DIY valve clearance check/adjust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. Now I am a little confused.

From the manual I understand I can measure both the intake and exhaust valves of the same cylinder at the same time. Maybe I misunderstood.

Not so from the article: "Each time you rotate the engine, you can measure one set of intake valves and one set of exhaust valves (from a different cylinder)."

This will probably become clear once I open her up :)

Hmmm. Now I am a little confused.
From the manual I understand I can measure both the intake and exhaust valves of the same cylinder at the same time. Maybe I misunderstood.

Not so from the article: "Each time you rotate the engine, you can measure one set of intake valves and one set of exhaust valves (from a different cylinder)."

This will probably become clear once I open her up
smile.png
That statement is incorrect. You do measure both Intake and Exhausts at the same crank position. Which is when the cams look like this:

valvecheckposition.jpg

Well I think everything came apart and went back together OK.

All were within spec except for the very last one. The one exhaust on #4 did not meet the minimum spec of 0.18mm. The 0.15mm went in fine. But there was no way that I was going to pull it all apart just for that.

The bike is at 42k miles, so I will probably do it again in the not too distant future and hopefully I will have experienced help to replace the shim(s).

The PAIR block-off plates are also installed and the new spark plugs are in.

Tomorrow I will put the gas tank back and do the TBS. Hopefully no leaks anywhere :)

Thanks again for all the help and advice! Much appreciated.

Handy worksheet for valve shim sizing https://home.comcast.net/~FJR-NERDS/Files/Valve_Clearances_rev1.xls copy link into your browser, open the location, and save the spreadsheet somewhere handy, I usually put stuff on the desktop until I decide whether to keep it or not.
originally by Billy Yamafitter, also referenced recently in another valve clearance/adjustment thread that I can't find at the moment.
Looking for this worksheet, link is no longer active. Any suggestions??

Woo - Hoo, thanks a bunch!! I am planning on tackling this next month. I now have 45,000 on the girl, 23k since I bought it so this is the first check by me.

Yes. Sorry about that. Comcast decided that, even though we pay them exhorbitant monthly fees for their internet services, MOST PEOPLE didn't really need those home "web page space" (which is what I I used for my FJR-NERDS web space).

If anyone is looking for something in particular, just drop me a line and I'll either send it to you directly or put it up on DropBox for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: