Auxiliary Cell Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wednesday I drove to the shop that was going to do the welding for me. I had the various plates that make up the tank with me, some I made and the bottom plate that was made for me. I was really looking forward to seeing all of those pieces come together.

Things looked pretty quiet and I wondered if they were still in business. I drove around to the front entrance and saw something taped to the door. I got out of my truck and walked up to the door expecting a "We have moved" note. But it was actually an eviction notice from the sheriff. Bummer. For two days, I wondered what happened. I questioned myself and my ability judge character. Now what was I going to do?

Things have a way of working out.

One of the guys I work with who rides, but questions my sanity for wanting to carry an auxiliary tank, hooked me up with a very competent welder. I stopped by his shop today and early next week he's going to weld my tank for me. Hell of a nice guy. I'm back to being excited to see the pieces come together.

A week from today I might actually post photos of the completed version of the flat top/over the tail tank.

O.K. I picked the tank up from the welder's today.

I will post photos later, but right now I need a couple of questions answered:

To calculate the volume of the tank, I am planning to fill the tank to the brim (the tank top is not welded on yet), pour the contents into a five gallon bucket and weigh the bucket on a FedEx scale. I will zero the scale with the empty bucket, and I will take the temperature of the water. If the water is 70ºF, I will use 8.3290 lb/US gallon for the Specific Weight. So, if the water weighs 37.48 lbs., the volume is 4.5 gallons.

Is that Right?

(edit: Using the above method; the volume of the tank, filled to the brim, is 4.72 gallons. I didn't factor the baffles into the CAD model analysis.)

Next question, I was planning on using a Wisco/JAZ flush mount filler caps, but what will happen if I have something strapped to the top of the tank? Is the vented cap going to leak and soak my travel bag?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Now you have me interested, again..
And all it took was a pic of Joels ass! Who knew?

Man, I'm gettin slow as I age..........my only excuse is I haven't checked this thread for ages.

To calculate the volume of the tank, I am planning to fill the tank to the brim (the tank top is not welded on yet), pour the contents into a five gallon bucket and weigh the bucket on a FedEx scale. I will zero the scale with the empty bucket, and I will take the temperature of the water. If the water is 70ºF, I will use 8.3290 lb/US gallon for the Specific Weight. So, if the water weighs 37.48 lbs., the volume is 4.5 gallons.

Is that Right?

Next question, I was planning on using a Wisco/JAZ flush mount filler caps, but what will happen if I have something strapped to the top of the tank? Is the vented cap going to leak and soak my travel bag?
Why don't you just tare the scale with the tank on it, and fill up the tank with water?

Were it me, I'd use some hard styrofoam from a shipping box to get it level, and then slowly pour the water in. You can dig out grooves in the styrofoam for any outlets, etc, on the bottom. And if its fragile I wouldn't want to be picking it up full of water and trying to pour it into a bucket.

Six of one, half dozen the other, I reckon.

Were it me, I'd use some hard styrofoam from a shipping box to get it level, and then slowly pour the water in. You can dig out grooves in the styrofoam for any outlets, etc, on the bottom. And if its fragile I wouldn't want to be picking it up full of water and trying to pour it into a bucket. Six of one, half dozen the other, I reckon.
No, you just like to argue-I've met your kind before mister, and I'm not gonna put up with it. CORNER!

Were it me, I'd use some hard styrofoam from a shipping box to get it level, and then slowly pour the water in. You can dig out grooves in the styrofoam for any outlets, etc, on the bottom. And if its fragile I wouldn't want to be picking it up full of water and trying to pour it into a bucket. Six of one, half dozen the other, I reckon.
No, you just like to argue-I've met your kind before mister, and I'm not gonna put up with it. CORNER!
Somebody get me my dunce hat back from Bust, please :p

Last I seen it Ol' Weasel dick Howie had it on...

Hey Manatee love child :eek:neeyedsmiley02: Box that bugger up an send it out west.

