Delkevic exhaust?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You install them yet? People waiting for a video, you know!

Sorry no video but they look/sound great, look just like the above pic!!

The center stand stop is a little off from where it should be and you have to play with the position a little but I got it to work ok.

Only thing is it won't let the center stand retract fully........hangs down about 2 inches from fully retracted.

Shouldn't be a problem though still plenty of clearence.
Be careful SoCalFJR1300, if your centerstand is 2" lower you'll be dragging it when leaned over in the corners.
I don't think I lean over that much....still have about 1/4" of chicken strips on the rear.

You install them yet? People waiting for a video, you know!

Sorry no video but they look/sound great, look just like the above pic!!

The center stand stop is a little off from where it should be and you have to play with the position a little but I got it to work ok.

Only thing is it won't let the center stand retract fully........hangs down about 2 inches from fully retracted.

Could you post some pics? Sound byte?
Nope sorry.

Nice throaty deeper sound but NOT too loud...sounds much better than the sewing machine stock cans.

I will have to wait to see how they sound as I took delivery today & not only did I receive but one silencer, but it was the wrong type... a shorty oval unit.

(there goes my long weekend of wrenching + road testing + video)

"CRAP!"

Well this is the reason I wont consider this exhaust. The pegs already drag way to easy. I got to call GP to get the suspension done next.

I will have to wait to see how they sound as I took delivery today & not only did I receive but one silencer, but it was the wrong type... a shorty oval unit.

"CRAP!"
OOPS. Not a good start. What did the Delkevic Dist. have to say about their screw-up? Maybe they thought your FJR is a 4 into 1 stunter.

Well this is the reason I wont consider this exhaust. The pegs already drag way to easy. I got to call GP to get the suspension done next.
Leaned it over pretty good yesterday (only about an 1/8 of an inch of chicken strip left) and NO dragging of the centerstand so that's not an issue, for me anyway.

"CRAP!"
~UPDATE~

...having only one pipe with the other expect next week, I thought I would go ahead & install it.

I discovered that the bolt holding the stock can to the pipe hanger can be reused with the Delkevic unit, but a trip to the hardware store is necessary as the nut is a captive unit & part of the stock muffler. (I picked up washers during the trip as well as a tube of hi-temp silicone sealant.)

I discovered that the stock gaskets are Graphite & cannot be reused ($$$), so I make a trip to the local Yammer-hammer dealer in the next town over.

(Now the fun began)

All the old parts removed & the new parts installed, I step back to admire the new Delkevic unit & note that the angle of the oval can is sort of "off-kilter". I would prefer that the axis of the oval parallel the the upright bike axis!

I loosen all the joints & move things around until satisfied ... I stand back to admire my new pipe...

"The off-kilter angle makes its nasty re-appearance once again! CRAP!"

Dis-assembly time again, and to add some excitement to this phase, the El Cheapo band clamp gave up the ghost on me as the bolt seized in the nut tightly enough to snap the bolt, rendering the thing useless.

I examined the band that holds the can to the stock mount & noted that the band mounting tabs are bent at a 10 degree angle, thus no matter how perpendicular the can is hung, once tightened to the hanger, the can assumes the angle of the supporting hanger.

I re-angled the hanger mounting tabs... story will continue when I locate another stainless steel band clamp.

"CRAP!"
~UPDATE~

...having only one pipe with the other expect next week, I thought I would go ahead & install it.

I discovered that the bolt holding the stock can to the pipe hanger can be reused with the Delkevic unit, but a trip to the hardware store is necessary as the nut is a captive unit & part of the stock muffler. (I picked up washers during the trip as well as a tube of hi-temp silicone sealant.)

I discovered that the stock gaskets are Graphite & cannot be reused ($$$), so I make a trip to the local Yammer-hammer dealer in the next town over.

(Now the fun began)

All the old parts removed & the new parts installed, I step back to admire the new Delkevic unit & note that the angle of the oval can is sort of "off-kilter". I would prefer that the axis of the oval parallel the the upright bike axis!

I loosen all the joints & move things around until satisfied ... I stand back to admire my new pipe...

"The off-kilter angle makes its nasty re-appearance once again! CRAP!"

Dis-assembly time again, and to add some excitement to this phase, the El Cheapo band clamp gave up the ghost on me as the bolt seized in the nut tightly enough to snap the bolt, rendering the thing useless.

I examined the band that holds the can to the stock mount & noted that the band mounting tabs are bent at a 10 degree angle, thus no matter how perpendicular the can is hung, once tightened to the hanger, the can assumes the angle of the supporting hanger.

I re-angled the hanger mounting tabs... story will continue when I locate another stainless steel band clamp.
I just got some needle nose pliers and bent the holding bracket of the stock pipe bolt (for the hanger) and pulled the bolt out, the metal bends very easy.

My cans were angled funky too when I tightened everything up, but I just loosened the clamps and turned them by hand, not a problem.

Already done, not a problem.

Once I locate a new stainless clamp band, I will add a bit of anti-seize compound on the threads before I tackle the reassembly once again.

(It was fun the first time I installed them, now I am looking inept.)
crazy.gif

btw, close fit to the panniers, huh!

Last edited by a moderator:
UDATE:

I called the nice people at Delkevic who once I pointed out to them that my online order number did not match the order of which was sent, agreed to mail me out the pipe for the other side.

Less than a week later, the pipe arrived as promised... except-

..the nice people there sent me another pipe for the right side... should work except the pipes have a bend difference between the right & left hand sides.

The pipe I required was the one with the center stand stop... part labels show the same part number was sent.

I emailed them & included a screen-grab from their site showing the complete kit, valuable as it shows the two pipes and one can easily see the difference.

The are now not sure what the problem is, and they want me to email them pictures of the issue.

I am not sure that someone with the name of "Jeannie", speaking with a heavy mid-eastern accent is going to be of much use examining a handful of pix I send.

~Stay tuned folks~

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I know they will make good, it is just all the wasted water under the bridge in the meantime.

You figure that at least two weeks has been lost awaiting shipping.

Could be worse... they could be coming from China!

Sorry to hear all the problems with Delkevic, I had mine on in less then an hour and managed to reuse the old gasket ,sleeve what ever it's called. Ive had a run of bad luck, but not with the dekevics.

Wow, $345 for a pair, is really cheap, hope they're not junk. I paid around $680 for a set of Blueflame Oval SS cans about 6 years ago, which have now done around 180k miles (on two FJRs) and are still working great, with no repacking required.I just bought a pair of D&D mufflers, and I think they sound great for $479 total. Maybe I still like the noise from riding crusier's.

Latest posts