brakeaway throttle lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
I just got my brakeaway throttle in the mail and am looking forward to installing it. After reading some posts on how to remove the grips, it seems I have to cut them off. Anyone else have a different method? I sort of wanted to reuse them. But if I can't, I have been thinking on bmw grips. If somebody can share the experience with me, thanks in advance.

I just got my brakeaway throttle in the mail and am looking forward to installing it. After reading some posts on how to remove the grips, it seems I have to cut them off. Anyone else have a different method? I sort of wanted to reuse them. But if I can't, I have been thinking on bmw grips. If somebody can share the experience with me, thanks in advance.
If you have to cut your grips off, you're doing it wrong.

Compressed air, forced under the grip will expand the grip and it will come right off.

Remove the bar end weight and use a blower nozzle to inject the air (pressure doesn't need to be real high).

You have an air compressor, don't you? :unsure:

Good luck and I think you will like the Brake Away.

if you dont have compressed air you can try canned air. you can get it any electronics section of target or whereever. Never tried ot but it might work

Another trick to get grips off is to use WD-40. Slide a small screwdriver under the grip a few inches and then squirt some WD-40 under the grip with the little red tube that comes with the WD-40 can (if it hasn't fallen off and gotten lost yet). Then pull the screwdriver out and work the WD-40 up the grip by moving it around and twisting it a little. Pretty soon it'll slide right off.

Make sure you clean the grip and handlebar really good with mineral spirits or something to get all the WD-40 off before you try to put the grips back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got them off pretty easily, but can't seem to get the brakeaway adjusted right, it keeps binding.
You may have overtightened the small set screws.

This can cause the plastic throttle tube to deform and that may be causing the binding you are experiencing. Loosen those and see if that helps. Then reset those screws with loctite and let everything set up overnight.

Good luck.

I went out this morning and started messing with it, and got it right away. Sometimes it's best to walk away and try later with a cool head I guess. My problem was the L bracket that attaches to the brake lever pivot bolt was not aligned correctly. I loosened that, thightend everything else, then that, and now it works good. It might have some minor adjustments to the cam, if I push down on the brake it will release. According to the directions it shouldn't. But at least it works for now.

I didn't use loctite on any of the screws, think I'll have a problem with them vibrating loose? I am a little concerned the brake pivot bolt isn't long enough. The threads aren't going all the way through the lock nut, which means it's not really a lock nut anymore, just a regular nut.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and sorry for the double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out this morning and started messing with it, and got it right away. Sometimes it's best to walk away and try later with a cool head I guess. My problem was the L bracket that attaches to the brake lever pivot bolt was not aligned correctly. I loosened that, thightend everything else, then that, and now it works good. It might have some minor adjustments to the cam, if I push down on the brake it will release. According to the directions it shouldn't. But at least it works for now.I didn't use loctite on any of the screws, think I'll have a problem with them vibrating loose? I am a little concerned the brake pivot bolt isn't long enough. The threads aren't going all the way through the lock nut, which means it's not really a lock nut anymore, just a regular nut.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and sorry for the double post.
Well that's a good start.

I can't tell you outright that you will have a problem with the small set screws vibrating loose. It did happen on my installation. Maybe I didn't have them tight enough the first time but they did loosen. Since I used the loctite I've had no problems. You'll know if they are, when the device will not hold the throttle.

I've had mine for more than a year and the pivot bolt never loosened on my install. Again a dab of loctite would lessen any chance of that occurring.

This is an expensive device for a throttle lock but when properly installed, it holds the throttle very well and you can make minor adjustments when ascending or descending grades. Disengagement with the front brake is nice also.

Good luck, I think once you get use to it, you'll find it was worth the cost.