2016 ES check engine light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the diAG procedure and table of codes was in the Gen I and Gen II and the '13-'15 FSMs.
Thanks for confirming that diAG isn't available in the '16. As far as we know right now.

I had previously posted some information about the very expensive Yamaha Diagnostic Tool which is a cable, a CD and manual needed for the '13 - '15 ECU. The user has to supply their own computer.
Right, that is how it's done on the '13-'15. I was on the phone with my local dealer telling him Yamaha was sending him the tool and could I swing by today to scan the bike. He said "I have to hook it up to my laptop and get it going first". I called Yamaha back and they said it's a stand alone tool for the 2016 which doesn't need a PC.

This is why I'm a bit confused. I don't know who to believe. The fact that Snake River could read and clear the codes at all also adds to the confusion.

I called another Seattle area dealer and asked if they could read my '16. They said "sure" we do it all the time. All the time?? These bikes just came out?? I <think> this guy is assuming the 2016 is the same as the '13 - '15.

Someone asked, and I did not see it answered: Yes, the 2013 - 2015 3rd Gens you can enter into ECU diagnostic mode same as prior generations, by pressing the two buttons and hold for 8 seconds while turning the key switch on.
If you have an ES you will have an option to go into the ECU or the SCU (Suspension Control Unit). ...
And if you have the Euro AS (USA AE) variant you get an option of MCU for YCC-S diagnostics.
(Click on image for larger view)

Talked about here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bellerophon, any chance you can ask your dealer what they used to read and clear your error codes? Would be interesting to hear what they say given the fact Yamaha claims nobody has the device yet.

Bellerophon, any chance you can ask your dealer what they used to read and clear your error codes? Would be interesting to hear what they say given the fact Yamaha claims nobody has the device yet.
Yes, I'll be happy to.

Also I can confirm that DIAG is no longer available. The service writer at Snake River Yamaha tried to put it in DIAG when I brought it in the first time, he then confirmed that they would need the tool to clear it. At that point he told me not to worry about the light and that they would clear it at the first service, and of course that is what they did.

I found a different dealer in North Seattle to take the bike to. It turns out the same equipment which reads the '13 -'15 can still be used on the '16. I had the same issue as Bellerophon, a side stand error. This dealer said they had the same issue on another 2016 Yamaha model, not an FJR. Looks like there's a bug in the firmware, or the sensors are faulty.

Here's the email I sent to the shop at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville, WA. They are the dealer Yamaha was supposed to send a "tool" to to check my bike. It still hasn't shown up??

------------

Jeremy,

Lynwood Motorplex thought they could clear the code so I took them up on the offer to try it this afternoon. The same hardware and software used on the ’13 – ’15 FJR still works on the ’16 even though they have removed the dash method available on the ’13 – ‘15. They found the same side stand error om my bike that my friend in Idaho had on his 2016. I’ll bet the other 2016 that came into your shop will have the same issue. Lynwood said they found a similar issue on a different 2016 Yamaha model in addition to my FJR. Can’t remember what he said the bike was. Sounds like Yamaha has a software glitch on some bad sensors.

I <think> these new 2016 models are also OBD compliant and that Yamaha has a new device for the 2016’s bikes with OBD capabilities. Additionally they will be distributing a ‘leadwire’ to enable customers to read codes with standard OBD scanners. The rumor is customers will be able to read, but not clear codes. Perhaps the device you will receive next week will be able to do this.

The device Yamaha USA said they would send you yesterday was something a tech put together. It could be that he wired up a ‘leadwire’ himself to an OBD scanner. I’ve done a little research on OBD systems and it looks to be quite simple. Ground, +12 volts and a data lead. If I knew the pinout of the FJR’s plug I could probably make my own as the pinout for the OBD scanners is well documented.

I’m good for now. You should be able to clear the other customer’s error with the equipment you already have, or with the what Yamaha sends you.

I’m just happy I didn’t have a serious error and that I can put some more miles on the bike this weekend.

Thanks,

Adam

I found a different dealer in North Seattle to take the bike to. It turns out the same equipment which reads the '13 -'15 can still be used on the '16. I had the same issue as Bellerophon, a side stand error. This dealer said they had the same issue on another 2016 Yamaha model, not an FJR. Looks like there's a bug in the firmware, or the sensors are faulty.
I'm glad you got it resolved Adam.

Does that mean you're part of the cruiser crowd or just a Canadian?
smile.png
If he takes the fifth - he's a cruiser. If he drinks the fifth - I think he's probably Canadian
Now that is just funny right there!!

Dan

Here's the email I sent to the shop at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville, WA. They are the dealer Yamaha was supposed to send a "tool" to to check my bike. It still hasn't shown up??

