Auxiliary Cell Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you ARE being rude as are quite a few other people on this board (which is mainly why I don't post much on this board, way to go, stifling creativity and new ideas!), and I assumed that the original poster was open to suggestions according to his initial post and you aren't the original poster so I guess thats up to him. I'm sorry that you can't read or understand what I am trying to say because you have already missed several points I made. For example, I said the fuel cell would be made of plastic or metal not a "floppy tank bag", I used that to illustrate how it would be positioned and mounted, which would be the nebulous connector you still haven't gotten. As far as plumbing, its a straight shot to the main tank from a higher position (gravity feed) than the main tank with a big hole, whats not to get?
Sorry if this is too complex for you to understand, perhaps next time you should wait for the original poster to decide if it is a waste of time or hijacking his thread, because it is HIS, not yours...

Glen
Your first post says "What do y'all think about a fuel cell that mounts like this tank bag:"

You asked. I gave an opinion. Use your creativity to produce an actual working sample please.

Well you ARE being rude as are quite a few other people on this board (which is mainly why I don't post much on this board, way to go, stifling creativity and new ideas!), and I assumed that the original poster was open to suggestions according to his initial post and you aren't the original poster so I guess thats up to him. I'm sorry that you can't read or understand what I am trying to say because you have already missed several points I made. For example, I said the fuel cell would be made of plastic or metal not a "floppy tank bag", I used that to illustrate how it would be positioned and mounted, which would be the nebulous connector you still haven't gotten. As far as plumbing, its a straight shot to the main tank from a higher position (gravity feed) than the main tank with a big hole, whats not to get?
Sorry if this is too complex for you to understand, perhaps next time you should wait for the original poster to decide if it is a waste of time or hijacking his thread, because it is HIS, not yours...

Glen
Your first post says "What do y'all think about a fuel cell that mounts like this tank bag:"

You asked. I gave an opinion. Use your creativity to produce an actual working sample please.
Your opinion was rude and unfounded since you never really read what I posted:

use a plastic tank with metal mount
Since I couldn't find anything like what I was trying to show the original poster, I used that tank bag for an (wait for it...) example of what I was trying to explain, and now that you mention it I think I will try and draw something up that explains it better. It would be much easier to take on and off with less stuff to mount up front. Unfortunately, I do not have the facilities to create something like this but I can put forth ideas, unlike you who has done nothing but criticize. Thats fine, I do not let people like you get me down, I think the idea has merit and will pursue it on my own since there is no collaboration to be found here. Do not bother responding as I will not revisit this thread.

Have a great day!

Glen

O.K. It's time to get this train back on the tracks.

As some of you know, I replaced my fuel pump flange with a Gen I fuel pump flange. <Link>

I haven't modified the GenI fuel pump flange which means I'm going to need a fuel pump to overcome its check valve. Post #61 shows the fuel pump I have. The size of the unit is about the same as what kaitsdad used.<Link>

Since my bulkhead to the bike's tank is in the fuel pump, I wish I could think of an ingenious way to use that pump to draw the fuel out of the auxiliary tank, but so far I haven't come up with anything.

I'm leaning toward mounting the auxiliary fuel pump to the rack that holds the fuel cell... disconnect the fuel line, disconnect the electric and remove the whole works. I could also mount it where kaitsdad mounted his.

Any opinions?

Since my bulkhead to the bike's tank is in the fuel pump, I wish I could think of an ingenious way to use that pump to draw the fuel out of the auxiliary tank, but so far I haven't come up with anything.
Um, can we back up a second, please?

Am I understanding this correctly: you installed your bulkhead fitting directly into the bottom of your fuel pump?

Pics, please? I really want to see this, seriously.... if you've posted them in this thread, I musta missed it.... :huh:

And the bigger question is: have you reinstalled the fuel pump and refilled your main tank (all the way to the top) to do a leak check? This includes running the engine for quite a while to reach normal operating temperatures... have you done that yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Am I understanding this correctly: you installed your bulkhead fitting directly into the bottom of your fuel pump?

Pics, please? I really want to see this, seriously.... if you've posted them in this thread, I musta missed it.... :huh:

And the bigger question is: have you reinstalled the fuel pump and refilled your main tank (all the way to the top) to do a leak check? This includes running the engine for quite a while to reach normal operating temperatures... have you done that yet?
Ahh, toolmaker, you got the big kahuna hooked! :rolleyes:

WC

I believe and I may be wrong he is referring to this thread bulk head

Is there anyway to mount the fuel pump assembly "in" the auxillary fuel cell?
Yes.
I actually like that approach, but it might cost more. It would need to be a complete unit; pump, pump holder, reservoir, and flange.

