2016 ES check engine light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's flippin great news. So much for needing Yamaha's expensive tool for at least some fault diagnosis. I wonder what can be seen and what can't.
When I first scanned for errors, none were listed, new or old. I believe the equipment at the Yamaha shop I visited was able to see a list of past errors along with the current ones. I saw none. This gave me pause about forcing a CEL error to see if I could clear it. I wasn't sure I'd be able too. Fortunately I was able to see and clear the error I produced.

I don't see why not. With a Bluetooth OBD adapter, you could monitor vital information with Torque on your phone while riding.

Also, I'm assuming this means it will work with the Torque Android app?
The OBDII connector on the bike is always powered on, even when the bike is off. I don't think I'll be able to leave it connected all of the time. Would probably drain the battery over time.

So, assume it is a function of the software / app that you are using to display the OBD2 data as to what history or data plotting you can do via the link now that you have the connection?

So, assume it is a function of the software / app that you are using to display the OBD2 data as to what history or data plotting you can do via the link now that you have the connection?
I haven't played with OBD scanners enough to know if vehicles store code info indefinitely, for a period of time, or at all after they are cleared?? I <thought> Snake River Yamaha saw some previously cleared code info when they worked on my bike, but I'm not sure on that. I haven't even read the documentation for the program from OBDLink that came with my scanner. I'll do some more research as time permits.....

I haven't played with OBD scanners enough to know if vehicles store code info indefinitely, for a period of time, or at all after they are cleared?? I <thought> Snake River Yamaha saw some previously cleared code info when they worked on my bike, but I'm not sure on that. I haven't even read the documentation for the program from OBDLink that came with my scanner. I'll do some more research as time permits.....
That might be information that the mothership wants transferred back to them after the handshake between the Yamaha scan tool and the server it connects with.

VIN, mileage, CEL history....what else would they be interested in?

That might be information that the mothership wants transferred back to them after the handshake between the Yamaha scan tool and the server it connects with.

VIN, mileage, CEL history....what else would they be interested in?
For sure. I just don't know if what I saw was something that came out of my bike, data that had been previously uploaded to the mother ship when my bike was in the shop in Seattle and then downloaded by the software at Snake River, etc.

The OBDwiz software which came with my ODBLink scanner has the capability to save out data files. I suppose it would be a good idea to save a file when I access the bike's computer and clear codes.

I was just reading the documentation and found this unit has a fully automatic sleep and wake-up function. It flashes an LED every 3 seconds when it's sleeping and draws only 60 mA. Maybe I can leave it plugged in and under the seat.

This is the error I get if I don’t turn the key to full on and then try and start the bike. It will turn over, but will not start. The result is a CEL and GC below. This might be why so many people with a CEL issue are reporting the dealer is telling them it’s a side stand issue??

P1601-error.jpg

I've added a short video to my website which shows the OBDwiz software, which come with the OBDLink device, in action.

Is the code list in the service manual??

Wouldn't mind having the cable on hand, I have a couple Otc genysis evo scanners I can use.

Seems quicker and easier than a dealer visit.

Picking up a 16es in the next few days I think

Is the code list in the service manual?? Wouldn't mind having the cable on hand, I have a couple Otc genysis evo scanners I can use. Seems quicker and easier than a dealer visit. Picking up a 16es in the next few days I think
Yes, the codes are listed in the service manual. And yes, much easier to use your own scanner to see if the issue is something important or just something stupid like trying to start the bike without the key in the full ON position.

I brought her in yesterday and had the ECU flashed. It was the code related to the ignition switch. Back to normal. Cudos to Maximum Motorsports in Riverhead. They were excellent.