Confirmation of 1st Valve Adjustment Interval

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Have a 2008 FJR at just under 16K miles. I called to request an appointment for the 16,000 mile service at the local service folks and they stated that the valves would need to be examined/adjusted. It was my understanding the valves were not looked at until 26.5K miles. So I am a bit puzzled by the requirement stated by said local service dealer. I started poking around on the web- service intervals seem to be stated as X miles or X years (which ever comes first). Based on this, the valves would be done at ~3.25 years, which since my bike is a 2008, I have hit this time point. But, it does not make sense to me to do the valves based on time.

Anyway...

What it the 1st valve adjustment interval?

Does time come into play, if you have not hit the specified miles?

Grazi Mates. Mucho appreciated.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
The book says 26k, (no time requirement) and most of those result in NO changes needed.

I would round to 25k (or 30k) AND find a new dealer.

I called to request an appointment for the 16,000 mile service at the local service folks and they stated that the valves would need to be examined/adjusted. It was my understanding the valves were not looked at until 26.5K miles.
What dealer? Where? You might think about reviewing that point in the Dealer Feedback thread.

And what online source for time? It seems that's one of the reasons why we've created this area...specific information for things like valve check, service lists, and intervals.

As mentioned above, by rounding it to 25k miles my addled mind has an easier time remembering when to do it.

I also round everything else to multiples of 5k miles (oil changes, etc.) for the same reason. I've got my own checklist that I print out and run down every 5k and you are welcome to have use as you see fit (or not).

Fred W's 5k mile Inspection Checklist

(note that this was designed for my 1st gen, so some things may be different)

As mentioned above, by rounding it to 25k miles my addled mind has an easier time remembering when to do it.
I also round everything else to multiples of 5k miles (oil changes, etc.) for the same reason. I've got my own checklist that I print out and run down every 5k and you are welcome to have use as you see fit (or not).

Fred W's 5k mile Inspection Checklist

(note that this was designed for my 1st gen, so some things may be different)
Nice! I like checklists. Thanks!

Just to be different I had my valves checked at 40K and technically they were fine, but 4 exhausts were a smidge tight so they were adjusted to midrange spec. All was good.........but YMMV.......I just watched the idle and starting characteristics for any anomilies.........bike was still running fine but just couldn't handle going past 40K without a look............

With the results I've seen here about valves that actually needed adjustments after a check, I've decided to round mine to 30,000 miles for the check. I had my first valve check at 28,500. No adjustment needed.

GP

As stated above 26k miles. Mine has been checked 4 times and has never needed adjustment. Ditch that dealer.
So you are saying that in over 100,000 mi., the valves have stayed in spec? That is amazing if that's the case.
omg2.gif

So you are saying that in over 100,000 mi., the valves have stayed in spec? That is amazing if that's the case.
omg2.gif
My first FJR are still in spec after the last check at about 120,000. Other FJR two valves out by one disc at 60K. It varies a bit, but FJR is pretty good about valves.

omg2.gif
My first FJR are still in spec after the last check at about 120,000. Other FJR two valves out by one disc at 60K. It varies a bit, but FJR is pretty good about valves.
Curious Ignacio, how would you describe your riding on a general basis?

Are you usually an agressive rider? Heavy on the throttle a lot?

Or....generally stick to the speed limits and just cruise?

Usually the harder you ride the sooner the valves need an adjusting, note I said "usually" but it's not always the case depending on the bike.

I started a poll about this a long time ago. The data is pretty enlightening.

It's been moved here to the FAQs and Common Historical Info section

FWIW - I don't think that you can make any generalizations about why some engines need more or less adjusting of the valves, just that they do tend to stay in spec pretty well. I have found the same is true of my VFR and my V-strom. Probably many (most?) other modern motorcycle valves are the same way.

I just did my second valve check at 85,000 miles (I KNOW its too long an interval). As with the first check at 50,000 miles, all valves are still within spec. Four intake valves are at the minimum while all exhaust valves are close to the middle. These are almost exactly as they were 35,000 miles ago. As Fred mentions, these don't seem to change very much or very quickly. I am going to wait until next winter before I do them again (another 25-30K, if the weather is good this year). I expect I will change the four intake shims at that time.

Thanks for the comments. I kind of new that the dealer must be wrong. My appt to take the bike in is next Tuesday. So I called the dealer yesterday and said, the manual says to do the valves at 26,000 not at 16,000 as I was told on the phone when I made the appt. The gentleman said, um ok. So I said I don't want the valves done and I asked what the difference in price was between what he quoted me originally (4 hours @ $99/hour + parts) that included the valve check and the real 16,000 service (w/o the valve check) and he said let me go check the book. He gets back on the phone and says 3.5 hours. Ok, really... only a half hour diff if you don't include the valves? The 16K service primarily includes:

1. spark plug repacement
  2. repack swing arm pivots bearings
  3. repack steering bearings
  4. change coolant
  5. final gear oil change
So, yes, this seems like it could be 3.5 hours. Maybe the valve check time, incrementally, was not much more since you're 'in there anyway'.

My conversations with the dealer have been fine, but the fact they originally said the valves need to be looked at made me a bit puzzled. There could have been some miscommunication on the phone when I called in for the orignal appt. Maybe they thought I said 26,000 mile service instead of 16,000.

Anyway, does 3.5 hours for a 16,000 mile service seem ok?

Grazi

I would wait to change the coolant when you do the valve check (because it has to be drained to remove the valve cover), skip the repacking because it isn't necessary, and change the spark plugs and final gear oil myself.....which would probably take me about an hour.