Do I Really Need Motorcycle Boots?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compromises, compromises. Our lives are full of 'em. Life is all about the choices we make.

Do you want the best possible protection?

Or is comfort a big factor for you?

Or do you really want to act like a woman and buy your shoes for how they look? :nono:

The best possible protection would come from some sort of a very high on the leg, probably off-road oriented, MX type of boot with shin and ankle protection and a very stiff cleated sole. It would be stiff, so not great for walking around in, but worth its weight in gold on the one day that you decide to go pavement surfing.

On the other end of the spectrum are the "work boots" that feel like slippers even when new, look like all of the other bro's in da' hood, but won't do much more than a good pair of tennis shoes when the assfault gets real intimate.

For street riding and touring, I've gone through a few different pairs of boots, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better compromise in the category than one of the Gore-Tex lined touring boots from TCX (was Oxtar). Good stuff, good protection, not butt ugly, and relatively comfy even in the heat. There is a whole line-up available, including some "Air" models that look really promising for those oppressed with heat in the mid summer months

For dual sporting on the Man-Strom I've settled on some Gaerne G-Adventures, which are a high-on-the-shin, pseudo MX style of waterproof Adventure riding boot, but more comfy than most real MX boots (plus waterproof!). You do end up whacking your lower extremities off immovable objects a bit more frequently off tarmac, so the shift to protection over comfort in the compromise at that point makes some sense. I do know a few folks that wear these boots (or their ilk) for their street rides.

The choice in these compromises (as always) is up to you. And that makes it right

My current boots are by Aerostitch. The Combat lites made by Sidi. They're a bit pricey but from everything I've read they'll last and last. They are a bit stiff out of the box. I wore them around for two weeks and now they are very comfy. The lites are above the calf and the non-lites are up to the knee. All laces are kept inside the Velcro flap. You might give them a look on the Aerostitch site.

When I started riding in 2011 I figured I'd just wear my hiking boots and that those would provide adequate protection. When I hit a deer and went down at 50mph, they disintegrated. I couldn't believe my foot escaped unscathed with how much the boots were destroyed. Nothing left keeping it on my foot even. Got lucky, and bought a pair of motorcycle boots.

Bought a pair of Joe Rocket Meteors the other day. About 110 bucks. Cheap boots, but they seem decent. We'll see how they hold up.

I wish I had been wearing motorcycle boots and not hiking boots.

13260074_10154224010899628_3114731482290479898_n.jpg

riding 30 years.

all types of machines

3 crashes

ATAG

I also work in a trauma center/trauma ER.

I get to see what complex foot trauma looks like way too often.

I get to see what purpose built moto boots can do to reduce their severity.

Google motorcycle foot injury... this is real stuff.

I buy the best boots i can afford.

they last a very long time calculated per year, they are a bargain.

Currently in the Sidi On Road GoreTex and love them.

not too hot. very comfortable when cold

easy to walk in and all day comfort once broken in.

and can easily go from the bike to the office if needed

Spendy, you bet.

worth every penny, particularly if you need them.

kinda like a helmet... you hope you never need it, but when you do, you really need it alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to just wear sneakers but finally bought motorcycle boots. Went with TCX and been wearing for a few years now. Seems like good bang for the buck. Very comfortable to wear while riding.

riding 30 years.all types of machines

3 crashes

ATAG

I also work in a trauma center/trauma ER.

I get to see what complex foot trauma looks like way too often.

I get to see what purpose built moto boots can do to reduce their severity.

Google motorcycle foot injury... this is real stuff.

I buy the best boots i can afford.

they last a very long time calculated per year, they are a bargain.

Currently in the Sidi On Road GoreTex and love them.

not too hot. very comfortable when cold

easy to walk in and all day comfort once broken in.

and can easily go from the bike to the office if needed

Spendy, you bet.

worth every penny, particularly if you need them.

kinda like a helmet... you hope you never need it, but when you do, you really need it alot.
Great post!

However I will add...not only do you need mcy boots...you need WHITE boots like Uncle Hud!

Ive always used my leather work boots but picked up some dainese nighthawks a few days ago. Nice boots but every pair ive ever tried has been stiff and uncomfortable. Im going to give the night hawks a few months of steady use to see if they will break in. I got a great deal on them so cant complain. The main reason I got them was the gortex.