Alaska 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
33692677_10213273761693243_3561549472125157376_n.jpg

33777403_10213267781343738_9026154053519802368_n.jpg

33764394_10213267793024030_613139352104468480_o.jpg

Thanks for posting. I really would like to spend time in Alaska after I retire, but until then it will be get it and go rides.

Planing my 5th trip up there now. Only 3 by cycle. (So far)

The May rides are cold but have their bonus of less bugs and beautiful mountain shots.

Enjoying their adventure,.. Keep on posting!

The adventure continues. Dawson City to Fairbanks via the Top of the World Hwy. Lost one battery on the ferry crossing, a flat tire, and an axle nut (that was torqued before we left). Going to the YamAha dealer tomorrow AM then going to Artic Circle.

Also have unusual wear on two to the three trailer tires.

The views on the Top of the World Hwy was incredible.

That sky picture above is great. The only improvement I can imagine is to photo shop flying pies in the sky. Pop's would be in heaven!

Made it to the Artic Circle. Who knew it would take 5 hours to travel 180 miles. Three flat tires and 5 sticky strings later...a water truck wetting the road, leaving a slimy snot that was barely rideable. Lost the front three times but somehow kept the bike upright.

With all that said, One of my top three all time rides!

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="escapefjrtist" data-cid="1397599" data-time="1527648414"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AuburnFJR" data-cid="1397509" data-time="1527572112"><p><snip> Also have unusual wear on two to the three trailer tires.</p></blockquote>

<br />

How are the BReamer's doing on bike tire wear? Any impressions on dirt traction vs. what y'all are running?<br />

<br />

~G</p></blockquote>

Tire wear is not great my PR2 is doing better. For the Dalton Hwy though I think he had a more rideable combination. Though he is one of the three flats. It took 2 strings to fix his.

Hey all, we are having a blast. We have been cranking the miles and the hours but will be slowing down for the next several days. We will mosey to Denali NP for a couple of days, then to Kenai Peninsula for a couple more.

I put on a Pirelli 90/10 tire this trip. It is the first time I have used anything other than a PR2 in a decade I think. It feels fine, it rides confidently, and MAYBE it's better in the dirt and slop. I chose it though to get better life, I am not friendly to tires when it comes to wear. Two things: it is wearing much faster than my tires have in the past. Second, it is wearing faster than the other two up riders w trailers. Honestly, I am being meaner to my tires than they are, but not that much meaner. I am 2800ish miles and I am on the wear bars in the center. Not dead yet, but soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like - They must have found a place to wash the bikes!! Much cleaner than at the Arctic circle sign!!

How have daytime (and nighttime) temperatures been??

I assume it is too early for problems with mosquitos or black flies?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RossKean" data-cid="1397681" data-time="1527734379"><p>

Like - They must have found a place to wash the bikes!! Much cleaner than at the Arctic circle sign!!<br />

<br />

How have daytime (and nighttime) temperatures been??<br />

I assume it is too early for problems with mosquitos or black flies?</p></blockquote>

Yes car wash this morning to get all the calcium laced dirt out. Probably washed 30 lbs of mud off the bike.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RossKean" data-cid="1397681" data-time="1527734379"><p>

Like - They must have found a place to wash the bikes!! Much cleaner than at the Arctic circle sign!!<br />

<br />

How have daytime (and nighttime) temperatures been??<br />

I assume it is too early for problems with mosquitos or black flies?</p></blockquote>

Yes car wash this morning to get all the calcium laced dirt out. Probably washed 30 lbs of mud off the bike.