Do I Really Need Motorcycle Boots?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In short, Yes.
Work boots don't provide the protection that a true motorcycle boot does.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five-evo-gore-tex-boots

try something like this, not too outlandish, great protection and goretex too.
I have the TCX's and I love them...in fact, I'm wearing them in the office as I type this. In the photo are also my old Oxtar Matrix boots (also Gore-Tex and no longer made), the grandfather of the TCX's. Those Oxtar's are still wearable after 12 years, but one foot started leaking last year. Shin and ankle protection while being akin to bedroom slippers...main reason I stuck with the design over the years.

IMG_4200-XL.jpg

...and what's missing - my right boot...A boot is only as good as it's retention system....
This is one of the most significant things about motorcycle boots. In a large number of motorcycle accidents the foot gear gets ejected off feet, no matter how secure you think your civilian foot gear is attached. It the foot gear isn't on the foot then it's protection is zero.

My last crash I was wearing a pair of Sidis, and I slid down the road on my left side. My left boot had a small hole all the way through right above my ankle. It made it through enough that I can push a finger through, but it didn't get to my foot. That was a pair of Sidis with the additional leather above the ankle. Without that additional leather, I expect I would have had damage to that ankle. As it was, I had no foot damage at all.

In short, Yes.
Work boots don't provide the protection that a true motorcycle boot does.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five-evo-gore-tex-boots

try something like this, not too outlandish, great protection and goretex too.
I have the AirTech version of these, and they are fantastic. Comfortable, lightweight and really cool in the hot Texas summers. I used them on a trip from Texas to W. Virginia (rode it 1 day up) and ran into rain. Feet stayed dry and provided good grip on the wet roads at lights.

My boots have saved me twice my foot, and I have too many friends can more quine walk or bike because they had not put their botte.j'ai a buddy who is actually cutting the tandon achile of last year ...
Driving with real boots should be an obligation, such as helmet, gloves, jacket ...
Both in Germany is mandatory, and if you have an accident without full equipment, then the insurance will not work ...
In France, only the helmet and gloves are obligatoir (for now).

I have 2 pairs of moto boots, web Alpinstars gortex (for 4 years) and Alpinstars great torino gortex. I keep in the feet all day.

In France, only the helmet and gloves are obligatoir (for now)....
Interesting that gloves are compulsory in France. Not so in the UK, only a helmet. I hate seeing riders out without suitable gear.

Isn't a high visibility jacket mandatory but not enforced at the moment? (Or some such Gallic rule
unsure.png
?) I seem to remember that last time I rode in France.

for gloves, it's only since one year, and for the moment, they are no verbalisation from policeman, juste moral lesson.

For the High visibility jacket, it's mandatory to have one on your bike/top case, and it's mandatory to wear it if you stop on the road for any raisons.

vplgilj_gilet_haute_visibilit_.jpg

And for me it's a very good think, I had 2 on my bike since ... always. And I wear it when I stop to help another rider for exemple...

It's mandatory to have 4 reflectives part on you're helmet too. 1 par way.

I think it's a very little constraint to increase security

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear the bates style too. My main focus is keeping me comfortable and dry. Otherwise I won't wear them. These are extremely comfortable. Maybe I'm giving up protection for some comfort, and I'm ok with that.
I haven't found anything near as comfortable in m/c specific. I'll check out some of your suggestions next time around, but right now I'm happy with these Tactical style boots. Also, have never had an issue with shoe laces, outside of my feet seem farther away when I bend over every Spring.
Same here. I have two pairs of Bates boots, one for winter, one for summer. They are the only boot I have found so far that will offer wide widths. I have been looking for years for motorycle specifc boot that meets my criteria, so far none has:

1) Wide width available (I'm at least a "D", wider works well too).

2) Side or rear zip entry/exit. Laces are good for establishing initial fit but I want to zip in and out.

3) Breathable. my feet run hot and I need vented boots. My Bates 6" boots (Code 6 side-zip) are okay up to about 90 degrees but are not as good as other boots I've had that are more breathable. I'm okay with Gore-Tex for winter/rain (I have the GX-8 side-zip for winter).

I really don't care about the price, I just need the above attributes. So far no motorcycle boot meets these. The Bates come pretty close and are very reasonable in price.

Dan

I have a pair of Sidi mega way boots. They have about 40,000 miles on them but unfortunately the soles are starting to come off the one boot. Tried to glue it back on without success. Looks like I'm in the market for new boots also. Will either buy another pair of Sidi or TCX. My Sidi has they're version of a waterproof liner. Works well but every glove that I have gotten with Gore-Tex liner make my hands sweat profusely.

I guess I believe that motorcycle specific is the way to go but just because it's the newest innovation doesn't mean it's the best thing on the market. There comes a point where the boot will only be so good and after that it may be a waste of money. Where that point is, will probably be different to everyone. I'm not sure if the $400 boots are twice as good as the $200 boots.

I have a pair of Sidi mega way boots. They have about 40,000 miles on them but unfortunately the soles are starting to come off the one boot.
Try to contact Sidi or one of their dealers about them, it's possible they may get fixed relatively cheap and serve another 40,000 miles.

I usually wear these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2CE2EI/ref=twister_B00PW840TM

or these: https://redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/435-red-wing-shoes/435-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown.

It's usually the former, but the latter are waterproof. I don't think I do quite the long journeys some here do.

I am becoming convinced that it is time for more suitable riding boots, though. Stories of snapped ankles, bashed ankles, and God that tennis shoe pic.

I've been balancing function through the day with function for ride, and the first pair do me well, I think, on my short commute downtown mostly lane splitting through slow traffic. I think I ought to invest in a pair for the canyon runs and any touring I do, though.

I know I must(and want to) wear protective gear on my feet. My problem is that lots of the boots I see for sale seem to be dolled up leather work boots. The main difference I see are chrome buckles and black shoe polish. Other than the Darth Vader style(don't really care for them), what good choices do I have? Anybody just wear a quality pair of Wolverines or Georgia boots?
Yes!

Motos have been mah main source of transportation since 1975, 'n I ain't never worn moto specific boots. ('Cept fer ride'in dirt bikes.)

Dun got me quadruple E wide feets, so I mostly wear Redwings or Wolverines. Sure they ain't the best protection, butt, I've had me a few get offs over the years, and they've protected me 'nuff.

Not the popular choice but after going through a few pair of motorcycle specific boots, I wear a pair of high ankle, waterproof, hiking boots, and have done so for about 100k motorcycle miles. I just have not been able to find a motorcycle boot that is also comfortable to hike around in on a ride, and I have been on multiday rides where carry two pairs of boots wasn’t practical. So I risk it. The hiking boots provide some protect, but are functional off the bike.

These days I don’t do nearly as many overnight trips, and I haven’t been motorcycle camping in a few years, I should consider a higher quality motorcycle boot, but I also have kids now and I am not exactly flush with cash. So it will be high ankle hiking boots for a little while longer.

Oh.... I also still wear chaps as well... I know I should get a quality pair of motorcycle pants, but I have gained and loss more weight than Oprah, often to the tune of 70 pound swings. I haven't found a pair of motorcycle pants that can accommodate those weight swings, chaps on the other hand can...

Now if I go down, well, watch out for the grease spot.

I have trouble finding boots to try on around here. Most places seem to have a stack of 5-6 pairs of assorted brands, and none in my size.

And most online places dont seem to do free returns on boots.

I have trouble finding boots to try on around here. Most places seem to have a stack of 5-6 pairs of assorted brands, and none in my size.
And most online places dont seem to do free returns on boots.
My local Kawasaki shop will order gear for me and I try it on at the shop. The first pair of boots they got me were too small, and I returned them for a larger size. And they had a little problem fitting me for a jacket once, but we didn't give up and found something that'd work. Apparently, the distributor they use is willing to work with them.

Prices have always been competitive with online sources.

Got talking to a fellow motorcyclist who was hit by a deer at 30 mph. When he went down his foot got caught under the bike sliding down the road and it wore down the outside part of his ankle bone. He said he was wearing the Harley brand slip on boots, basically just leather between the skin and road and the leather didn't last very long. That got me thinking so I started shopping with protection being number one on the list. Ended up going with Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex. They're expensive, they squeak, comfortable, top shelf protection, soles & buckles can be replaced if needed and I no longer have rain booties taking up space in my cases. In addition to ankle protection keep in mind foot pegs coming in contact with your shin or achillies can cause a lot of damage, these boots have that covered as well.

Edit: Reading the post below reminded me of one other thing. Because the boots are more heavy duty than what I had before (plain shoes) I had to adjust the shifting lever a bit and change how I shift a little. Reasonable compromise, to me at least, for the protection I gained.

Possibly depending on the size or your feet, I have found that street oriented motorcycle boots (not the Harley biker style) tend to be thinner top to bottom. In my experience this makes working the gear shifter much easier and faster. A big thick boot (like a hiking boot) needs more room under the shifter and means you have to move your foot more to transfer it further above the shifter.

I strongly prefer MC specific boots.