------------

Jeremy,

Lynwood Motorplex thought they could clear the code so I took them up on the offer to try it this afternoon. The same hardware and software used on the ’13 – ’15 FJR still works on the ’16 even though they have removed the dash method available on the ’13 – ‘15. They found the same side stand error om my bike that my friend in Idaho had on his 2016. I’ll bet the other 2016 that came into your shop will have the same issue. Lynwood said they found a similar issue on a different 2016 Yamaha model in addition to my FJR. Can’t remember what he said the bike was. Sounds like Yamaha has a software glitch on some bad sensors.

I these new 2016 models are also OBD compliant and that Yamaha has a new device for the 2016’s bikes with OBD capabilities. Additionally they will be distributing a ‘leadwire’ to enable customers to read codes with standard OBD scanners. The rumor is customers will be able to read, but not clear codes. Perhaps the device you will receive next week will be able to do this.

The device Yamaha USA said they would send you yesterday was something a tech put together. It could be that he wired up a ‘leadwire’ himself to an OBD scanner. I’ve done a little research on OBD systems and it looks to be quite simple. Ground, +12 volts and a data lead. If I knew the pinout of the FJR’s plug I could probably make my own as the pinout for the OBD scanners is well documented.

I’m good for now. You should be able to clear the other customer’s error with the equipment you already have, or with the what Yamaha sends you.

I’m just happy I didn’t have a serious error and that I can put some more miles on the bike this weekend.

Thanks,

Adam

I don't have a field service manual yet for my 16 but the pin out for the connector should be in there.

Can someone have a look and post it

Chris

Riding my new to me 16A back from a fly and ride. Stopped for fuel and when I went to start the bike it turned over but wouldn't start. Second try started up and check engine light came on. Stopped at a dealer in Winston Salem and they didn't have correct diagnostic tool. I used kick stand to shut bike down. Bike is running good so I'm not gonna worry.

There have been a handful of reports of that 'check engine' light... if such were mine, I'd 'check engine' for obvious issues (oil, coolant, overheating, ...), and would ride on.

Seems Yamaha will need to do some code fixin'.

It would be interesting to see the last few digits of each bike's VIN of each of the bikes exhibiting this incessant 'check engine' light.
smile.png

Riding my new to me 16A back from a fly and ride. Stopped for fuel and when I went to start the bike it turned over but wouldn't start. Second try started up and check engine light came on. Stopped at a dealer in Winston Salem and they didn't have correct diagnostic tool. I used kick stand to shut bike down. Bike is running good so I'm not gonna worry.
It's not clear from your post, did the warning light remain on, or did it go off after a few seconds from starting? If it did go off after a few seconds, this is the correct behaviour.

Your description is exactly what happened to me. The only difference is that I don't think I shut the bike off with the kickstand. I may have inadvertently, but I don't remember doing it.. The other mystery is that Snake River Yamaha said the the reader said it had happened 47 times. At the time I only had about 40 miles on the bike, so 47 times did not make sense. In any case they cleared the code at the first service, and it has not happened since.

When mine came on I was farkling the bike in the garage. For the most part it was sitting on the center stand. Might have had the side stand down when it went up on the center stand. I flipped it up at some point to drop it down off the center stand. I also fired the bike up a few times while testing the audio system. I suited up to go for a test ride when I noticed the light was on.

It stayed on until cleared by Lynwood Motoplex. Nice service department up there! They squeezed me in to take care of the issue. Nice people there too! Wish they were a little closer to my house.

Something more to add to this is it is possible to spin the motor when the key is not fully centered in the ignition it will not start and it will create a rich condition/ flooding. This happened to me on my 14 and now on my 16 when it happened on my 16 I knew what was going on right away and stopped and centered the key and it fired right off. The only issue was now I had a check engine light that would not go away and had to take to dealer to reset. Total bs if you ask me since I like most of you work on my own bikes 2006, 2014 and now 2016. I love the bike but it seems Yamaha is trying to hold us hostage and I bought Yamaha as they never did this in the past...

The Check Engine Light came on a while back in my 2016 ES model. Based on what I had read here, I finally took it to the dealer -- MotoCity in Anthem, AZ, who are great folks! -- for a reset. "Hmmm...have you been under the tank?" they asked. Their codes showed the common kickstand error but also a disconnected plug. Darn it, they caught me! Like my other three previous FJRs I had removed the PAIR system. Drove the bike home, replaced the PAIR apparatus -- didn't hook it up, all holes are still capped, just laid it under the foil because I was in a hurry -- and replugged the connector last night. Today they had no trouble completing the reset of the CEL. Yay! I have my Cruise Control and ES settings back!

Don't know if this is universally true, but you may wish to keep the plug connected even if/when you throw away the rest of the PAIR junk.

Hmmm... Disconnecting the PAIR never caused any faults on prior Gens. I wonder if it would turn the CEL on by itself, or if they just noticed the fault when looking at the codes from the kickstand fault

I think I'll just leave it all connected until the YES runs out. It doesn't cause any real problems other than a little added work during valve checks.