ear buds or in helmet bluetooth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earbuds just pull out when taking helmet off.

sena 20s works very well.

I had much trepidation using earplugs with them, but after looking at the hearing loss potential, I started using earplugs with the Sena 20s.

No sound loss in listening to music.

Walmart has some good earplugs.

I think the general consensus is that no single solution works for everyone. Kinda like what seat is the most comfortable or what's the best helmet/oil/filter/air cleaner/wind screen.

I had to work through quite a few set ups until I found what works best for me.

The other good thing with the Shure earbuds they wrap around your ear, I haven't had any issue with them coming out putting my helmet on.

Hearing noise thru the wire, I understand what you mean. If you tap on the wire for example you hear it as if someone is tapping directly on the earbud. The only time I hear something like that is when I'm off the bike moving around and turning my head more than when I'm riding, if that was the case when riding that would get old quick. I can see this happening if your riding gear flaps in the wind, fortunately my gear has a bit of a snug fit and doesn't flap around in the breeze. I also pull the wires up a couple inches once my coat is zipped up to avoid any pulling of the wires when turning my head, that has worked great for me, no noise traveling thru the cable.

I don't have any foam over the Sena speakers because it irritated my ears, so there has been a few times when the speaker would rattle against the earbud. Because of that I've had to move the speakers further away from my ears.

About the only draw back I see with earbuds is the water resistance of the Sena. So when it rains I will unplug my earbuds and put the rubber cover in to place to try to prevent the Sena from going in to automatic shut down when it gets too wet. Sometimes not losing turn by turn directions is more important than music sound quality.

My earbuds do the same thing. They wrap over the top of the ear. Between that and the cheek pads of the helmet keeping them still, I don't get any noise transmitted up the cord from movement.

I much prefer the speakers of my Sena 30K to earbuds. I find the pressure of earbuds can be annoying after a while. I'm using a Shoei Gt-Air helmet. Fairly snug but it does have a recessed spot for speakers so they sit just touching my ears.

I guess I should clarify - the sound from the cord is only (very) bothersome on my buds when not on the bike. I wore a pair of Shure SE215s for awhile under the helmet and never had much of an issue with them. They too wrap over the ear tops and also have a thicker (more insulated?) cord which probably helps however when wearing them around the house, and just like the few other pairs I have, any movement causing the cord to rub makes them all almost unusable. I want to like them but . . . . Maybe the Android version of Air Buds might be the answer.

I use ear peace filters and Sena Speakers and can hardly hear the music and when over 70 fughetaboutit!

My wife is happy with the Sena speakers. Do you know if I get the S plugs and plug them in can I still share music with my wife via BT?

JP

To my fellow serious riders. If youre totally happy with what youre using, congratulations, youve solved one of the biggest irritants of enjoying the riding experience ie god awful, mind numbing helmet noise!

Im going to go out on a limb here to unequivocally state that the absolute best noise suppression possible is within your grasp. I know, different strokes etc. Im 68, fairly intelligent and I get all that. But seriously, there is nothing out there better than Bose Noise Cancelling Ear Buds!! But you gotta work for it!

First of all, if you just try them they may irritate your ear. They may be uncomfortable, fall out, not seal right or be a pia to fool with taking your helmet in and off. All true but all fixable! Most of us have worked out the windshield, seat, bars, etc to get the most comfortable riding experience. These earbuds are the chocolate icing on the cake. Ive had to work to make them practical to use. If you can do this you will be greatly rewarded. Heres what Ive to be able to thoroughly enjoy the noise cancelling experience.

Buy the earbuds. $230.00 so now youre committed. Choose the right size insert for your ear canal, it comes with 3.

Get your helmet on over the buds without dragging them out of your ears. For this you need a light weight helmet liner to go over your ears and buds. Now the helmet slides over the buds and your hair stays nice.

After a few hours your ears hurt. 2 causes- wrong size bud tips or more likely the foam around the ear pockets is pressing the outer protruding mechanism of the bud. A foamectomy will likely be needed to enlarge the ear opening at the lower edges. Problem solved.

They fall out when you take off helmet and are a pia to fool with. True but youll get the hang of it like anything else if its worthwhile.

They work with a headphone jack. Plug into phone or Cardo or whatever. Enjoy the experience. No mechanical noise from the bike, wind noise is a faint whisper, music and phone are like sitting in your favorite chair at home. My favorite chair is the seat on my bike and these buds make it so. They have made all the difference in how I experience motorcycling.

