2016 ES check engine light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing its too complex. And not OBD compliant. Can get Bluetooth or USB OBD converters for $15 off eBay. Harbor Freight often has a complete standalone unit for $40. Is my understanding all the 2016 needs is a wire pigtail from one connector to the other. Should be very easy to make or just push bare wires into each end making one on the fly.

Called one of the local dealers, Ride Motorsports in Woodinville WA, and they had another 2016 come in on Saturday with the check engine light on. They weren't able to read the bike's ECU. Said their computer system probably needs to be updated and they are working on it. I'll try another local dealer and see if they've been able to read one yet...

Got a call back from Yamaha USA. Although my local dealer could not find the 'leadwire' part in their system, Yamaha says they will be making the cable available to end users so they can scan the bike via a standard ODB device.

Geez, was the old method too hard to get codes out? Why do they need to complicate things?

Geez, was the old method too hard to get codes out? Why do they need to complicate things?
Well, I suppose it's a lot easier to make all of their new/future bikes ODB compliant rather than creating their own interface for each bike?? ODB readers are pretty easy to get and every auto parts store has them available for their customers.

I called Yamaha USA earlier in the week and asked why none of the dealers I contacted could sell me the "leadwire" part so I could use my ODB to figure out why my check engine light came on. I'd like to know which of the 40'ish sensors has triggered the event. Right know I'm a little worried about riding the bike with the light on. The called me back and informed me that the "leadwire" will be available 'very soon' for all 2016 owners.

Standardization.

OBD codes are the same across all manufacturers, which makes it much easier to figure out what a given code means (no need to consult the FSM). There's also a nice amount of additional information available from the OBD interface (usually), to run third party applications like Torque.

If the OP got the adapter and torque, the code would be displayed with an explanation on his mobile phone as soon as the error code triggered.

I talked Yamaha USA into over-night shipping a diagnostic tool to my local dealer. They said they will start sending out the tools to the rest of the dealers next week. Hopefully I can get this resolved tomorrow or Thursday.

Bellerophon, did your dealer clear your code? I wonder how they did it??

I talked Yamaha USA into over-night shipping a diagnostic tool to my local dealer. They said they will start sending out the tools to the rest of the dealers next week. Hopefully I can get this resolved tomorrow or Thursday.
Yes, Snake River Yamaha cleared the code, so I assume they had the tool. In fact they told me that it could not be cleared by the owner, and that the only way to clear the code was with a Yamaha proprietary device. I am anxious to hear what error your bike shows. As I said in an earlier post, mine was a kickstand error, and it said 47 times. At that point I had not owned the bike long enough to put the stand down 47 times.

What's interesting is Yamaha is saying the diagnostic plug on the 2016 is a new and unique interface. They claim they haven't shipped the tools yet. Obviously your dealer was able to read and clear the code. They did say the equipment they are going to send my dealer tomorrow is something a tech recently put together?? Maybe your dealer knows something most dealers don't, or they somehow got the tool. I've seen articles on line of people hooking OBD readers to Yamaha outboards. Maybe there's an easy way to interface to a standard OBD reader??

They reiterated that a customer cable would be available soon. The rep thought we'd be able to clear codes. You can clear codes from the dash on a 2015, right? Seems off they'd take that ability away from us.

I don't get this....

Yes, Snake River Yamaha cleared the code, so I assume they had the tool. In fact they told me that it could not be cleared by the owner, and that the only way to clear the code was with a Yamaha proprietary device.
Sounds like the price of maintaining a FJR is going up!

...The rep thought we'd be able to clear codes. You can clear codes from the dash on a 2015, right? Seems off they'd take that ability away from us.
I don't get this....
Give and get. We lose the convenience of the diAG display but get a whole lot more with the OBD-II. The diAG offers some basic sensor information and some actuator capability but it's pretty limited. The OBD-II port will allow real-time driving data acquisition and data plotting which is a powerful tool. There are straight code readers which can also reset some basic fault codes and then there are reader/programmers which will let the user change some parameters that aren't protected. Unfortunately, Yamaha makes it clear up front that the spark timing is protected.

Outside of some online asylums Forums there probably weren't many FJR owners which used or even knew about the diAG function. Can any '16 owners confirm that they can't access diAG? Even though it isn't advertised, perhaps it is still available.

OBD-II diagnostics is a standardized data link connector and a set of standard SAE J/1979 defined Parameter IDs (PIDs). Vehicle manufacturers can have custom PIDs for their own vehicles and manufacturers don't have to support all parameter modes. There are 10 categories for codes:

$01. Show current data

$02. Show freeze frame data

$03. Show stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes

$04. Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes and stored values

$05. Test results, oxygen sensor monitoring (non CAN only)

$06. Test results, other component/system monitoring (Test results, oxygen sensor monitoring for CAN only)

$07. Show pending Diagnostic Trouble Codes (detected during current or last driving cycle)

$08. Control operation of on-board component/system

$09. Request vehicle information

$0A. Permanent DTC's (Cleared DTC's)

The $ is a software thingie that indicates the values are hexadecimal base, under each base code can be a long list of engine/vehicle function readings.

Yamaha has to play nice with some of the above code categories, though Yamaha may have other custom codes which a standard code reader couldn't handle.

Someone asked, and I did not see it answered: Yes, the 2013 - 2015 3rd Gens you can enter into ECU diagnostic mode same as prior generations, by pressing the two buttons and hold for 8 seconds while turning the key switch on.

If you have an ES you will have an option to go into the ECU or the SCU (Suspension Control Unit).

When you select the ECU you have the option to enter "DIAG" or "CO" setting (with no need for a barbarian jumper)

Here's some of the info about the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool for the 2013 - 2015 model years. It appears to just be a serial port connection along with some software for the PC being used. I do not think this tool will work on 2016's with the OBD ports though.

3rd%20Gen%20ECU%20Diagnositic%20Tool%20Info.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...The rep thought we'd be able to clear codes. You can clear codes from the dash on a 2015, right? Seems off they'd take that ability away from us.
I don't get this....
Can any '16 owners confirm that they can't access diAG? Even though it isn't advertised, perhaps it is still available.
I tried several times and could not get into diag mode. Push and hold the 2 buttons, turn the key on and keep holding. Nothing......

This is also not in the 2016 shop manual. Was it in the past shop manuals?

Yes, the diAG procedure and table of codes was in the Gen I and Gen II and the '13-'15 FSMs.

Thanks for confirming that diAG isn't available in the '16. As far as we know right now.

I had previously posted some information about the very expensive Yamaha Diagnostic Tool which is a cable, a CD and manual needed for the '13 - '15 ECU. The user has to supply their own computer.

Last edited by a moderator: