2014 Rumours... CFR on 'da rock' ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help me out here guys..... Isn't this thread about CFR being in New Foundland? (aka THE ROCK) So why are you guys hi jacking this thread and are talking about every other province in the east coast of Canada? Isn't that against rule 10?

Planning to go there this year and we will ride HWY 510 as far as the pavement will take us in lab.

Should be two week in NL before we turn around to spend time in Halifax.

Help me out here guys..... Isn't this thread about CFR being in New Foundland? (aka THE ROCK) So why are you guys hi jacking this thread and are talking about every other province in the east coast of Canada? Isn't that against rule 10?
Thanks Tom for pointing that out. I would like to see the Rock in all it's glory. Every one else piss off and get yer own thread.

Rob

I seem to remember suggesting Newfoundland at CFR 11 and it wasn't received too well. However I think it would make a great apre CFR14(NS) ride.

Then on to Labrador and home on the TLH.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer Lake, NL might make for a good headquarters. There are a number of hotels in the area and both Cornerbrook and Gros Morne National Park are close by. After the rally folks could head east to St John's or North to Iceberg Alley.
I've ridden in Newfoundland twice, once to St. Anthony & back and the next time all the way to St. John's. As stated earlier the roads are not very twisty but the scenery and the people are great.

No matter how you look at it you are not going to see the whole province. It would be like having a rally in Texas and expecting to see the whole state.

Deer Lake, NL might make for a good headquarters. There are a number of hotels in the area and both Cornerbrook and Gross Morne Nantional Park are close by. After the rally folks could head east to St John's or North to Iceberg Alley.I've ridden in Newfoundland twice, once to St. Anthony & back and the next time all the way to St. John's. As stated earlier the roads are not very twisty but the scenery and the people are great.
FYI,

There is a brand new Holiday Inn Express now open in Deer Lake.

Once you seen the west, you seen the best. The ride all the way up the west side of the island is great riding.

Canadian FJR
Depends on what you want to see or do. I loved the west coast especially Port au Port, Trout River and Gros Morne; all the way up to L'anse aux Meadows. Wouldn't have wanted to miss many of the other areas of the island either - Twillingate/Fogo, Bonavista, Burin, S-E Avalon (Irish Loop), St. John's etc. I would agree that a western Newfoundland location would be most practical and best "bang for the buck" - too big to see it all. Perhaps it would entice individuals to make a return trip someday to see the rest.

... I would agree that a western Newfoundland location would be most practical and best "bang for the buck" - too big to see it all. Perhaps it would entice individuals to make a return trip someday to see the rest.
IMHO a CFR on da Rock should be planned as only part of a larger trip to Newfoundland. From CFR in Deer Lake you would then have the option of going north to St Anthony to Iceberg Alley or the ferry to the Trans Labrador Highway. The other option would be to head east to St John's & Cape Spear which is as far east as you can go in North America without getting your feet wet.

DSC_0501-L.jpg

If you go east I would highly recommend you take the whale watching tour out of Witless Bay. I went out in a decent sized Zodiac and it was an amazing experience.

DSC_0378-L.jpg

DSC_0482-L.jpg

Guess I been AOL for a while here... missed this whole discussion.

I thought Alcatraz was the ROCK.......
:rofl: You 'mericans crack me up! While Alcatraz is reffered to as the rock, it's a grain of sand compared to our "Rock". :D

A Pillion ago (those at NAFO in 2008 or CFR2009 may remember Bridget) I was planning on extending my CFR2011 experience to include a trip to NL as it is her home province. Unfortunately she didn't last long enough and CFR2011 was the first rally experience for the current pillion, Rosanne (Duracell,) so we didn't make it to NL. :(

NL is definitely on my must do list and having CFR2014 there is a great excuse to get there.

"The Rock", if we ignore Labrador, is barely 15% the size of Texas (not sure why it was compared to Texas), less than 12% the size of BC, and about 7% the size of our largest province, Quebec. Even including Labrador, NL is still smaller than all the Canadian provinces and territories except the 3 maritime provinces. To suggest it is too big an area to hold a CFR seems a little bit funny.

