Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again for this outstanding post!
I have one question: when you attached the bead chain eyelet connector to the throttle pulley tang, did you tighten the two nuts enough to keep the connector in a fixed position, or did you leave a gap so that the connector can pivot freely and just rely on lock tight compound to keep the outer-most nut in place?

I ask because in the photo of that assembly it looks loose, but I realize that you probably took the photo before you actually buttoned everything up.

Forgive me if the answer is obvious. I'm just a newbie.

That is a good question and I'm glad you brought it to my attention to clarify. I actually used a total of 3 nuts on the throttle pulley tang bolt. Nut #1 is to secure bolt onto tang after drilling, nuts #2 and #3 was locked together by tightening to each other after installing eyelet connector onto the bolt. Lock tight compound was only used on threaded portions where the nuts are and NOTon eyelet connector. I left a small gap in order for the eyelet to pivot freely, this is important because it has to change angles as the pulley rotates to prevent bead chain or cable from binding.

You are correct, the picture was taken before nut #3 was installed and before final assembly.

I should have said "Attach cable to throttle pulley bolt by using 2 ADDITIONAL nuts with lock tight compound" on the write-up instead.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions.

Gordon

Nice writeup and install.

One comment: It is NOT a good idea to tee a vaccuum source into the MAP signal line. I would never recommend nor condone that. It might not cause any problems on the surface but it is best to not take the chance. The plumbing of an additional vacuum "volume" into the line going to the MAP sensor can cause signal oscillations and signal errors in many speed density fuel injection systems. This situation with the MAP signal has been tested and developed (hopefully.....) by the factory that developed the fuel injection systems and is best left alone. One specific area of development that any speed density system goes thru is testing of the fidelity of the MAP signal and hose lengths and hose volumes have a VERY definite effect on it and are frequently "tuned" by the factory for optimum MAP signal fidelity.

If you look at OEM fuel injection systems it would be very very rare to find any accessory or vacuum feed plumbed in parrallel with the MAP signal for just such a reason.

It is a better idea to run a separate vacuum supply system for the cruise using the 4 vacuum taps provided for throttle body sync'ing.

You may never notice a problem in normal riding with the extra vacuum volume in the MAP signal line....but then again....it could cause a lean hole in the fuel injection calibration just at a certain WOT point that will be nasty to find one day.....why take the chance.

And one additional idea: The bead chain connector can also be secured when finished with a drop of RTV that will keep the connector from disconnecting. I found that the bead chain wanted to lie a certain way to make sure that no binding/kinking/snagging occurred when the cruise was NOT being used and the throttle was held at WOT....this condition generates the most chain slack and is often a problem with bead chain routing. After determining the best way for the bead chain to route/hang when slack I laced a very thin bead of RTV down the bead chain and let it set up for 24 hours before moving the chain. The RTV adds just enough resilience to the bead chain to "form" it into the desired routing yet it is flexible enough to not affect the operation of the cc.

One comment: It is NOT a good idea to tee a vaccuum source into the MAP signal line. I would never recommend nor condone that. It might not cause any problems on the surface but it is best to not take the chance. The plumbing of an additional vacuum "volume" into the line going to the MAP sensor can cause signal oscillations and signal errors in many speed density fuel injection systems. This situation with the MAP signal has been tested and developed (hopefully.....) by the factory that developed the fuel injection systems and is best left alone. One specific area of development that any speed density system goes thru is testing of the fidelity of the MAP signal and hose lengths and hose volumes have a VERY definite effect on it and are frequently "tuned" by the factory for optimum MAP signal fidelity.

If you look at OEM fuel injection systems it would be very very rare to find any accessory or vacuum feed plumbed in parrallel with the MAP signal for just such a reason.

It is a better idea to run a separate vacuum supply system for the cruise using the 4 vacuum taps provided for throttle body sync'ing.

You may never notice a problem in normal riding with the extra vacuum volume in the MAP signal line....but then again....it could cause a lean hole in the fuel injection calibration just at a certain WOT point that will be nasty to find one day.....why take the chance.

And one additional idea: The bead chain connector can also be secured when finished with a drop of RTV that will keep the connector from disconnecting. I found that the bead chain wanted to lie a certain way to make sure that no binding/kinking/snagging occurred when the cruise was NOT being used and the throttle was held at WOT....this condition generates the most chain slack and is often a problem with bead chain routing. After determining the best way for the bead chain to route/hang when slack I laced a very thin bead of RTV down the bead chain and let it set up for 24 hours before moving the chain. The RTV adds just enough resilience to the bead chain to "form" it into the desired routing yet it is flexible enough to not affect the operation of the cc.

Jestal,

Thank you for the input and suggestions. I too, was concerned about the 1 ½” X 6” pipe, and the extra intake volume that would be behind the throttle plate when I was thinking about this particular section of my cruise install. I’m also aware that the standard practice is to use one or two of the service ports for throttle body synchronization to provide the vacuum for the cruise.

As you may know, any extra volume in the intake track of any cylinder would increase total volume by the same amount, this will not change if it was hooked up to one or all four. The factory MAP sensor is attached to all four thru T fittings and hoses to get an average manifold pressure reading……and to have the intake pulses closer for a more smooth and stable voltage output for the control unit to calculate fuel and ignition management. Tapping into the sync port of one cylinder would not change total volume but could disrupt the intake pulses and could translate into an unstable output of the MAP sensor because it would look like a vacuum leak in one of the cylinders during vacuum demand for cruise servo operation. I think if there were any chance of “signal oscillation”, it would be under this arrangement and not when its averaged out by all cylinders.

Additionally, I did a before and after comparison with a vacuum gauge to verify there was no difference at all with/without the entire cruise in the system, including canister, and during canister filling after engine startup……there were no noticeable difference with vacuum and vacuum buildup time either way due to the small additional volume required by canister and servo unit. Also note the placement of the check valve will limit the volume to only the small hose between engine and check valve once the canister pressure is equalized or lower than manifold pressure because the valve will retain usable vacuum until it is needed……and……..the amount of vacuum required during cruise operation in setting and maintaining speed is at a level that will not affect MAP output in my opinion.

Respectfully, I disagree that hooking into the service port of one is a better method. The small amounts of air moved is better shared by all 4 cylinders, not only for a smoother vacuum supply for the cruise unit, but less chance of an erratic MAP signal output.

You wrote “If you look at OEM fuel injection systems it would be very very rare to find any accessory or vacuum feed plumbed in parallel with the MAP signal for just such a reason.”

I don’t know what you mean by this. The MAP sensors are always reading manifold vacuum and just about everything related to vacuum (cruise control, pcv system, fuel evap emission control, interior climate control……the list goes on) is in parallel with this sensor. When there’s a vacuum leak, depending on the size, vacuum will be reduced to everything………including MAP sensor.

You wrote “You may never notice a problem in normal riding with the extra vacuum volume in the MAP signal line....but then again....it could cause a lean hole in the fuel injection calibration just at a certain WOT point that will be nasty to find one day.....why take the chance.”

It is a fact that manifold pressure is at its lowest (vacuum highest) during engine deceleration per any given attitude, any other operating condition will yield higher pressures (vacuum lower). With enough load to the engine, you can get close to atmospheric pressure even at a very low engine speeds (closed to idle speed if you try), it is directly related to load and throttle opening angle. My questions: under what condition will the extra volume cause a “lean hole”? And what certain WOT (wide open throttle) point will it cause a problem? Are there more than one WOT condition? As far as I know, WOT……is WOT. My point is, engine manifold vacuum is easily reduced any time the throttle is opened…..and or with load increase…….and reduction of vacuum will result in less affect on any small opening such as the hose to the cruise canister and the canister itself. This is the exact reason why vacuum leaks will affect engine performance more at idle. There will be little air movement (if any) thru small holes at WOT. This should not affect MAP Signal at all since it is already near atmospheric pressure. I think there is little or no risk of performance issues at wide open throttle.

Ps. I keep close track of my fuel mileage, and thus far it has not changed. I don’t think engine management mapping has been affected by the addition of the CC.

I like your RTV idea on the bead chain, any preventive measures in this sensitive area would be good. Good job!

Gordon

Dare I suggest that this write up is good enough to be pinned or go on FJRTech.com?
[*]While I have not announced it publicly yet (until now), Desert Valley Powersports (formally Sunnyside, for those who have been living in a cave the last few months) will be holding TechWest 2007 on May 19th. I am so impress with Gorden's writeup, I intend to add the "FJRCarShopGuy CCS-100 Install" as one of the key seminars of the many that will be held that day!

More TechWest '07 info will be the subject of another thread. But for now, back on topic: we all should give a round of applause to FJRCarShopGuy for this OUTSTANDING writeup!
Congratulations, Gorden!

Jestal,

Thank you for the input and suggestions. I too, was concerned about the 1 ½” X 6” pipe, and the extra intake volume that would be behind the throttle plate when I was thinking about this particular section of my cruise install. I’m also aware that the standard practice is to use one or two of the service ports for throttle body synchronization to provide the vacuum for the cruise.

As you may know, any extra volume in the intake track of any cylinder would increase total volume by the same amount, this will not change if it was hooked up to one or all four. The factory MAP sensor is attached to all four thru T fittings and hoses to get an average manifold pressure reading……and to have the intake pulses closer for a more smooth and stable voltage output for the control unit to calculate fuel and ignition management. Tapping into the sync port of one cylinder would not change total volume but could disrupt the intake pulses and could translate into an unstable output of the MAP sensor because it would look like a vacuum leak in one of the cylinders during vacuum demand for cruise servo operation. I think if there were any chance of “signal oscillation”, it would be under this arrangement and not when its averaged out by all cylinders.

Additionally, I did a before and after comparison with a vacuum gauge to verify there was no difference at all with/without the entire cruise in the system, including canister, and during canister filling after engine startup……there were no noticeable difference with vacuum and vacuum buildup time either way due to the small additional volume required by canister and servo unit. Also note the placement of the check valve will limit the volume to only the small hose between engine and check valve once the canister pressure is equalized or lower than manifold pressure because the valve will retain usable vacuum until it is needed……and……..the amount of vacuum required during cruise operation in setting and maintaining speed is at a level that will not affect MAP output in my opinion.

Respectfully, I disagree that hooking into the service port of one is a better method. The small amounts of air moved is better shared by all 4 cylinders, not only for a smoother vacuum supply for the cruise unit, but less chance of an erratic MAP signal output.

You wrote “If you look at OEM fuel injection systems it would be very very rare to find any accessory or vacuum feed plumbed in parallel with the MAP signal for just such a reason.”

I don’t know what you mean by this. The MAP sensors are always reading manifold vacuum and just about everything related to vacuum (cruise control, pcv system, fuel evap emission control, interior climate control……the list goes on) is in parallel with this sensor. When there’s a vacuum leak, depending on the size, vacuum will be reduced to everything………including MAP sensor.

You wrote “You may never notice a problem in normal riding with the extra vacuum volume in the MAP signal line....but then again....it could cause a lean hole in the fuel injection calibration just at a certain WOT point that will be nasty to find one day.....why take the chance.”

It is a fact that manifold pressure is at its lowest (vacuum highest) during engine deceleration per any given attitude, any other operating condition will yield higher pressures (vacuum lower). With enough load to the engine, you can get close to atmospheric pressure even at a very low engine speeds (closed to idle speed if you try), it is directly related to load and throttle opening angle. My questions: under what condition will the extra volume cause a “lean hole”? And what certain WOT (wide open throttle) point will it cause a problem? Are there more than one WOT condition? As far as I know, WOT……is WOT. My point is, engine manifold vacuum is easily reduced any time the throttle is opened…..and or with load increase…….and reduction of vacuum will result in less affect on any small opening such as the hose to the cruise canister and the canister itself. This is the exact reason why vacuum leaks will affect engine performance more at idle. There will be little air movement (if any) thru small holes at WOT. This should not affect MAP Signal at all since it is already near atmospheric pressure. I think there is little or no risk of performance issues at wide open throttle.

Ps. I keep close track of my fuel mileage, and thus far it has not changed. I don’t think engine management mapping has been affected by the addition of the CC.

I like your RTV idea on the bead chain, any preventive measures in this sensitive area would be good. Good job!

Gordon

You may disagree....but....take it from someone who has developed a number of speed density fuel injection systems that are out driving around in production vehicles you DO NOT want to tap into the MAP sensor signal line.

I really don't mean to argue but I have personally seen sitations where MAP sensors on production systems were relocated, line length, routing and diameter changed, etc.... during development to simply to affect the tuning of the volume in the actual line leading to the MAP sensor to improve fidelity of the MAP signal under transients and steady state conditions. This involves FAR more than simply looking at the signal with a vacuum gauge....LOL. So, it is really not an opinion of mine but a proven FACT that the volume of the hose leading to the MAP sensor is a critical design element of the system and really should not be modified by tapping into that line.

Trying to determine whether the MAP signal accuracy has changed is impossible with a vacuum gauge or by simply measuring fuel economy. Period. You need hundreds of hours on a dyno and in a vehicle with some relatively sophisticated measurement hardware to determine this. YOU have no idea whether you have affected the fidelity of the MAP signal on your system. The kind of glitch that changing the MAP signal resonance will result is impossible to predict. It could be a rich or lean spike on a transient, a steady state hole in the calibration, etc. Completely unknown and unpredictable. That is the basis for my point. Since each install is going to be a bit different and line lengths, diameter and routing unpredictable YOU do not know what is going to be affected on the NEXT PERSON'S install if they use the MAP signal line as a vacuum source. Your's might not be affected and you may not care but it is inadvisable to recommend a vacuum routing that could lead to an unpredictable response on another system.

All speed density systems use the MAP as a fundamental means of calculating the fueling and spark advance for the system. The actual or raw MAP signal is often fraught with noise, overriding transients and fluctuations, etc so "raw" MAP is rarely used. Instead, sophisticated averaging software routines will "filter" the MAP signal based on development data, the sorts of periodic fluctions in MAP the specific system generates...i.e...number of cylinders, plenum volume, etc... to provde the right sort of MAP signal for the various ECM functions. One of the key factors in this calibration and treatment of the MAP signal is the volume in the hose leading to the MAP sensor. If you change this (by teeing in a large volume) you just threw out all the MAP signal processing development that was done for the system.

Yes, vacuum is low at WOT.....but.....MAP is high at WOT. Therefore the fact that there is zero vacuum has little relevence on the MAP reading at the sensor. BARO - Vacuum = MAP At WOT the MAP reading is basically the BARO ( minus some slight loss thru the air cleaner/induction system) with any inputs from the engine side of the system superimposed on it. MAP at WOT is far more active than at idle or heavily throttled areas.

BTW....MAP readings are WOT are far from steady. Take the snubber out of your "vacuum gauge" and see. Even then you can only see a tiny proportion of the noise. There is a lot of instantaneous noise on the raw MAP signal from pressure surges in the intake volume. This changes constantly with the barometric pressure in the local you are in and the rapidly changing RPM of the engine. Production systems are designed to "tune" this out of the MAP signal system. Just suppose.....you add a volume to the MAP signal line (with a tee'd in hose to the cruise) that suddenly (and inadvertently) adds a signficant tuning volume that will magnify certain frequency signals. You might never see this unless the engine dwells at that specific RPM for a period of time. This could easily drive the system rich or lean. This phenonenon is very prevalent on individual throttled systems like a motorcycle so you are recommending an install that is even more likely to cause a problem than on systems that problems have already been observed in the past!!!

The volume of area inside the throttled side of the system is relatively large. Pulling vacuum off of that general plenum area thru a separate port will have FAR less effect on the vacuum signal to the MAP sensor than putting it in parrallel. The small port at the plenum (the MAP signal ports, for instance) will act to isolate the effect of other ports due to it's being a restriction and resonance point or node for downstream resonances or "tuning" problems with the length of line leading to the MAP sensor.

Let me clearify one thing. I don't propose feeding the cruise off of just one of the service ports. It would be best to use all four of them in the same sort of arrangement the MAP sensor uses. Even better, would be to isolate each of the service ports with a one-way vacuum check valve in each port line and then tee the four isolated sources together as the feed for the cruise. That is the way my CC system is plumbed on my FJR and the way that I would recommend doing it. Plenty of vacuum supply with all four port accessed and each port is isolated by the use of four check valves. In reality, with the large vacuum reservoir and single check valve in the system it is probably fine to use just one service port as the only real disadvantage is a reduce vacuum signal...but with the reservoir in the system the reservoir alone will serve to provide cruise function from that vacuum supply with only slight replenishment.

In summary:

"As you may know, any extra volume in the intake track of any cylinder would increase total volume by the same amount, this will not change if it was hooked up to one or all four." True, but use all four service ports, not just one. Individual vacuum signals from different ports DO tend to be isolated from the other taps by the orifice effect at the plenum intrance. So...tapping off of the service ports WILL isolate the effect of the cruise from the MAP signal.

"Respectfully, I disagree that hooking into the service port of one is a better method. The small amounts of air moved is better shared by all 4 cylinders, not only for a smoother vacuum supply for the cruise unit, but less chance of an erratic MAP signal output." But, why would you introduce a potential tuning problem in the isolated feed to the MAP sensor when it is PROVEN to cause problems in many other cases. Cases you never even knew about because the manufacturer developed it out before you ever saw it.

"I think there is little or no risk of performance issues at wide open throttle." You think wrong. Due to the engine induced pertubations in the induction system MAP the chances of unintentially inducing an undesireable tuning effect in the MAP signal line is greater at WOT than any other time. Think of it like a helmholz resonator that you may create by teeing in an additional volume into the line. What frequency did you accent or attenuate. Don't know??? Better figure it out before saying nothing is going to happen.

"As far as I know, WOT……is WOT." WOT may be WOT but the signals and pressure pertubations induced into the intake plenum volume change constantly based on RPM of the engine. So...WOT at 3000 is not the same as WOT at 8000 when looking at MAP sensor tuning. Not even close.

"You wrote “If you look at OEM fuel injection systems it would be very very rare to find any accessory or vacuum feed plumbed in parallel with the MAP signal for just such a reason.”

I don’t know what you mean by this. The MAP sensors are always reading manifold vacuum and just about everything related to vacuum (cruise control, pcv system, fuel evap emission control, interior climate control……the list goes on) is in parallel with this sensor. When there’s a vacuum leak, depending on the size, vacuum will be reduced to everything………including MAP sensor."

What I mean is that no OEM will tee into the MAP signal line for accessories for the reasons elaborated upon above. No one does this. MAP signal lines are always discrete...for a reason. Thinking you have figured this all out and rationalizing that it is OK to tee into the MAP signal line is an error. Look at production systems and see for yourself. No one tees into the MAP line. As mentioned above, the discrete MAP signal IS isolated from the other influences by the orifice effect at the plenum entrance. Certainly a vacuum leak or other transient will affect the plenum volume and it will also affect the MAP signal accordingly. This is OK as long as the input affects the engine and the MAP is reacting to that engine change in vacuum. To put some unknown vacuum volume in parallel to the MAP signal line (by teeing into it) would introduce MAP errors via unwanted tuning that the engine would NOT see. BAD.

I really don't mean to belabor this but it is text book wrong to tee into the MAP line whether you believe it or not. If it is not causing you a problem then, fine, have at it. But do NOT recommend it to others and attempt to justify it.

Use the service vacuum ports for cruise control feed, do not tee into the MAP line.

Wow! And just when you thought you’d heard everything there was to say about an Audiovox CC install…

Does anybody else have any input on teeing into the single vacuum source for the MAP sensor? Obviously, jestal and Gordon are in disagreement, but they have both stated their cases very clearly and intelligently. Thank you both for that.

I ask because I’m still in the middle of my install, and while I did follow Gordon’s suggestions for the hose connections, I still have the tank off.

I’m definitely not interested in changing this thread into an “I did the Audiovox CC this way or that way and it worked for me” thread. I think I’ve read most of those (and they’ve been great). But I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on this particular vacuum hose connection.

Thanks again, Gordon, for this extremely helpful post. And thank you, jestal, for your input as well. I luuuuuuuuuv this forum.

Wow, too much 4 me. Big ordeal, you guys work this out then someone do mine 4 me. I got my cruise the same day i bought my bike. Been a handy mechanic for a long time but I don't even want to do this, don't know how others are inspired buy all this. I can't seem to be able to pay anyone around here to attempt this install so I am paying a qualified FJR cruise installer that wants my money.

Banzai.

Thanks again, Gordon, for this extremely helpful post. And thank you, jestal, for your input as well. I luuuuuuuuuv this forum.

No doubt, Jestal is full of knowledge and generous with his contribution to this community. My intention for the write-up is to share and assist, for anyone who wishes to tackle this cruise install and to save them some R&D time. The experience and methods I’ve posted worked flawlessly for me….and hopefully it will work for others as well.

Sound to me like Justal came up with quite an elaborate combination vacuum system with 4 separate check valves, an entire vacuum hose harness to all 4 cylinders and multiple fittings to tie it all together before hooking it up to the canister. If you are trying to decide which direction to go with this. Perhaps you can contact him to post his method for a show and tell to help with your decision making.

Gordon

All these guys are full of [SIZE=24pt]CRAP!!!![/SIZE] :glare:

I have found the BEST way to avoid any potential pitfalls that might occur by dinking around with the MAP signal line!!!

My method is FOOLPROOF, and 100% RELIABLE, and has never cause any vacuum-related issues whatsoever!

MAPfix.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All these guys are full of [SIZE=24pt]CRAP!!!![/SIZE] :glare:
I have found the BEST way to avoid any potential pitfalls that might occur by dinking around with the MAP signal line!!!

My method is FOOLPROOF, and 100% RELIABLE, and has never cause any vacuum-related issues whatsoever!

MAPfix.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:Leave it to the old techmaster himself to simplify things and unconfuse things for us all.Thank you WC LOL

Not to get off topic, but FJRCarShopGuy, what camera DID you use to take those gorgeous pics? The size and quality of the pics are excellent for the kb used. I need a new camera!

BTW, not that I'm taking sides, but considering the several hundreds of thousands of miles experience over the last few years with guys using one or more of the vac ports (not MAP sensor)... it's hard to argue with success. Still, a great install and as you can tell we're all glad you shared with us! Well done!

Not to get off topic, but FJRCarShopGuy, what camera DID you use to take those gorgeous pics? The size and quality of the pics are excellent for the kb used. I need a new camera!
BTW, not that I'm taking sides, but considering the several hundreds of thousands of miles experience over the last few years with guys using one or more of the vac ports (not MAP sensor)... it's hard to argue with success. Still, a great install and as you can tell we're all glad you shared with us! Well done!

FJRocket, I used the Canon Power Shot S500. Which is your typical stardard point and shoot camera, not pro at all. The close ups were done in macro mode and all default settings, including auto flash. I think it was the camera that produced the nice pics because I don't have much camera experience. Now, is that good endorsement or what?

I agree, hooking it to one or two service ports will work just fine. It has been the standard practice for most installs. And Jestal's method will work also with all the separate valves. Although I would have a little concern over time with the extra 20 or so connections required. So.......there are choices here, one would have to make the call. Sharing ideas is what this is all about.

Gordon

The size and quality of the pics are excellent for the kb used. I need a new camera!
+1 I have been trying to document some of the work I have been doing. Anything close up, especially near a reflective surface like the frame or engine, are very blurry. Don't want to hijack your thread, but a big thumbs on the pics!

I am new member of this forum although have read a lot of good information before joining. I am also going to do cruise install and all the information here is outstanding.I think it is great that all disscuss possible problems and solving situations.I would think if one were to hook up a vacume line incorrectly the computer would show a problem on screen, but if not could easily go to your local yamaha dealer and plug into there's.If there were a problem would think it would show up. Just my thoughts. Keep up the good work all. PS as for the fellow with throttle lock is better than nothing but am sure we all have done that on long hauls is not substitue for a good cruise control.

Great write up! However I'd follow Jestal's advice and not tap into the MAP sensor. Jestal works for GM and knows his stuff.

Trust him.

I have difficulty believing that the check valves can physically open and close as rapidly as a cylinder's intake pulses at high engine rpm. At 6K rpm a check valve connected to one TB would have to open and close 50 times a second.

I am installing my AVCC and have read all the write-ups and have a question still...do I hook up the vucuum hose to the throttle bodies themselves or do I hook them up to the valve where you check your valve alignment?

Valve alignment? Is that checked when muffler bearings go bad?

There are four rubber caps on the rail across the top of the throttle bodies. Pick one. That's it.

Some folks rig up a series of check valves and use all four. The check valves are so they don't "see" each other.