To my fellow serious riders. If youre totally happy with what youre using, congratulations, youve solved one of the biggest irritants of enjoying the riding experience ie god awful, mind numbing helmet noise!

Im going to go out on a limb here to unequivocally state that the absolute best noise suppression possible is within your grasp. I know, different strokes etc. Im 68, fairly intelligent and I get all that. But seriously, there is nothing out there better than Bose Noise Cancelling Ear Buds!! But you gotta work for it!

First of all, if you just try them they may irritate your ear. They may be uncomfortable, fall out, not seal right or be a pia to fool with taking your helmet in and off. All true but all fixable! Most of us have worked out the windshield, seat, bars, etc to get the most comfortable riding experience. These earbuds are the chocolate icing on the cake. Ive had to work to make them practical to use. If you can do this you will be greatly rewarded. Heres what Ive to be able to thoroughly enjoy the noise cancelling experience.

Buy the earbuds. $230.00 so now youre committed. Choose the right size insert for your ear canal, it comes with 3.

Get your helmet on over the buds without dragging them out of your ears. For this you need a light weight helmet liner to go over your ears and buds. Now the helmet slides over the buds and your hair stays nice.

After a few hours your ears hurt. 2 causes- wrong size bud tips or more likely the foam around the ear pockets is pressing the outer protruding mechanism of the bud. A foamectomy will likely be needed to enlarge the ear opening at the lower edges. Problem solved.

They fall out when you take off helmet and are a pia to fool with. True but youll get the hang of it like anything else if its worthwhile.

They work with a headphone jack. Plug into phone or Cardo or whatever. Enjoy the experience. No mechanical noise from the bike, wind noise is a faint whisper, music and phone are like sitting in your favorite chair at home. My favorite chair is the seat on my bike and these buds make it so. They have made all the difference in how I experience motorcycling.

If you need to do all that customizing and fiddling to make a $230 pair of earbuds fit properly and comfortably, then that is far from the right earbuds for a "serious rider". smh.

My Big Ear BE-1C buds are more expensive ($350), but don't require anything at all except inserting them in your ears. Done. Serious Rider® approved. Going on apprx. 9 yrs of use now.

That is all.
bike.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
PhatAir4Me posted, in part: ... I use ear peace filters and Sena Speakers and can hardly hear the music and when over 70 fughetaboutit!
Try moving the Sena speakers around inside your helmet's ear holes. If they are misaligned with your ear canal, even by a few millimeters, they aren't loud at all.

If you need to do all that customizing and fiddling to make a $230 pair of earbuds fit properly and comfortably, then that is far from the right earbuds for a "serious rider". smh.

My Big Ear BE-1C buds are more expensive ($350), but don't require anything at all except inserting them in your ears. Done. Serious Rider® approved. Going on apprx. 9 yrs of use now.

That is all.
bike.gif
+1 for Big Ear's. I've had mine for 15+ years (first a set of BE-1C's with a single transducer and currently a set of BE-2's with dual transducers) and nothing beats a custom molded earspeaker for comfort and a fit that's flush with your ears for easy helmet donning and removal. Good seal, noise reduction, and sound. I also have a pair of their custom molded ear pugs.

Another post on in-helmet bluetooth. Specifically to do with SENA.

After a bit over 2.5 years. My Sena 10U Neotec bluetooth battery is now at 50% capacity of what it used to be when it was new. The battery is not service-able/replace-able, nor is the unit able to be powered by an external battery source - while it is ON.

If you are considering a Sena bluetooth unit - it might serve you well, to pick a unit on which the battery is service-able, or the unit is able to be powered by an external battery bank - while it is in operation.

Most "integrated" Sena units - as in the ones which disappear into the helmet like the Sena 10U (for SHOEI, ARAI, etc) or the Sena SRL (Neotec 2) - do not have service-able batteries. So, after spending $300 on the unit - if your unit's battery craps out 2-3 years later, you are stuck buying a new comm unit. Neither the Sena 10U nor the Sena SRL (AFAIK) is able to be powered by an external power source, while in operation.

Some stick-on Sena units - may have batteries which are service-able. The Sena 10R for example, has an external battery - which is 100% replace-able.

My Neotec is almost 5 years old now. I am going to replace it at the end of this year.

I am looking at the Schuberth C4 Pro - when it comes out end of June, with their integrated SC1 or SC2 comm system. While - the SC1/SC2 are not without complaints, Sena's latest firmware updates seem to have resolved most bluetooth connectivity and sound quality issues (those who complain about bad sound quality or connectivity issues from their Sena units - might want to consider upgrading the firmware).

The best selling point for the SC1/SC2 is a battery, which is separate from the main comm unit - and which integrates into a separate compartment in the helmet for the battery. So, you can carry a spare battery with you - and if after a long day (SC1 advanced offers up to 14 hours/charge, and SC1 standard up to 9 hours/charge) if your battery runs out - you can swap it out with the spare battery. Similarly, after years of use - if your battery capacities degrade, you can buy fresh batteries.

Just my 2 cents.

All this money and jazzy equipment... I've been using my $90 "BeatsX" bluetooth headset under my helmet for the past couple of years and it's been working great. I can get the helmet on/off over them without ripping them out of my ears. They seal nicely to keep out most of the road noise. Combine them with a little $20 bluetooth button on the handlebars for pause/play fwd/rew and vol up/down, and I can listen all day with a minimum of fuss or cash outlay. The only downside is routing the cable down from the left ear to make sure that the volume up/down buttons on the cord don't get squashed when you're looking left to check for traffic.

I went this route. https://www.quietridehelmets.com/

I wish there was a BT option for it but it works pretty well. I got tired of losing the earbuds and my navigation instructions and having to pull over, pull off the helmet and gloves, put the earbuds back in only to have them fall out halfway as I pulled the helmet on again. Drove me crazy...

I prefer a comfy set of foam ear plugs with Sena in helmet speakers. Used ER6i's, but after a few days ear discomfort set in and that was the end of that.
YMMV

~G
I had the same issue with the S-plugs when my custom molded ear monitors went bad. Hurt so bad after 3 days I rode without audio. Couldn't bear to put them in on day 4. Had a new set of monitors made and have been using them with my Packtalk Bold and love the combo.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bhkfjr" data-cid="1418888" data-time="1559484608"><p>

To my fellow serious riders. If youre totally happy with what youre using, congratulations, youve solved one of the biggest irritants of enjoying the riding experience ie god awful, mind numbing helmet noise! <br />

<br />

Im going to go out on a limb here to unequivocally state that the absolute best noise suppression possible is within your grasp. I know, different strokes etc. Im 68, fairly intelligent and I get all that. But seriously, there is nothing out there better than Bose Noise Cancelling Ear Buds!! But you gotta work for it!<br />

<br />

First of all, if you just try them they may irritate your ear. They may be uncomfortable, fall out, not seal right or be a pia to fool with taking your helmet in and off. All true but all fixable! Most of us have worked out the windshield, seat, bars, etc to get the most comfortable riding experience. These earbuds are the chocolate icing on the cake. Ive had to work to make them practical to use. If you can do this you will be greatly rewarded. Heres what Ive to be able to thoroughly enjoy the noise cancelling experience. <br />

<br />

Buy the earbuds. $230.00 so now youre committed. Choose the right size insert for your ear canal, it comes with 3. <br />

<br />

Get your helmet on over the buds without dragging them out of your ears. For this you need a light weight helmet liner to go over your ears and buds. Now the helmet slides over the buds and your hair stays nice. <br />

<br />

After a few hours your ears hurt. 2 causes- wrong size bud tips or more likely the foam around the ear pockets is pressing the outer protruding mechanism of the bud. A foamectomy will likely be needed to enlarge the ear opening at the lower edges. Problem solved. <br />

<br />

They fall out when you take off helmet and are a pia to fool with. True but youll get the hang of it like anything else if its worthwhile. <br />

<br />

They work with a headphone jack. Plug into phone or Cardo or whatever. Enjoy the experience. No mechanical noise from the bike, wind noise is a faint whisper, music and phone are like sitting in your favorite chair at home. My favorite chair is the seat on my bike and these buds make it so. They have made all the difference in how I experience motorcycling.</p>.

I just got these for Father's day. They are amazing at under 65 mph, but above there is a annoying popping noise. Did you have this? If so how did you get rid of it? Thanks

If you're looking for a less expensive option, try EARPEACE earplugs. Comfortable fit, can hear in-helmet speakers, quiets wind noise, interchangeable filter sets for more or less protection. They worked for me on a recent 8-hour trip without pain, and when I misplaced them I contacted EARPEACE and they replaced my earplugs free. earpeace.com

^^^ I wear these now, too, dzane. Plugs come in a slick aluminum tube that attaches to the FJR key ring, so plugs are always available and convenient when mounting up!