Now if we look at the amount of paved highway, an argument may be able to be made that the number for NL might be too small to make it a viable candidate for a localized rally. Some seem to disagree, but either way, theres always the option of a "Rolling Rally". The logistics are not insurmountable.

Regardless of where or how CFR2014 happens, it'll be a great starting/mid/end point for an extended NL experience. Either on one's own or with a small group.

Just my $0.02 :)

There was a lot of talk about New foundland being the place for nexts year CFR..... I believe it is a great idea and I believe it can happen.

I can only say ..... You have to move the date. Something more like August OR even September right after labour day. Not sure who else has a FJR rally then but I strongly say.... NOT JUNE.... After "THE ROCK" you can change it backto third weekend in June.

Just curious Huron... b/c of weather I take it. And I've been to N.Scotia and PEI and it rained/foggy; 8 out of the 10 days. Is there enough bike type roads "on the rock" for us pavement thirsty ding-dongs?

Hi KJ

How's it hanging?

A friend of ours (Pam and I) told us if we were coming to ride(and visit them) on the ROCK he said end of July beginning of August....

I have also heard first part of September is dryer than June.

Just curious Huron... b/c of weather I take it. And I've been to N.Scotia and PEI and it rained/foggy; 8 out of the 10 days. Is there enough bike type roads "on the rock" for us pavement thirsty ding-dongs?
Road up to St Anthony can be rough. You may not have the balls for it.
no.gif

A few years ago one of my first decent trips on the FJR was to Newfoundland and went whale watching at Witless Bay (insert your own joke here) in a Zodiac and it was fabulous. I would suggest we try and co-ordinate with prime watching season to get the best experience since it is one of the must do items in Newfoundland. That along with getting Screeched In on George Street in St Johns.

Whale Watching Info

Just don't ask a Newfie for directions unless you got some time to burn...

Road up to St Anthony can be rough. You may not have the balls for it.
no.gif
They better be back down to normal size by then, HS!

Never been Whale Watching. Do we drink and have r normal libation hr. until one shows up or do we just play with ourselves?

We selected the middle of August for NERDS because there were no other FJR gatherings at that time of year. It's just too damn hot in most of the USA, but an escape to the VT mountains would be do-able, albeit with a normal daily threat of thunderstorms.

I may be showing my hand a bit early here, but NERDS is extremely unlikely to do a 4-peat at Stowe (after this year). As was announced in the thread in the NERDS subsection, our pivotal local dis-organizer, FJRed (not Fred), has switched jobs this spring and now consults for a company in Pittsburgh (yes, as in Pennsylvania!) He is currently doing the fly commute back and forth, but that is unlikely to continue for too long. I've told him that he is a total fool for even considering doing it, but he says they may sell the hillside estate in Waterbury and pick up digs somewhere in PA.

So, if there is to be a NERDS in 2014, it probably won't be in Stowe, and certainly doesn't have to be in August. In fact we could swap dates and have NERDS be early (in June) if there enough people to help organize something. Maybe Art's Cats and 'Dacks ride could be expanded and do the 4 days of NERDS. Northern NY has some of the very best riding that the northeast has to offer and the scenery doesn't suck either.

Lots of work and organizing that needs to be done between now and then, but if CFR on the Rock in late July or August that should work out next year.

FredW and Huron52 (as usual) are making tons of sense... (holy fuck I never thought I'd say that...)

Late July/early Aug should be possible for CFR2014... now all we need is a RallyBastard who's reasonably local...

Any takers?

Griff

Any takers?

Griff
Sorry, but I'm sitting on my hands for this one. I sort of like the idea that someone mentioned that here is the hotel number and here are the dates and leave it at that. Let everyone figure it out from there. Deer Lake is a great destination because it is at the intersection to go north to St, Anthony and Labrador or east to St. John's and the Avon Peninsula. Gross Morne National Park is right on the doorstep and Cornerbrook is close by.

I know there is a Yamaha dealer in Cornerbrook since I had to get the bike serviced there.

RidetheRock.com is a great resource for route planning plus it's damn funny to listen in to Newfies talking about riding.

You Yanks better learn how to drink like a Newfie before then though if you don't want to embarrass yourself....

Latest posts