Drivers Back Rest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Q

Reaction score
On my last trip I liked my bag as a backrest so much I decided I needed a more permanent one. So I searched eBay for various back rests and found one for a Honda VYX that looked like it would work. $26 plus shipping. Arrived cut it up and installed it.

7cb7c639.jpg

Had to use only two mounting holes so it would be high enough. Cut out the center of the bracket so rear seat could lock in...needs prettying up still...

e7990e24.jpg

I was thinking about doing something like this and actually have a generic backrest I pick up off Ebay for $20. The thing I'm struggling with is how to make mounting bracket to enable the back seat to still fit. If I'm not mistaken, the rear seat "overhangs" the back of teh front seat a bit, which make fitting a bracket in there a little tricky.

Does the bracket push the back seat towards the back of the bike? Looks like it might be putting a lot of pressure on the front edge of the rear seat.

Can you post pics of the bracket from the side?

Looks good. Thanks.

On my last trip I liked my bag as a backrest so much I decided I needed a more permanent one. So I searched eBay for various back rests and found one for a Honda VYX that looked like it would work. $26 plus shipping. Arrived cut it up and installed it.
7cb7c639.jpg

Had to use only two mounting holes so it would be high enough. Cut out the center of the bracket so rear seat could lock in...needs prettying up still...

e7990e24.jpg
Nice set up. Hey is that the Sears/JCW trunk?? Just got one and about to fab up a mounting plate and I'm curious as to how you did yours. :huh:

Stock seat pan, Rick Mayor seat. The stock seat foam has more of a lip but it should compress around the bracket cause there is no hard plastic there.

My front seat is also in the upper or high position, also my AVCC is under the driver seat so I didnt care if it was easily removable anymore

Trunk is off eBay and I mounted the bracket that came with it to the factory luggage rack. Not scare to drill holes LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. If you ever take the bracket out for some reason, can you post a picture of just the bracket?

Still trying to work out the best angles for not compressing the seats when it's in place.

I'm trying to work out a bracket that attaches to the base of the front or rear seat that won't interfere with removal of the seats. That way, the backrest will stay attached to the seat when it's removed. I'd rather not attach it to the frame or anything under the seat, since it would be just one more thing to have to remove to work under there.

Need to find someone with a sheet metal bender.

I figured a couple 10 MM screws and it comes right off no biggie...I thought about mounting it to the seat but screwing into plastic is not so strong and I did not want to take my custom seat apart....The bracket is pretty much a 90 degree with a slow bent, eBay....all I did was chop out the middle.

I figured a couple 10 MM screws and it comes right off no biggie...I thought about mounting it to the seat but screwing into plastic is not so strong and I did not want to take my custom seat apart....The bracket is pretty much a 90 degree with a slow bent, eBay....all I did was chop out the middle.
Can you post the ebay item number so we can all look for the same one you found?

Thanks.

You're right about screwing into the plastic seat pan not working well. I would either install threaded metal inserts or a metal plate under the foam on top of the plastic.