2016 ES check engine light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... Disconnecting the PAIR never caused any faults on prior Gens. I wonder if it would turn the CEL on by itself, or if they just noticed the fault when looking at the codes from the kickstand fault
I think I'll just leave it all connected until the YES runs out. It doesn't cause any real problems other than a little added work during valve checks.
Hey, shit like this comes as part of the OBD II system. In one of the categories under Emissions Control systems, these are some of the codes that can be popped and stored due to the Air Injection System:

DTC Codes - P0400-P0499 - Auxiliary Emissions Controls

P0412 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Malfunction

P0413 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Open

P0414 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Shorted

P0415 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve B Circuit Malfunction

P0416 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve B Circuit Open

P0417 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve B Circuit Shorted

P0418 Secondary Air Injection System Relay "A" Circuit Malfunction

P0419 Secondary Air Injection System Relay "B" Circuit Malfunction

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... Disconnecting the PAIR never caused any faults on prior Gens. I wonder if it would turn the CEL on by itself, or if they just noticed the fault when looking at the codes from the kickstand fault
I think I'll just leave it all connected until the YES runs out. It doesn't cause any real problems other than a little added work during valve checks.
Hey, shit like this comes as part of the OBD II system. In one of the categories under Emissions Control systems, these are some of the codes that can be popped and stored due to the Air Injection System:

DTC Codes - P0400-P0499 - Auxiliary Emissions Controls

P0412 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Malfunction

P0413 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Open

P0414 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Shorted

P0415 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve B Circuit Malfunction

P0416 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve B Circuit Open

P0417 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve B Circuit Shorted

P0418 Secondary Air Injection System Relay "A" Circuit Malfunction

P0419 Secondary Air Injection System Relay "B" Circuit Malfunction
I just checked in the FSM. On a 3rd Gen 2013 - 2015 it will not have a CEL or error code when the Secondary Air System is FUBAR (or deleted).

IN - before the OBD!!
punk.gif

I have a cable on the way from DynoJet to interface between the Yamaha proprietary plug and OBDII. I also have a BlueTooth OBDII scanner on hand which I connect to via my laptop. Hopefully I'll be able to scan and clear any future codes.

Last month I had my check engine light come on again. It was caused by not quite having the key in the on position. The engine turned over but wouldn't start. As others have discovered this results in a check engine light and a "stall warning" (or something like that) code being stored. I visited Snake River Yamaha near Boise and they were able to clear the code after and hour of struggling. They finally called Yamaha to get the error deleted. They had entered the VIN of my bike but the software won't allow codes to be cleared unless they also enter the date and mileage. Of course the software doesn't tell you why the delete button won't work, it just doesn't work. The techs blamed it on the fact they hadn't been "trained" yet. I blame Yamaha for crap software.

Anyway, they finally got it cleared. Thanks to Snake River Yamaha for taking me in on short notice to take care of me.

Just a thought about the Yamaha service tool we are discussing in the other thread..... The process of entering VIN, date and mileage may be a requirement of populating the central service history database. This is kinda normal in the car world..... might be new to Yamaha dealers (where was the training bulletin?)...... but just leads me to believe we can't use one of the Yamaha Diagnostic Tools ourselves..... maybe one day.

Just a thought about the Yamaha service tool we are discussing in the other thread..... The process of entering VIN, date and mileage may be a requirement of populating the central service history database. This is kinda normal in the car world..... might be new to Yamaha dealers (where was the training bulletin?)...... but just leads me to believe we can't use one of the Yamaha Diagnostic Tools ourselves..... maybe one day.
I'm sure they want to uploaded the data to the Yamaha mother ship. The software should be smart enough so a tech doesn't need to be sent to training to learn how to do simple things like enter the required data!?

From my conversations with Yamaha of America there will be a new tool provided to the dealers for the new OBDII compliant system coming out on some models. They told me I could get a cable from them through my local dealer. So far none of the dealers I've spoken with have seen one or been able to order one. It can't be that complicated to make. Obviously DynoJet has figured it out and I bought one for $45. I'm hoping Yamaha will allow the resetting of codes from a standard OBDII tool. If so I'm planning to leave the cable and BlueTooth OBDII scanner in place under the seat of my 2016. I always travel with a laptop and can hopefully reset my own codes.

One of the tech at Snake River Yamaha said Yamaha doesn't want people to be able to adjust mixture settings etc, but that they would/should allow the end user to clear codes. We shall see.....

How does the Yamaha software tool plug into the bike and not know that date and mileage? That's extremely poor design if that's the case.

How does the Yamaha software tool plug into the bike and not know that date and mileage? That's extremely poor design if that's the case.
Poor software design. Same reason the program doesn't tell you what it needs to fully function.

Eh, yes and no. Do you want the software to be 100% dependent on having an internet connection?

Eh, yes and no. Do you want the software to be 100% dependent on having an internet connection?
The PC running the app knows the date. At a minimum they could plop that date into the date field and let you change it if it's wrong. The mileage can be retrieved via the OBDII connection to the vehicle.

I'm not sure the program uses and Internet connection if available. It did has a "save" option. Perhaps the dealers are require to send in their data somehow??

^^^^Right. No Internet connection needed for a device to read the mileage from a vehicle. Hell, when I get gas, our system knows the mileage in my unit. Transmitting that to anyone may be a different deal, but pulling it off the vehicle should be child's play. THEN, if Yamaha can't figure out how to design a device that can keep the date and time, even when turned off, they probably need a lesson from the billions of other manufacturers that can.

Worked like a charm! I was able to connect. Started the bike and was able to monitor system status. Scanned for errors and there were none. Took a leap of faith and turn the key part way on and attempted to start the bike. This turned on the CEL. I then re-connected and found a P1601 error code. Hit the clear errors function and erased the code which turned the CEL back off.

I've added pictures of the process to my site and will annotate them later tonight.

https://koczarski.com...interface-cable

That's flippin great news. So much for needing Yamaha's expensive tool for at least some fault diagnosis. I wonder what can be seen and what can't.