2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm not following something. Everybody demanded modernization, hi-tech stuff. Now they're whining because the taillights aren't LED. (Just an example, not picking on anybody in particular.)

So here's the new stuff:

Fly-by-wire throttle, which enables both traction control and cruise control as standard. Still a 5-speed, but the ratios are adjusted to make 5th taller for lower revs at cruise. 2 performance maps available on the D-mode thingie. Windshield stays where you want it, and moves faster when you adjust it. LEDs for the lights that were the hardest to get to to replace (front running/turn lights.) New dash layout, so what if it's digital speedometer? (I'll tell you right now that I would prefer a nice big set of numbers instead of trying to count those blurry 10-lines to see if I'm doing 65 or 75. I can't see the dash well enough to read it without reading glasses, and with reading glasses I can't see the road. Guess which I want to see.)

Oh, yeah. They did that (cruise control, traction control, quieter cruising) for only 3 hunnert bucks.

And it's not good enough??!?!?!?! Really??!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
RadioHowie, Bustanut joker and Papa Chuy Viejo are buying new FJR's when they make the beer can holders and "Auto Sucks" standard factory equipment; and we each get a free blowjob from Heidi Klum! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Heidi-Klum-workout-routine.jpg
That gal needs a pearl necklace

I just ordered one, cruise clinched the deal. Due in January, Feburary or March. Been on a C14 for the last five years, had an '05 FJR before that.

Really surprised that my user name and password still worked. I have not been on here in years.

You guys still as friendly as ever? :)

Fly-by-wire is The Big Thing here. It's not an "Oh, by the way" feature. It is THE improvement on the bike. But will it respond to WOT starts when the bike is flooded? :p
I'd bet that you get fuel cut at WOT even if you don't get 100% duty to the throttle motor.

This is just funny.

Not worth the hype? I didn't see any hype from Yamaha. Best we got was that there'd be minor changes. I'd say it's a bit more than that.

And if I dare say it. It appears there's more changes to this bike than there was between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 2 got ABS standardized, but it was an option beforehand. It also got a slight redesign in the looks department and heat management. And then there were the minor changes like the dreaded throttle cam.

This bike has loads more changes than all of that. I see no reason this bike doesn't qualify to be a Gen 3.

Am I wrong here? I think we got less than we wanted, but it was certainly more than I expected.

New, electronic cruise control system is also part of the YCC-T family of functions. The control buttons are located on the L.H.S. handlebar switch gear.
I wonder if I can get one of those left switch housing assemblies for a cruise install on my gen 2?

Kudos to Yamaha for adding what they did AND losing weight in the process. I'd love to have that dash and handlebar mounted controls too. Glad there's no AE though, makes me even happier about getting my leftover AE last month!

How has Yamaha done with ride-by-wire on their other bikes? Most of the bikes I've ridden with it make me miss having a cable.

Something else just clicked in my head while riding home from work, that I read before leaving. "The rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons the other two front pistons." So the rear is not a single piston sliding caliper any more, apparently.

Will it be a piston on each side (hope there's room in the wheel!) or will it be 2 smaller pistons and still a sliding caliper, like the front of my daughter's Mustang?

My dual sport may have seen it's last days come spring. Now the question is can I fit 2 FJR's in the same bay. :huh: Lord knows the wife is not giving up her spot. :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind setting one up for LD riding.

Then again I almost got taken out this morning. Jeep liberty crossed all the way over the yellow into my lane on a curve. Must have been texting. Just missed me and I was almost in the dirt.

We shall see,

Dave

A slight change in the look of the ends of the mufflers?

fjrmuff.jpg

Noticed it appears that there are heat shields on the exhaust behind the driver's pegs to the mufflers. And the emblem on the side of the lower fairing says "1300" (looks easy to remove!)

fjrlogo13.jpg

I guess I will have to wait until my next trip to Europe and bring an AS version back with me or leave the bike in Europe and spend my summers in the Alps. I want the active suspension and the upside down forks and yes I'll say it, I don't need no stinking clutch lever.

You guys still as friendly as ever? :)
I can't answer that but Bust is crazier than ever and BeemerDons is more senile.
Please Bill, Barry and I have feelings too! Barry prefers "morbidly eccentric" and I would rather be referred to as "Alzheimered out to the Max"! Thank you for your kind consideration in this matter, Your Friends Bust and Papa!

I like it, :) I like the Bronze too. :)

All it needs is highway pegs and my butt sitting on it.

I think I'll put off the Traxxion Suspension upgrade on my Gen1 and order me one. :)

I like it, :) I like the Bronze too. :)

All it needs is highway pegs and my butt sitting on it.

I think I'll put off the Traxxion Suspension upgrade on my Gen1 and order me one. :)
Cool...order that sucker...and since your 05 is worth about $500 now, DIBS!!!

Just a thought, reading through all this.....

Isn't it a bit surprising to anyone that SkooterG hasn't chimed in yet on the new Gen III?

Oh, BTW, yes...it IS a Gen III. The Gen II is dead (finally)...Long Live The Gen III! :lol: