• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Audiovox cruise control with installation service, all years

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the cruise work at all before the problem surfaced? I for the life of me cannot relate the two unless a wrong wire was tapped into for coil/brake/power interface. I lean towards an unconnected fault, like a bad connection in the factory harness that was "accidently" fixed on the uninstall. If several others have been successfully installed on AE's, then this is an anomoly, not a characteristic dooming all installs-it doesn't make sense any other way.

Did the cruise work at all before the problem surfaced? I for the life of me cannot relate the two unless a wrong wire was tapped into for coil/brake/power interface. I lean towards an unconnected fault, like a bad connection in the factory harness that was "accidently" fixed on the uninstall. If several others have been successfully installed on AE's, then this is an anomoly, not a characteristic dooming all installs-it doesn't make sense any other way.
I drove six or seven blocks to a gas station and bike wouldn't go into neutral when I stopped. I didn't think too much about it and filled up and drove to the exit of the gas station in first gear. When I tryed to drive out of the station, the clutch was disengaged even though the gear indicator read that it was in first. I was unable to get the bike to move. Pushed off to the side and called Smitty. Bike could be shifted manually into any gear by manually moving shaft but cluth would not engage. Clutch did engage twice, briefly, when on centerstand but would not stay engaged. Finally gave up and we pushed bike back to Smitty's. I am real sure that a wrong wire tap was not the issue. I agree that this is probably an anomoly but?

Anyway, something triggered the fault switch to readout "shift". Smitty double-checked all of the fuel injection connections at least three times with me observing and nothing was loose or not connected. Whatever triggered the fault was what was wrong. The manual was/is virtually no help with defining that fault accurately from my perspective. If someone finds out something more detailed that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clutch must use rpm signal for engagement. This is all guesswork, so stay with me. One of the taps is on a coil primary wire for use as a speed signal. I'm guessing the chosen wire messed with the ECM's ability to read engine rpm's, possibly a backfeed like those encountered when using a brakelight flasher, which messes with the servo's ability to sense brake actuation. The blue wire may have inadvertantly been attached to the + side of the coil rather than the -?,in any case, that coil tap is the only interface that could possibly mess with engine management. I'm certain the key is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I was thinking, too. I did the install on my AE, and it works great. It has worked fault free for almost 9K miles. And lemme tell ya that I moved everthing in the "computer bay" more than once, and the units are not even secured (just packed and padded).

Smitty, I hate to see you give up on these clickers. It HAD to be a fluke, like Rad suggested.

Well after impulse buying the 06A last week (576 miles, almost there) and being led to this forum by a friend and fellow owner, I have lurked around trying to decide whether the first mod would be heated hand grips or cruise control. Hand grips are nice but even with a "cramp buster" on the throttle my hand gets worn out on long trips and I didn't think there was a solution outside of the vista cruises or throttlemeisters and for some reason that didn't excite me. After looking at some of the owners reports on electronic CC and being only 1 hour from Smitty, I decided to go that direction and got it put on last night.

I can 100% vouch for the professionalism, efficiency and good nature of Smitty. He had the whole project finished in just under 3 hours and it works great! He is like the Jiffy Lube of cruise control installs. When I pulled up, every tool was laid out like an emergency room and he definitely knows his way around the FJR. It would have taken me longer to get the plastic off without breaking it than it took him for the whole thing. He also took released the throttle spring one round at my request (highly recommended) and also hooked up my hacked together GPS wiring on the same relay as the CC.

If you are looking to one stop shop on the CC, this is the man to do it! I was almost tempted to take the interstate home, but this bike is just too much fun in the twisties!! :yahoo:

John

Hi Smitty. Just became a forum member and I like the cruise control idea as it is about the only thing an FJR needs to be the perfect touring bike for me. I live in Stillwater Ok. and would love an oppertunity to come see you for a Saturday. Where do you live and how bookded up are you?

I manufacture motorcycle wheel stands and you can view my product at www.wheeldock.com.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks Rod

Forgot to ask you if you do installs during the week??

The only thing better than getting a new farkle for the scooter is getting away from work while doing it...

I have 2 units in stock right now. If you are thinking about cruise, send me a PM. We do installs on most weekends, and in the evening. In and out in less than 4 hours.

Also install most farkles...

$300. cruise complete installed

Dual Star heated grips

Heattrollers

GPS

XM Radio

Blue Sea fuse panels

Tires changes

Oil changes, rear lube, and drive spline service

Brake lines (including ABS)

Stator install

Most things done while you wait...

Smitty :)

FJR

I have 2 units in stock right now. If you are thinking about cruise, send me a PM. We do installs on most weekends, and in the evening. In and out in less than 4 hours.
Also install most farkles...

