BigJohn's Alaskan Adventure - The Trip Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the fact that the Buell and the GSA were on Heidenau K60s and I was on Shinko 805 knobbies probably saved us from flats on the Dempster. I can't recall the number of both cars and trucks we passed changing tires alongside the road on the Dempster. If the pickup trucks were wearing "P" tires instead of 6 or 8 or 10 ply tired they were at risk.

I have some KLR questions for you. I read through the list of modifications and additions and I found that helpful and instructive.

Big John I am pretty sure you outweigh me. With all of the stuff you had on it did you go with the stock suspension or did you do some pre-work to that?

The KLR is still carbureted, not FI. How did it handle the altitude?

What sort of fuel mileage did you get on those gravel/muck/shale roads?

The KLR carries 6.1 gallons but I noticed you carried extra fuel. What sort of range between fill ups?

You ran Shinkos but your partners ran Heidenaus. Which would you use if you did it again?

Asking for a friend...
rolleyes.gif

I have some KLR questions for you. I read through the list of modifications and additions and I found that helpful and instructive.
Big John I am pretty sure you outweigh me. With all of the stuff you had on it did you go with the stock suspension or did you do some pre-work to that?

The KLR is still carbureted, not FI. How did it handle the altitude?

What sort of fuel mileage did you get on those gravel/muck/shale roads?

The KLR carries 6.1 gallons but I noticed you carried extra fuel. What sort of range between fill ups?

You ran Shinkos but your partners ran Heidenaus. Which would you use if you did it again?

Asking for a friend... :rolleyes:
09 Blue - The "Blue Beast" Tusk Panniers and mounts, EM Doo & Spring, EM Bolts, EM RL2, EM KLX Jet Kit. EM Fork Brace. Givi V47 Top Box with Admore Plus more LED Lights on rear, Shinko 804/805, ThermoBob2. Tusk Crash Guards. Ricochet Bash Plate. EM Drain Plug, Rox 2" Risers, Progressive Fork Springs.Acerbis Motard Fender #2.Seat Concepts Touring Seat, Idabaker H7 LED Bulbs, Happy Trails Rally Dash.

Above is all I've done to mine.

The Eagle Mike raising link really helps the stock spring do the job. With the spring set to its most firm setting and the damper set as tight as it goes I had very few instances of rear suspension bottoming. Many spend $1,000 plus for a fancy rear shock and front springs and fork cartridges. I opted for progressive springs in the front, I fooled with the spacer lengths a bit and the front works fine. I use ATF for fork oil up front.

Carb, I procured a KLX Jet Kit from Eagle Mike, comes with a different needle and three jets. I told him I live at 4,000 feet and ride up to 8,000 feet. He included a high altitude jet in the kit, i installed it and have had no trouble.

I got about 40 mpg at the best and low thirties running 75 mph into a headwind coming back across Montana. I ran a 16 tooth front sprocket from Tok, AK to home which dropped my cruising ROM about 500 rpm. 75 mph is 5,000 RPM. These bikes use about a quart of oil per 1,000 miles at that rpm. I'll probably install a 685cc kit this winter which provides an improved piston and oil control ring which purportedly cuts the oil consumption to near zero. I'd run the stock 15 tooth front sprocket for any off road or gravel rd riding.

I carried extra fuel on the Dempster and needed two gallons once. The Buell needed the other can. Although the bike supposedly holds 6.1 gallons I never have put that much in it. I figured about 1 liter for every 10 miles and it was usually close,to that except at higher speeds or in high wind.

The Shinko tires worked well for me. There isn't enough power in the KLR to wear the rear out like on a FJR. Heidenaugh K60 or Mitas E7 might be better or more durable but they are also way more costly. I'd plan on a change like i did.

I carried spare tubes, spare sprockets and chain, spare master links, spare clutch cable. Used t he sprockets and chain and one tube.

The KLR costs 25% of a BMW GAS and half of an Africa Twin. Neither of those great bikes will do anything the KLR won't do, though they might do it faster.

The only other low cost option I'd consider for the trip would be the Suzuki Wee-Strom, tubeless tires, twice the HP, suspension and ground clearance not as good as the KLR, but sufficient for where I went and what I did. I traded a Wee-Strom for the KLR, looking back I no d's wish I'd kept the Wee-Strom. The paved portion of the trip would have been more comfortable, but the wee doesn't fit into my pickup with the tailgate closed, the KLR does.

Hope all this ramble helps you.

That last bit is interesting. I was thinking the exact same thing: that a WeeStrom would have been great on that trip. Better than my Vee since you can milk an extra 10 mpg out of the little six fiddy twin. Most owners report getting ~50 mpg on the road with stock gearing. But the tank is only about 6 gals so you'd still want to carry extra fuel

Well John is sounds like you had yourself and bike well prepared. You must have done your home work and had the bike well equipped and up to the task.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I reflect on my adventure i think i would have been better off to have ditched the top box and taken another waterproof bag. The top box weighs more and its physical size constrained my ability to stuff stuff inside it.

You are getting me in trouble down here in the swamp. I have been quietly looking at V-Stroms (both sizes), F (and G) 650 GSs, KLR 650s, XR 650Ls, etc. for a while. Now I am looking seriously. Mrs. Redfish is NOT going to be happy with you at all if I buy another motorcycle.

Great information John, thanks for sharing your modifications and additions to the KLR. I'm not ready to give up the power and comfort of the Tenere yet, but I can see a [smaller] more off-road capable dual sport in my future. Perhaps a 700 Tenere...
rolleyes.gif

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode pterodactyls S10 and it just didn't "feel" like me. Going to try a R1150GS tomorrow and see how i like that.

All told, it will be hard to beat the KLR.

My KLR needs the 685 kit with better piston to control oil consumption at 5,000 rpm, they all do it according to the KLR Internet Experts.. This Fall/Winter project if I keep her.

Do you think the extra weight of something like a GS or S10 would have hindered you, or would the extra horse power been a plus that would have overcame the extra weight?

Do you think the extra weight of something like a GS or S10 would have hindered you, or would the extra horse power been a plus that would have overcame the extra weight?
Extra HP and extra Weight would have helped in the wind, there were no goat trails on the trip just some poorly maintained gravel roads, all in all the GS or an S10 would have made the trip more enjoyable.

Biggest disadvantage of the KLR is having to constantly screw with the chain; adjust, clean, clean, clean again, lube, adjust, replace etc.....