Best Risers? (Gen 3)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 07 FJR with the Helibar Bridge (up and back, adjustable). For me it's to far up and too far back! But that is because I prefer the sportbike posture, not the sit-up and cruise position. I'm only 5'8", 28" inseam and can just heel at stops with my extra heel height boots. When I assume the flex back sit-up position, my arms have a good bend, and as I ride along I lean further forward (to get the sportbike posture I prefer and more comfortable, without thinking about it) my arms are even more bent and I start crunching back my shoulders. This puts a kink between my shoulder blades after a few hours. I have to continuously fleck my back and sit-up and feel like I'm on a cruiser or something like a Goldwing. If my bike had not come with the Helibar, I probably would not have put it on.
I'm not a fan of the adjustable angle of the bars. I would prefer an adjustment which allowed moving the bars forward/rearward without changing the angle, as this adjustment can cause wrist angle issues. I think the best would be adjustable up/down, adjustable forward/rearward, adjustable angle in/out and adjustable angle up/down.......now that would probably be some ugly beast of a farkle!

However, I do understand why others feel the need to get the bars either up, and/or up and back. For my size, when I'm leaning forward in my preferred posture my chest almost touches my tank bag, which is most likely weird for I don't know many other 71 year olds (with a bad back, knees and hips) that prefer a sportbike over the sport-tourer sit-up comfy position.

Despite it not fitting me well, I think the FJR is a great bike and the Helibar bridge is a nice addition for those who benefit from it.
So why not just remove the bridge? It's a simple bolt-on to the factory handlebar top plate like in post #15 above, yes?

MV for me. With stock setup after several hours in the saddle my neck was stiff and I had some discomfort in between my shoulder blades. Now all of that is a thing of the past. I don't even think about it anymore. I'm 6'1'' and have the bars toward the rear of the available adjustment range. I was told that the helibars had more total adjustable range but I was able to hit the sweet spot with the range the MV's offered. They allow a more upright position and correct the unusual wrist angel that the stock bars created. Installation was a breeze - maybe an hour and no line extension to install. Ordered factory direct and had them in about 10 days. Highly recommended

I am thankful to the forum for leading me to choose an FJR, and for informing me about fixes for common ergonomic problems. I've said before, I've never had to modify my other bikes, and if I'd known what it would take to make this one an LD bike, I might have been scared off. To be able to ride 8 hours or more straight, never coming out of the seat, and never once think of discomfort, is a true sign of a great setup (helis/laam/touring screen). Everyone is different.

So which ones don't need any brake line work? From here it looks like MV and genmar do not need adjustment.

Helibar and MCL?

I am of simple skills so the easier to install, the better.

^^^^ The Heli add-on includes a short front brake line extension. No biggie to install and easy to bleed once done.

Any one of the bar risers will do the trick...just depends on which one you prefer.

--G

Latest posts