Anyone using the GenII/GenIII seat from Seat concepts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for positioning - does it seem to lock you into place towards the back? Personally I think I sit somewhat closer to the tank just because I'm not very tall.
rszk, how would you comment on MadMax1996's question?

I notice that I (having very similar height, inseam and weight as you had stated.) tend to sit closer to the tank rather than towards the back.

Just an FYI, SC offers a heavier foam for those over 240lbs. I weigh 215 and took this option when I bought the SC for my DL1000 and it was perfect for me. Unfortunately, I forgot that fact when I recently ordered the foam for my gen 1. I could see how the standard foam would be fine for those lighter, but If you're much over 200 and like a firmer seat, talk to them about the harder foam.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for positioning - does it seem to lock you into place towards the back? Personally I think I sit somewhat closer to the tank just because I'm not very tall.
rszk, how would you comment on MadMax1996's question?

I notice that I (having very similar height, inseam and weight as you had stated.) tend to sit closer to the tank rather than towards the back.
I did actually mention in in post #31

here it is again...

"

Just got back from a 2 hour solo no stopping to get off ride.

Here are more impressions of this seat.

The foam has just enough softness and firmness for this extended ride. I am able to adjust forward and rear. The seat does not lock you in one position. Mostly I was just looking around and enjoying the fall weather, listening to the engine and gear whine, not paying attention to my ass as I wasn't getting a hint of uncomfortable butt syndrome. I won't be able to do the multi-hour rides as we are so close to winter now. Usually after 2 hours on the OEM seat, I'm wishing for a rest butt stop. I think it will be a winner!"

Here are a couple pics of the finished product of having the Seat Concepts seat kit installed on an extra set of pans for my FJR. A local shop did the installation of the covers.

Haven't had a chance to get out for a ride yet due to weather, work & other obligations
sad.png

Hoping to get out this weekend.

EDIT: Got out for a whole 10 miles or so on Sunday, so no real ride report but the seating position feels good, better foot placement on the ground-possibly due to being narrower as I do not notice much increase in the bend at the knees. Gripper top works well with jeans-no moving unless you lift up. Should be nice with textile riding pants.

Hey all,

I ordered a Seat Concepts yesterday before reading this thread closely. I will be calling tomorrow to see if they can up my foam the the more robust of us (me).

Also, What stapler and staples have you used? Just a T50 manual? I'm not beyond adding a pneumatic stapler to my air collection, either.

Bappo

Kinda what I was thinking, thanks. Lowes has a T50 gun for cheap as does Harbor Freight.
Might be able to rent an air stapler for cheap for a day from Home Depot if you already have a compressor.

Just noticed they offer an "all carbon fiber" option for the cover opposed to the gripper top/carbon sides. A grippy surface doesn't matter to me, just wondering which one might not show signs of wear in years to come..

Kinda what I was thinking, thanks. Lowes has a T50 gun for cheap as does Harbor Freight.
Might be able to rent an air stapler for cheap for a day from Home Depot if you already have a compressor.

Just noticed they offer an "all carbon fiber" option for the cover opposed to the gripper top/carbon sides. A grippy surface doesn't matter to me, just wondering which one might not show signs of wear in years to come..
Before you decide on what seating surface to get, what type of gear do you wear-jeans, textile or leather as a "carbon fiber" surface may be more slippery than you want?

(Years ago I tried some textile riding pants on at a BMW dealer and sat on a bike with a carbon fiber type seat cover and got on one side and almost slid right off the other side-no joke.)

The only negative I see with the gripper top may be for cleaning it-any suggestions other than rinsing it with a hose?

I've had 4 seatconcepts seats. The amount of power that the FJR has will make you slide to the back when you accelerate hard with the carbon fiber. It wears extremely well however. I had one on my KLR for 3 years and it showed little to no wear with the carbon fiber.

I agree that the gripper is harder to clean, need to have a terry towel to take the gunk off.

Another thumbs up for Seat Concepts quality and customer service. I had one on my DRZ400 and now have one on my Beta 520RS. Both we're covered with their gripper material which works well for staying planted when needed, but still allows you to move around on the bike. The only caution I'd offer is if ordering for a dirt bike, keep the stock height unless you've got a monster inseam. Mine is 36 and figured I could use their tall (1" taller than stock) which at times had me on tip toes in certain off camber situations. My Beta has a stock height SC seat and it's working out great.

I've had 4 seatconcepts seats. The amount of power that the FJR has will make you slide to the back when you accelerate hard with the carbon fiber. It wears extremely well however. I had one on my KLR for 3 years and it showed little to no wear with the carbon fiber.
I agree that the gripper is harder to clean, need to have a terry towel to take the gunk off.
Thanks for the info. Compared to my previous bike, the stock seat on the FJR is pretty grippy to me.. but I can move around ok. As long as their surface is about the same I'd be fine with it. It sounds like the CF option might be almost too slippery.

I'm hoping that people enquiring with Seatconcepts will also enquire about a foam replacement for the passenger seat as well. Would be nice option for those that need it too.
I asked them about that option just yesterday...they said that there really isn't room with the passenger grab handle to widen out the passenger seat, like they did the rider seat.

I'm hoping that people enquiring with Seatconcepts will also enquire about a foam replacement for the passenger seat as well. Would be nice option for those that need it too.
I asked them about that option just yesterday...they said that there really isn't room with the passenger grab handle to widen out the passenger seat, like they did the rider seat.
Is it necessary to make it more wide? At least to get a better quality foam would be welcome for the passenger.

So Russell and Lamm can do it, but they can't?

Is it necessary to make it more wide? At least to get a better quality foam would be welcome for the passenger.
Eh.....probably not....but a little symmetry is nice...have the general shape of the rear seat, match the shape of the front.....as another said however, even an upgrade on the foam padding would be nice.

My daughter is 5'10" 130......not a big girl...and she bitches about the rear seat after about 100 miles......of course, her tushy got used to riding a Goldwing too.......
pinch.gif

My wife is NOT impressed with the rear seat, and she's only 115lbs. I need to get it upgraded to make her happier. The tspr8ng trip to Utah did her in.

DustOff posted: Any updates with those who converted their seat? Thinking about pulling the trigger.
Why yes! There are two located ON THIS VERY PAGE, and an entire thread elsewhere on the Forum. I've posted a couple of comments about mine, too.

Read first; ask questions later. I see you're from Texas, but seriously, bro, use some initiative.

Latest posts