$300. cruise complete installed

Dual Star heated grips

Heattrollers

GPS

XM Radio

Blue Sea fuse panels

Tires changes

Oil changes, rear lube, and drive spline service

Brake lines (including ABS)

Stator install

Most things done while you wait...

Smitty :)

FJR
Damm Smitty...I wish you lived closer to New England. Anyone know of a guy up my way for Cruise install?

Dang! I wish you were a little closer to San Antonio! Already got the Skyway mount. :)

I guess I could take a road trip to visit the folks in Central Illinois :)

I am curious, where are you mounting the servo on the 06 models? Kind of cramped with all the ABS stuff down under the seat. I like the way you've done the vacum cannister and will have to look into that. A good place for the servo is throwing me right now.

Dang! I wish you were a little closer to San Antonio! Already got the Skyway mount. :)
I guess I could take a road trip to visit the folks in Central Illinois :)

I am curious, where are you mounting the servo on the 06 models? Kind of cramped with all the ABS stuff down under the seat. I like the way you've done the vacum cannister and will have to look into that. A good place for the servo is throwing me right now.

I mount the servo under the seat. I have found it to be the best place to keep it out of harms way. There is just enough room to put in in there and still put the tool kit under there. I have a sister in law in San Antonio... Come on up, be happy to do the install for you... I am right on the way to central Illinois!!!

I mount the servo under the seat. I have found it to be the best place to keep it out of harms way. There is just enough room to put in in there and still put the tool kit under there.
It has to mount in the storage tray area? Or under the tray? I was hoping to keep the storage, but I suppose there may have to be a sacrifice.

I have a sister in law in San Antonio... Come on up, be happy to do the install for you... I am right on the way to central Illinois!!!
Thank you for the offer. It may be a while before I road trip up there though. In all reality, if I take a trip that long I'd rather it be up through CO, WY and UT. :)

I see your going to the Atlanta area. Can't talk you into visiting the sister in-law can I? :D I'll show you the best Texas Hill Country riding around! Or, meet you in AR and we'll tear up the Pig Trail and Hwy 7. B)

Yes, it mounts in the tray. If I get down that way I will let you know. My oldest daughter lives on the south side of Atlanta. I have that week off and planning to ride down there....Smitty

Just wanted to let everyone know I have done a few more AE's and they worked fine. I do mount the servo under the tank, and do not have to move the computers under the seat. It is added work to place it there so here my new price list for the 06 AE model... Thanks everyone , Smitty

FJR installs.. $310. for 2003-2006 FJR's A models. If you have a 06 A model and want it under the tank it will be the same price as a AE model.

The cost is $365. for a AE model.

This includes all labor, cruise unit, vacuum cam, and relay.

The relay was not included before.

Just wanted to let everyone know I have done a few more AE's and they worked fine. I do mount the servo under the tank, and do not have to move the computers under the seat. It is added work to place it there so here my new price list for the 06 AE model... Thanks everyone , Smitty

FJR installs.. $310. for 2003-2006 FJR's A models. If you have a 06 A model and want it under the tank it will be the same price as a AE model.

Smitty,

How much of a PITA would it be to move my CCS from the seat to the tank?

Merry Christmas!

Shane

Smitty,

Is there any chance you might be down toward Houston in the future? I want to put a cruise on my AE but I am not very confident in my ability to do it on my own.

CaryB

Smitty,

How much of a PITA would it be to move my CCS from the seat to the tank?

Merry Christmas!

Shane
Shane, it would be a bit of work.. But the biggest problem is how far we are apart. If you or any other AE owner I have installed a cruise on will bring it back to my shop. I will move the servo for free. I feel this is just makes good sense. Any new installs will go under the tank from now on. So if you are ever close to Hooterville, I will fix you up..

Caryb, if I ever get down that way I will let you know. After my job ends in Feb, I may tour the country Doing installs for a month or so. Smitty :D

After my job ends in Feb, I may tour the country Doing installs for a month or so. Smitty :D
Cool. Let me see if I can organize some CC installation customers for you here in Abq. NM. I'd be interested in having you do my AE. You might consider putting up a Yahoo group so people could see what your schedule is and where you may be when. Their calendar function could work well for you and us in this way.

Don't forget about us San Antonio guys! :) We'll show you some great Hill Country riding to boot!

Of course, I can always come hang out in Houston if there is a gang install over there! Still, an around the country ride can't miss the Texas Hill Country. :)

Smitty, you should attempt to do an Iron Butt. I can see it now. 49 states and 100 ccs installs in 30 days.

Call it the CCS-100!!!!!!!! BWaaaahahha!!!! :lol: