BT, satellite radio, etc

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXFJR

Reaction score
After living with an iPod on my 2011 for a couple of years, I am pretty tired of the same songs (although I do have a lot!). So, I am looking to add a satellite radio to complement the iPod.

I don't see a need for a GPS for a long time, until I retire and can actually take regular long trips on the bike. So, I have ruled out the GPS/Satellite Radio/Mp3 devices.

FIRST QUESTION: I am tentatively looking at the XM Onyx EZ radio, does anyone have this particular radio on their bike? If so, what are your opinions on it? I assume the output is via 3.5mm cables? Any mounting ideas?

The other question I have is about BT. This will probably make me sound very anti-social: I don't think I need a BT controller due to the fact that:

1. I DON'T want to have phone conversations while riding, that's why I ride, to get away from people.

2. I ride solo, so no need to communicate with a passenger

3. I don't do group rides, so no need to communicate with other riders

4. I don't use a radar detector

I was almost considering adding the BT kit to my Shark Evoline 2 helmet (because is seemed "cool" LOL!), but I just don't see the need.

SECOND QUESTION: Am I missing something that BT is for, other than the above reasons?

I currently use earplugs connected to my iPod. They work, but I have to say they bug the crap out of me.

LAST QUESTION: Can anyone recommend GOOD helmet speakers?. I have seen a few, but also heard so many negative comments about the sound quality (low volume/muffled etc)

I am pretty much the same as you and really only wanted some music to listen to , I tried the blue tooth set up on my helmet but didn't like the recharging stuff and hated to turn it on or off because of the phone stuff etc . I mounted a satellite docking station and then ran a jumper so I could just plug in a set of ear phones on to listen to music but could not control volume then I added a device that piggy backs off the aux port of sat radio to control volume . This set up has worked flawless for the last 2 years for me . I also put a glad bag over radio in rain to protect from rain damage to radio , crude yes but simple and it always works .I shopped and tried a few different styles of ear plugs till I got a set I liked could send you pictures if you like by e-mail as I don't know how to post pictures on this site , all the best Bob