Another possible obstacle would be finding a submersible fuel pump that is low pressure/low volume.

The GenI return line <Link> to the fuel pump flange will be serve as a "bulkhead" in my GenII.

O.K. I'm on it. I was going to wait until my quick disconnects came and I had the fuel pump installed.

No. The system is still dry. I am anxiously looking forward to the trip for a full tank of clear gas before winter storage. Again, I was going to wait until I had at least the quick disconnect fittings if not the fuel pump too.

Ahh, toolmaker, you got the big kahuna hooked! :rolleyes:
I'm thankful for it too.

Hopefully I'm not "wearing out the saints" with this, but here we go again...

I finished revising my models & drawings. I sent them with a request for quote and this project is back on the front burner.

I want to order the fittings so I have them on hand when the other work is finished and I've got a few questions:

The JAZ Aircraft Style Flush Cap are very commonly used.
350-201-06-200.jpg

These are vented, but since vented caps are not recommend additional vents are common. All of the vents I have seen (Ignacio, IronMaiden, Warchild) look like simple fittings on top of the tank. What keeps these from venting fuel? Is there some sort of discriminator valve?

Even though I would prefer a flush mount cap, the idea of venting only vapor has me thinking I need a filler neck. I hope to order this stuff next week, so your expertise is greatly appreciated.

This is the week I cut the side, front, and back plates before I send everything to the welder.

Thinking about the front plate, I thought I had better see exactly how much room my ass needed.

DSC04565.JPG

Better to find out now...

The front plate and side plates are going to need to make room for an average ass.

I spent some time today figuring out how I was going to notch the front of the tank out when I realized that the problem was the photo. I decided to take another photo, but this time lining the camera up with the back edge of the seat.

DSC04567.JPG

The problem was the camera angle. I don't need to make any design changes after all.

I also had another plate made for the JAZ cell.

DSC04568.JPG
[SIZE=24pt]-[/SIZE]
DSC04569.JPG
[SIZE=24pt]-[/SIZE]

DSC04571.JPG

I had another plate made for a rack to replace the rear seat, but I'm not sure what I think about that idea.

DSC04573.JPG

I'm wondering if I messed up.

I cut the side plates today and after I finished I had an idea. What if the tank is held down by two cross bars?

The original idea was to use the existing treaded holes in the bike's rear subframe and have sleeves welded through the tank at those locations. Now, I'm thinking it would be less expensive to use cross bars instead.

Let's see if this shows what I mean:

DSC04575_marked-up.JPG

DSC04579_marked-up.JPG

Let me know what you think. If I need to make a new set of side plates, the time for that is now.

Just a thought, but if you're going to be wanting to access the space beneath, then incorporating a hinge into your mounting system [front, rear, or one side] with a bumper catch opposite [threaded securely] would seem a good option. Three points of contact minimal perhaps?

Looking at the low 'tailgate' mounted option, the COG factor looks like a real plus; but on the downside it's sure a nice radar target, and the word 'Pinto' keeps coming to mind, ...man, I hope there's a bladder in it!

Three points of contact minimal perhaps?
It will definitely have three anchor points. I don't know if you are familiar with Dean Tanji's design for the GenI FJR, but if you check out the first post in this thread, there is a link. Tanji really nailed it.

... but on the downside it's sure a nice radar target, and the word 'Pinto' keeps coming to mind, ...man, I hope there's a bladder in it!
There are worse designs out there as far as rear impact is concerned. The sloshing fuel will be controlled and as far as radar targets ... I think the headlight reflectors and licence plates are more of a problem. :dntknw:

Three points of contact minimal perhaps?
It will definitely have three anchor points. I don't know if you are familiar with Dean Tanji's design for the GenI FJR, but if you check out the first post in this thread, there is a link. Tanji really nailed it.

... but on the downside it's sure a nice radar target, and the word 'Pinto' keeps coming to mind, ...man, I hope there's a bladder in it!
There are worse designs out there as far as rear impact is concerned. The sloshing fuel will be controlled and as far as radar targets ... I think the headlight reflectors and licence plates are more of a problem. :dntknw:
Joe, Thanks for responding to my not so timely comment, I posted after reading less than the entiire thread, and then after doing so realized it was less than a relavent comment & was just about to return and do a major edit. A very interesting discussion this, ...and I'm one who'll probably never install one. It will be interesting to see where both of your projects lead, and in the end which you feel adds up to the most bang for your buck [...'labor bucks' being very hard to quantify, I realize].