Best Grips?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmagg

Reaction score
Hello to all. I got my FJR a couple of months ago and am looking to replace the grips, but aren't sure what are best for long distance riding. I have been riding cruisers for the last few years and are used the wider Kuryakyn type grips.

Are you using the stock grips and if not, what have you found to work well while look good? Am I crazy for considering Kuryakyn for the FJR?

Also, what's a good cruise control?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give. BTW- we average about 25k+ miles a year on a bike.

Thanks

Kmagg

Geez, guy. What are the "best" shoes?

The fact that Warchild likes BMW grips shouldn't mean any more to beyond the fact that some person likes BMW grips.

Folks will post their favorites. That will be valuable if they can state what characteristics about the grip pleased them, and not "Well, they worked gud fer me.".

But, what about YOUR favorite. Riding 25k+ miles a year, you must have had pleasing grips on your bike or bikes, right? If it turns out you don't really like the stock FJR grips after using them a while, why not start with what has already worked well for you?

Best wishes.

You might have a tough time finding a short enough "cruiser style" grip for the FJR. Also keep in mind that the cruise control option you select can have an effect on grip selection and fitment. I'd choose the cruise before I slip on the grips.

Did the BMW grips because of the How-To on the WC site, also did the throttle grip tightener thingamajig doodle frant (Vista Cruise).

Love the VistaCruise !

BMW grips took me a little while to get used to & I use soft leather gloves for the long rides, but I'll probably try those monster oversized foam doodads after I wear out the BMW grips (at this point the BMW grips look good after 10K miles, so it might be a few years...).

Last edited by a moderator:
I went from the stock grips, to the BMW grips w/throttle rocker, to the BMW grips w/grip Puppies back to the BMW grips w/throttle rocker. I "think" my hand problems early on were because I'm a new rider and I was hanging on pretty hard to the grips. When I put the puppies on, it felt like I was holding a couple of footballs - but eventually I got used to the larger size. Then I took the puppies off to try the "new" style throttle rocker and at first the grips felt like a couple of soda straws! Now I've got the BMW grips w/throttle rocker and am very happy with the setup. I also no longer have a death grip on the bike and I know that makes a big difference. Good luck with your trial and error. Jim

I like these. Required some trimming on the ends. Eliminated numb hands for me (and a few others on this forum) $9.95
Tacki Grip
+1

Tried the BMW ones before this, and they just didnt do it for me. The Tackie Grips feel better for me on this bike.

I hated the OEM grips as they were too small a diameter and hard like most OEM grips. I then went to the foam touring grips from JCWhitney. For $5.99 a pair, they were okay and lasted nearly a year until they crapped out in a heavy rain while leaving the FLA checkpoint of the 2003 IBR.

G_12127G_SW_1.gif

I then went to a set of pimp grips in Buxton, Maine because it was the only thing they had that would fit to replace the grips that were losing foam like a 60 year old hooker loses customers. The problem with the pimp grips was again a diameter that was too small.

I went to the BMW sport grips with the inverted taper about a year or more back and have been very happy with them for all the reasons that I didn't like the others.

I tried Tackis but ended up with the Beemer grips, even though WC really likes them. Go figure.

I think I've tried every grip I ever heard of. This issue is one that is absolutely subjective in nature. I finally ended up going back to the stock grip with Grip Puppies installed over them. This combination gave me the thickness I wanted and seemed to be the most effective in combating some of the bar vibes. Try them all ( inexpensive to do so ) and make your pick.

Geez, guy. What are the "best" shoes?
The fact that Warchild likes BMW grips shouldn't mean any more to beyond the fact that some person likes BMW grips.

Folks will post their favorites. That will be valuable if they can state what characteristics about the grip pleased them, and not "Well, they worked gud fer me.".

But, what about YOUR favorite. Riding 25k+ miles a year, you must have had pleasing grips on your bike or bikes, right? If it turns out you don't really like the stock FJR grips after using them a while, why not start with what has already worked well for you?

Best wishes.
I've always used the Kuryakyn ISO grips and loved them. Unfortunately, I was told they wouldn't fit the FJR, hence the question.

However, you are correct. I should have posed the question "Favorite grips?" instead of "best grips" to see if there was some leader among the experienced FJR riders. Pardon my error.

I tried Tackis but ended up with the Beemer grips, even though WC really likes them. Go figure.
Thanks - the Beemers are starting to look like the crowd favorite so far.

I hated the OEM grips as they were too small a diameter and hard like most OEM grips. I then went to the foam touring grips from JCWhitney. For $5.99 a pair, they were okay and lasted nearly a year until they crapped out in a heavy rain while leaving the FLA checkpoint of the 2003 IBR.
G_12127G_SW_1.gif

I then went to a set of pimp grips in Buxton, Maine because it was the only thing they had that would fit to replace the grips that were losing foam like a 60 year old hooker loses customers. The problem with the pimp grips was again a diameter that was too small.

I went to the BMW sport grips with the inverted taper about a year or more back and have been very happy with them for all the reasons that I didn't like the others.
Thanks - I've tried those foam grips before and found them to disintegrate quickly also. Were you able to get a good deal on the BMW grips?

Tacki-grips and Vista-Cruise for me. Love both of them. Would not change either. And the tacki-grips did help reduce the numb hand syndrome for me also.

17-9117Lg.jpg

I tried about six different sets of grips, including the Tacki Grips and Beemer ones, before I finally found what works for me. I put on a set of foam cruiser grips (foam over hard rubber core)--the same grips I use on my GL1200, had to cut about an inch or so off the grips with a sharp knife so they fit my '04 FJR). Then I slipped on a set of Grip Puppies over the foam grips. I have a VERY large hand and this combo works perfectly for me. Virtually eliminated what little remained of the micro-vibration problem. The grips have held up beautifully, even when out in the rain. From here on out, all I should need to do is to replace the Grip Puppies outer layer when they begin to deteriorate--the inner foam cruiser grips should hold up for years. The grips also look cool on the FJR, with the chrome end caps, followed by R1 bar end weights.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

Can somebody recommend the best place to buy the BMW grips? also a vista cruise and bar weights. Once I start breaking all this stuff down I want to do it all at the same time. Sorta-kinda making plans for a trip late March and want to make these changes in advance of the trip. Thanx-bd

Can somebody recommend the best place to buy the BMW grips? also a vista cruise and bar weights. Once I start breaking all this stuff down I want to do it all at the same time. Sorta-kinda making plans for a trip late March and want to make these changes in advance of the trip. Thanx-bd
I plugged the Beemer numbers into google and found a BMW dealer in the NE that sold them at a discount-like 25% off or so, covered the shipping anyway. Bar ends, check the classifieds here and the other forums, thats how I got my first edition Bike Johnnys for $50. Vista Cruise most dealers and accessory shops carry, cheap at $20 or so. VistaCruise is the brand, accept no substitutes, they suX0rs at the t holding.