Complete Illustrated Guide to Head Lamp Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to Zombie this thread, but since it was linked from another, I have a question.

If I'm lucky enough to do this in my garage, would removing the battery make life easier on the right side??

When I had to replace the left side bulb in my truck, access to that was blocked by the battery. I said a LOT of cuss words, and it looks like that job had more room. My hands aren't small, so I'm just trying to lessen the frustration.

FYI,

You all must not have the updated manual. When the low beam burns out you're supposed too use the adjustment knob to bring the other high beam down where you need it. :yahoo:

I've changed headlights in parking lots b4.
For an exceptional treat, try changing them on the side of the road at 2am... in pitch black darkness at a 7000' summit..... with ambient temps less than 40 degrees F..... with cagers whizzing by 2 feet from you at 70+ mph....

All while it's raining. Hard. :(
I'm gonna have to pass on that one.

I can unequivocally say that both bulbs can be changed on a Gen II without removing panels, and in about 10 minutes.

Thanks to the nice photo's on this post that had me knowing what to grope for. Oh, and I have chubby hands.

On another note, I installed GE Nighthawk platinum bulbs, and in doing a comparison between these and the stock bulbs, I could find no difference between the build quality of either. Filament sizes etc. appeared identical to stock bulbs.

On another note, I installed GE Nighthawk platinum bulbs, and in doing a comparison between these and the stock bulbs, I could find no difference between the build quality of either. Filament sizes etc. appeared identical to stock bulbs.
I had both of my NIghthawks burn out at about 33,000 miles on a trip to CA. Left bulb died first and I conned SacramentoMike into changing it. Two days later the right bulb died and I changed it.

Aren't these the type of bulbs that you don't want to touch with your sweaty, grimy hands? If so, it might be worth it to add that info for newbs. When I changed mine I was sure to wear silicone gloves on my dainty lil ol' hands.

Aren't these the type of bulbs that you don't want to touch with your sweaty, grimy hands? If so, it might be worth it to add that info for newbs. When I changed mine I was sure to wear silicone gloves on my dainty lil ol' hands.
True. But you only have to avoid touching the glass part. Otherwise sweat and grim work just fine.
wink.png

the Gen I bikes are waaaaay easier to change than later versions.

The left side can be done in about three minutes and the right is not as easy but still lots more room to work than on later Gens.

It helps that I have smaller hands.