2013--Erratic/Random Coolant Temp Readout--Problem?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could do like we used to back in the day when an annoying idiot light just wouldn't go out. Put a piece of tape over it.
rolleyes.gif

Pseudo-Fed,I only have 500 miles on my '13 but, the temp readings do NOT jump around like that. They flux 2-3 degrees with the up and downshift of the gears, then get steady as the mph becomes constant. If mine were acting like yours I would not think it was normal!

My week old 2013 fluctuates just as described here. 1st ride in 50 degree temps & the guage was all over the place. Earlier in the evening the guage sat steady at 160 & that was lower than I was accustomed to seeing. As the ambient temp fell the guage became more erratic.

I've noticed too as someone posted here that as ambient temp rises, the fluctuations decrease. In 80 degree weather or higher the numbers more closely resemble the readings on my FZ1. No worries! Although It may have to become a "problem" I tell my wife about needing the 2014 model....;-)

Although my GEN1 rules in the crazy! erratic! random! coolant temp readout issue, I may break down and get the new RED GENIII with all these problematic issues!

...the crazy! erratic! random! coolant temp readout issue...
You should do some research. One FJR owner recently had to park his motorcycle because it was reading one entire bar low from where it use to. We tried to lie to him that it was no issue but he was too wise for that. I tried to fool him, telling him about parts that I made up. Fortunately he saw through that too. In the end he found the defective part that almost destroyed his FJR. I wouldn't just causally disregard an erotic erratic temperature gauge, it could cause you to crash while your motorcycle is blowing up and the tires falling off. Or not. Never trust an erratic temp gauge.

wink.png

Erratic temp gauge and all there is probably, nay, almost certainly a '14 in my future.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should do some research. One FJR owner recently had to park his motorcycle because it was reading one entire bar low from where it use to. We tried to lie to him that it was no issue but he was too wise for that. I tried to fool him, telling him about parts that I made up. Fortunately he saw through that too. In the end he found the defective part that almost destroyed his FJR. I wouldn't just causally disregard an erotic erratic temperature gauge, it could cause you to crash while your motorcycle is blowing up and the tires falling off. Or not. Never trust an erratic temp gauge.

wink.png

Erratic temp gauge and all there is probably, nay, almost certainly a '14 in my future.
Who pissed in your Wheaties today, Alan?
rolleyes.gif

Looking at the '14, I think there will be an (American) red one in my future too! (Never cared much for black bikes) Unfortunately, it will likely be in 2017 or so! My '07 only just completed its first 100,000 miles so it is just approaching middle-age. Not worth enough as a trade-in on a new bike so I will end out running it until its done!

wink.png

biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png