (should keep eyes on road), but I would swear I've glanced at the thing enough in the past that I would have noticed it before.....
fool.gif

You seeing these large swings as you ride?

I'm hoping it's a "feature" for bar conversations. Maybe

TMI. For the love of dog, why did Yamaha display the coolant temperature in numbers? When the Gen II came out with more bars to display temperature than the Gen I had we enjoyed two years of posts asking how many degrees per bar and obsessing over having one bar more showing than another FJR next to them. Put one on/off idiot light on it and be done with it
laugh.png
Now we have an entire new generation of FJR owners that won't be able to sleep at night or ride during the day because their cooling system is showing 4 degrees more/less than they think it should; varies with the speed of the vehicle; varies with ambient temperature; varies with having the side louvers open or changed after they installed a rear tail light flasher. BUT WAIT ---- can you imagine the train wreck of threads we will have when someone replaces their coolant and the readings are suddenly different? I declare the digital coolant temperature value readout EVIL, nothing good is going to come of this
smile.png

wink.png
I just couldn't wait for Friday for this one.
Just us type A(+) folks won't be able to sleep. Even as the best deal in sport-tourers, this bee-otch was $14 large, and she should be PERFECT. PERFECT I TELL YOU. Oh, the humanity!.....
no.gif
I guess I won't start my other thread--I have a problem with my tire pressure rising and falling with the ambient temperatures.....:cool:

I guess I won't start my other thread--I have a problem with my tire pressure rising and falling with the ambient temperatures.....:cool:
The beemer I was riding this fall had that defect in their TPMS readout. I guess the tires didn't have enough N2 in the air, or maybe the tires were still filled with summer air in the middle of the fall.