:jester:

O.K. Here are the photos:

DSC04610.JPG

I had to go with the large photo for that one. That is some beautiful welding. I wish I could to that.

DSC04607.JPG
[SIZE=24pt]•[/SIZE]
DSC04598.JPG

DSC04594.JPG
[SIZE=24pt]•[/SIZE]
DSC04593.JPG

If you would like to see larger images: <Link>

Yer all sick, really sick! :fuck:
Oh yeah, .. we're the sick ones... Please don't abuse the link to the larger images.

Why don't you just tare the scale with the tank on it, and fill up the tank with water?
Rad nailed that one. It's a FedEx scale. I'm not putting an odd shaped, water filled container on a scale next to our shipping computer.

Were it me, I'd use some hard styrofoam from a shipping box to get it level, and then ...
If you've followed any of my projects you might get the idea that I over complicate things. But, even I have my moments of clarity. ;)

One last note, this thing is amazingly strong even with out the top on. My welding artist had the tank full of water when I stopped to pick it up. While I was pouring the contents into a sink, that baby didn't flex a bit.

Is that Right?

Joe, rather than put highly corrosive water in the tank, why don't you send me the dimensions - I'd be happy to figure it out for you.

As to the filler tube and cap, take a look at Tanji's solution - I'd suggest you copy it, as it addresses your concerns with leaking on your luggage. And it would be a shame to have to remove anything strapped to it for filling.

Joe, rather than put highly corrosive water in the tank, why don't you send me the dimensions - I'd be happy to figure it out for you.
As to the filler tube and cap, take a look at Tanji's solution - I'd suggest you copy it, as it addresses your concerns with leaking on your luggage. And it would be a shame to have to remove anything strapped to it for filling.
Thanks Hal. I did an analysis of the volume in the CAD model, so it should be close to my target of 4.8 gallons. It will probably never be an issue, but I was trying to avoid any surprises if the tank should ever make it to an IBR tech inspection.

I haven't been able to find the filler neck used on the Tanji tanks. I've found similar cast aluminum flip top gas caps, but they have a flange on them. Like this one: <Link>

I'll keep looking

:sad, slow headshake:

All looking good. However (always a "however"), what is protecting the stuff under the area where the pillion seat used to be? I'm thinking of a Smuggler type set up, which appears to be "sealed", the place where I keep my owners manual and other stuff is kept. Your design (I've been following this for months) looks good but is it weatherproof under the seat area? Always been my hang up with the LDR aux. tanks, what is the weather protection? Not only the owners manual but stuff like other folks have put back there like audio-com or other farkles? Or even corrosion on the brake and tail lights connections?

Sorry if I threw a wrench in the works. Thinking about this because we got nailed by rain at SFO

How about a section of 1.5" PVC held in place with JB weld for the filler neck? Just think, no static charge, very safe fueling!

Safety first and all...

just trying to help, ol 2lmaker! :rofl:

Just in case your wondering ...

The filler neck has me seriously pissed off. I went to my local speed shop over a week ago and bought one of these:

C73-758_1.jpg
<Link>

Simple enough. Right? All I have to do is make up some sort of 45 degree filler neck. "All I have to do..." The problem started when I started thinking about how I didn't want the filler neck below the top edge of the tank. Solution:

Click on the photo for a larger image

I've got the tank top plate finished and if I had finished the filler neck tonight, I could have brought all of the parts to the welder tomorrow. It wasn't until I had the center hole milled that I realized; the wall thickness was too thin for the vent fittings. Shit! If I had just ordered the damn aluminum 45 degree fittings from McMaster-Carr, I would have had them by now. Shit! Now it'll be Monday before I can have everything welded.

I'm going home now. I need a drink. I need a smoke. I need a band of merry elves to work through the night to get my parts made. (too bad I'm not JoeShoeMaker)

feeling like a Joe2L right now