Erixun's escapades...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some experience with that, a certain Death Valley trip..

Sorry to hear. Shit happens.

Talk to me about your tankbag.. Happy with it? Do the bars clip into it when fully tuned?

IMG_0094_zps2d73bda2.jpg

dcarver, I am happy with the tank bag, it is big, expandable, has lots of bells and whistles- snap out tool kit (don't use), side pockets, map pocket, gps pocket (zips up for heads up display or like in the pic zips folded into the bag), inside top flap organizer (pens, knife, cash etc), sunglasses holder/zippered pocket, mp3/ipod cell phone holder (Velcro- clear cover), clips to hold the tube of a camel back reservoir, magnetic mount, zip off mount, back pack straps inside, rain cover- etc.

All that being said- yes, unfortunately when turning the handle bars lock to lock the bag can/does hit the bars, not enough to beep the horn or turn off my AE, and it doesn't seem to hit all the time, but I am also cognizant of this fact and so exercise caution when turning in parking lots, and in tight turns and pay attention. I have only noticed the touching when I install the bag and test it out for any binding etc, haven't had any troubles while riding. Still, I wonder if I am I a ticking time bomb sometimes and should downgrade to a smaller bag, but like this bag a lot.

It is good fortune you weren't on the road when the flu hit! When it happened to me it wasn't the flu but something went through me like a flu! We were camping in a KOA in tents. We went out for our days ride and sight seeing when I began to feel unwell, so left the group and went back to lay down. It was hot out and I was shivering. I lay down in my tent and after a while the volcano struck, of course I didn't make it to the washroom, ah what a mess and I still feel embarrassed as I see myself struggling to get to the washroom area! There will be lots of other trip opportunities! Get well, at home!

Sorry to read this thread. I know you must be really disappointed.

But I second Jmfrif's post - I've ridden several hundred miles while pretty sick. It is shear torture and a real test of one's mental fortitude.

This story is long, probably boring to most, and doesn’t have a lot of pictures. But this is my story of my SS1000 that I completed yesterday.

I completed my first SS100 yesterday on May 17th 2014. My wife thought I was insane, and those others that I did tell what I was thinking about doing thought the same thing. I just bought my wife a 2014 Honda CTX700N for mother’s day and she has completed the rider’s course, but is still really new to riding motorcycles and doesn’t get it yet. Most people could not understand why I wanted to do this, and when asked, I would just say ‘because I can’. This would usually just result in a head shake and the end of the conversation. But I wanted to know if I could ride over a thousand miles in a day on my FJR. This intrigued me from when I first heard about it. Back in the early 2000’s I had a FZR, and my brother and I rode from Utah down to Ft Hunter Ligget in California for some training. That was only about 900 miles, and we took three days to do it, and it damn near killed me. They are not kidding when they say sport bikes are not meant for long distances. But I digress… My plan was to leave Farmington Utah and go across Nevada to Reno/Sparks. I know its slab, boring riding, but I figured a nice Interstate with high speed limits would be beneficial and kinder on a newbie to longer distant riding.

I got my FJR ready the day before, packing the cooler and tank bag, and then repacking it, to see what was going to work for me. I had purchased 100% orange juice, apple juice, oranges, apricots, blueberries, energy bars, granola bars, and some dark chocolate for the trip. I had done a search on foods that help keep you alert, and citrus fruits, some kinds of nuts, blueberries and dark chocolate (which I hate) were on the different lists of helping you stay alert. I figured I needed all the help I could get as this was my first attempt at a SS100 and grave yard shift are brutal on me anymore. I read to not eat sugars or caffeine as these have a crash effect after they wear off. (No coffee was just mean and I think unnecessary!) I also did not want to have waste the time going into and standing in a line in a convenience store to get something to eat. And this would give me the freedom to stop where I wanted, if needed. I froze several water bottles in the freezer, figuring I could drink those last when they melted and would keep things cool as well. I placed a small lunch cooler in the tank bag that held the granola and energy bars nicely. Got my MP3 player, camera, wallet and log all set, threw in a long sleeved shirt, rain gear and a couple of extra water bottles in the side bags. I was stoked.

My bike was recently serviced, and I checked the fluids, tires etc. My FJR is the AE model and still has the stock seat, stock windshield, but I have added auxiliary lights, highway pegs and an Airhawk. I have a modular helmet with a sun visor on the inside of the face shield, Tour Master Intake Air Series 3 jacket in high viz yellow, and Venture Air pants. Both have quilted liners and rain liners- I had only put in the quilted liners. Standard light weight gloves, a neck liner if needed, and Bates military safety toe boots.

My plan was to awaken about 0330, pack stuff from the fridge and freezer into the cooler, and head out to the gas station and have the duty ‘graveyard’ car come over and ‘witness’ me off. Well I was way excited and just woke up at 0230 on my own. I had gone to bed way early- about 8pm. I got up, put on my gear, with a liberal sprinkling of Monkey Butt powder and foot powder for good measure. Threw in the items that would fit the best in the coolers, kissed the wife adieu, and I was off, it was 0250. Called the grave yard car, he was on a prowler call in the neighboring city, damn, first delay. I filled out the logs and forms, getting everything ready for him to sign, fired up the GPS tracker, speedometer app on the i-phone and then waited. He showed up a short time later (it was a brother of a neighbor- thank god it was not a burglar- he would have never shown up!) I got him to sign the witness form, we talked for a minute, he called me nuts, and I pumped some fuel. Official start time on receipt- 0317, miles on odometer 5818. I was off!!!

Shit. In my excitement I forgot to take a picture. I also forgot to put in earplugs. Weather was good though- a nice cool 53 degrees, not bad with the quilted liners in, no rain was expected across my route. First stop was Wendover, Nevada, 137 miles. It was dark, (duh) but with almost a full moon still helping out. Can I say I LOVE my auxiliary lights enough? These things are AWESOME! Only problem was having to dim them for other traffic, when I would dim them it seemed to me like I was driving with no lights on at all, they spoiled me. This is where I discovered that I need either a Laminar Lip or a touring windshield on my bike. The wind was blowing pretty good and was loud- (no ear plugs remember?) I put my hand up for some reason and discovered that with my hand in the center of the windshield and about 4” above it, the wind buffeting and noise was drastically reduced. (Did I say I have only owned my FJR for a few months and am new to this touring motorcycle thing?)

Hit a couple of cold spots, around the lake, but otherwise uneventful, temps dropped down into the mid 40’s in spots. I fueled up in Wendover and planned my next stop. I was planning on hitting the Pilot/flying J’s across Nevada as they were spread pretty evenly across the state. So next on the list was Carlin Nevada, (about 130 miles away) there were some cities in between fuel stops that I planned to stop at for a short bathroom break/stretch if needed. I wanted to keep my fuel stops to a short 20 minutes each for fuel, log, bathroom, stretch, snack and drink. I had it all planned out….

After fueling in Wendover, I put in my ear plugs and was off. Holy crap, someone knocked the bottom off of the thermometer! It got cold! I made a command decision to stop and throw on my long sleeved shirt. The thermometer on my bike hit a low of 32 degrees, and the lights for ice were flashing by some bridges, what the hell did I get myself into?!? I entered a mountain pass and there were numerous signs, some with flashing lights about deer crossings. I am no stranger to these as we have these all over in Utah as well. After the big sign with flashing lights, I passed a semi, so I threw the switch for my high beams and auxiliary lights and oh shit, animals! Not deer. ELK. Big ones, standing right off the road. Okay, reduce speed a little bit, move to the center of the roadway, and watch….

Oh, the speeds-just a note if you have never been out here, coming across I-80 to Wendover the speed limit is 80. So you can usually do about 7-9 Mph over without issues. Speed limits in Nevada on I-80 are mostly 75MPH.
I had to a dodge a couple of fresh deer carcasses in that stretch of road and almost got me a vole or some other type of small critter. With it being so cold, I swapped out some of my frozen waters in the cooler with others in my side bags on the next stop, I was afraid they would not defrost and I would not have any water to drink on my stops. That was a mistake that I found out later.

Wells, Nevada. Check, no need to stop, feeling good. Elko, Nevada. Check, no need to stop, still feeling ok. Somewhere along here the sun came up. Hit Carlin, my third stop for fuel and I found out my order of operation was WRONG. I should pull in to the station, get off and go use the restroom FIRST. Then fuel, get receipt and while snacking/drinking fill out the log.

While there a guy pulled up to the pump next to me and asked how I was doing and where I was going. He said he was from the Bay area and he had a sport bike in the back of the truck and a trailer full of house hold goods. I told him I was heading to Reno and back from SLC and had left this morning. “On a day trip?” he asked, and then said I was nuts, and couldn’t believe I was doing that. He said he was driving back from Massachusetts to the Bay area after it did not work out between him and his girlfriend, I told him that trip was nuts. He was a Raiders fan so I guess he is okay. I think I took my first picture here. Lame. On the road….

IMG_0293_zps2e3703f2.jpg

IMG_0292_zpsecac3a65.jpg

Next fuel stop was Winnemucca. Zoomed here with no problems. While fueling up, a couple of ‘Real Bikers’ pulled up- on their Harleys, wearing their three piece back patches on leather vests, you know who I am referring to. I waved, but got no return and a scowl for my troubles. Noted… douchebags. I could go on a soap box rant here, but this is about my ride, so I won’t. I think this is the first stop that I tried some of the dark chocolate I brought along. OMFG… this tasted like dirt out of a rhino’s ass! Not sure what people like about dark chocolate, this was 90% cocoa or cacao, or whatever the hell it was. All I know is that it is nasty. But between the water, 100% orange juice, blueberries, granola bars and this crap- I never did get really mentally fatigued…so maybe there is something to it.

I made a second unscheduled stop at a rest area to use the restroom. (The first was to put on a long sleeved shirt under my jacket after Wendover.) Wow. I guess if the toilet doesn’t flush, you just keep piling it on, and on, and on- it’s someone else’s problem. Nasty. Thankfully it was ‘one’ stop and not a ‘two’… was almost to the ½ way point now.

Outside of Sparks Nevada I was passed by a Harley trike, ridden by a woman, cool. She actually waved, and could handle the trike well. I never got those things for highway use, I rode three wheelers when I was a teenager, and crashed on them my fair share as well. I was hoping that she would get off the same exit as me, and I would ask her to be a witness for me. Not only was I doing an Iron Butt SS1000, I figured on also submitting the same paperwork to Long Distance Riders and getting the Easy Riders (500 miles- 12 hours) and their Full Throttle (1000 miles- 24 hours) certificates with the same ride. Blasphemy, cheating, you say? Don’t care, this is for me. Anyway, I needed a witness for the end of the 500 mile ride, and I made up my own form for a mid-point SS1000 witness, as my ride was an out and back venture. It wasn’t necessary or required in the rules, but I figured this couldn’t hurt. As luck would have it, she got off the exit, and pulled into the gas station I was aiming for! What luck. There were also about 20 other bikes in the lot, I was greeted with smiles and someone asked if I was going to join them. It seems as though there is a group of riders that ride from Sparks to Elko, every year on this weekend to eat at a particular restaurant together. Cool. I told them what I was doing and was told that I was welcome to join them on the ride back to Elko. The nice lady on the trike signed my paperwork for the midpoint and the 500 mile ride. I took a picture at the gas station as proof I had made it, fueled up, choked down a granola bar with juice and water. Receipt, check. Log, check. Hydrated, check. Send position and check i-phone…. shit. I had a tracker on my phone going for my wife, and would send an updated position at each stop to my email. (My wife said after the ride that the live GPS tracker gave her piece of mind. I guess she was way worried about me not making it.) Anyway, it had heated up enough that my phone inside my black tank bag, under clear plastic and being plugged in and the GPS working, had overheated the phone. I was now worried that my wife would see my track stop and she would call out the search and rescue, and the cops would then start looking for me. I unplugged it, opened up the pouch it was in and got on the freeway, hoping the air flow would cool it down. The group of motorcycle riders were still sitting around shooting the breeze in the parking lot; so I just waved and wished them luck.

IMG_0294_zps979fa291.jpg

IMG_0296_zpsf9e735bf.jpg

The third and last unscheduled stop, was just outside of Sparks, at a ‘view’ area. As it was warming up quite a bit, I took out the quilted liners, and called the wife to let her know I was okay and still alive. I took another sorry ass picture. This was a marathon trip, not a sightseeing trip, so I didn’t really photograph anything, sorry. I was making good time, and wanted to keep it up.

IMG_0301_zpsd286945b.jpg

Rode back to Winnemucca, this is where the trip started to get a little monotonous. Already been through this area once before, and was anxious to get home. But I was still having fun, and was not as fatigued as I thought I might be. As I was feeling good so far, I was only stopping at the fuel stops that I had planned out. I had thought in my planning stages that a stock seat with an air hawk on it would be harsh, and by this time I would have to stop every hour or so and massage my butt. Maybe all those years sitting on my ass, was training that I didn’t know I was doing, and was working for me!

I tried to use my MP3 player, I have old ‘ear clip’ headphones in my helmet liner, but with the wind noise, and ear plugs, it was not worth the hassle. I also almost lost the damn thing when it came off the clip and was flying in the wind just by the cord, I reeled it back in and just put it away. My mind was busy enough watching for hazards and dipshit drivers; I was only passed a few times this whole trip, and then followed them from a distance- letting them be my RADAR detector and decoy. Worked well, never did get pulled over. Not that I would ever exceed the speed limit of course.

After Winnemucca and before Carlin is where my trip and my motorcycle history hit a new low. I got pissed on. And not a little light spray from a starling or something. A cow. I got pissed on by a COW! And from the looks and feel from it, a very large cow at that. I do not like riding next to or around semi-trucks. I have seen tires separate and spray fragments two lanes over, and dodged the ‘gators’ they leave behind in the travel lanes. Let alone being pushed over a lane by a swaying third trailer from an un-attentive driver. So I usually hang back until I have a clear shot around them, and then waste no time going by them- staying to the outside of the lane when doing so. In this instance, there were two of those cattle hauler semi-trucks in a row, you know the type, double decker’s, stink to high hell, shit leaking out of the side vent holes. Anyway, a Penske rental truck was passing them, I let the Penske truck get passed them, and then I started to go. Well the Penske truck driver decided she needed to just stay in the fast lane and slow down to mirror the semi-trucks speed. Shit. So now I am stuck next to a cattle trailer…. the Penske truck sees me and speeds up and starts to get over. Cool. I start to speed up, and then it happens. A cow decides to piss out the side of the trailer that I am on. And not just a little bit, projectile gallons quantities. 55 gallon drum quantity. And really?!? A cow that can aim out one of those side vent holes accurately? I move over past the fog line and feel it hit my right leg. Remember I have on those Air Pants- nice. Ever hear the line “It was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock?”- I have new perspective and appreciation for that one. I think those cows were planning that, and laughed all the way to the slaughter house.

Hit Carlin, and found that my fly zipper on my new Tour Master Pants had failed. I am not impressed with their quality. The rest of the trip went without any further notable experiences; towards the end my left knee was giving me fits after an hour or so in the saddle. I love my highway pegs, don’t think I could have done this ride without them. My LED flashing brake lights keep people off my ass, my auxiliary lights work really well at night, and seem to have the added benefit of moving people out of the fast lane when I come up behind them. I reached my destination and got a fuel receipt, official end time of 1914 or 7:14 PM, odometer read 6899. 1081 miles in 15 hrs 57 minutes! I averaged about 67 mph if my calculations are right. I only stopped three times outside of fuel stops, and kept my stops as short as possible. While I don’t think I could do this multiple days in a row yet, I certainly could do it again, and maybe even a little further.

Lessons learned from my first attempt. Juice, blueberries, nasty ass chocolate pieces and nutty granola bars work or at least help. (In my mind at least) I need/want a bigger windshield, better speakers in my helmet, and I think a trip to see Laam or Russell day long for a new seat might be in order. A sixth gear would be nice for lower RPM’s better fuel consumption on longer trips, but I have what I have. Heated grips are the bomb! And I had plenty of time, probably could have stopped more and taken some pictures. I am very pleased with my personal performance, I did not have any close calls, and most importantly did not wreck, I only killed a bunch of bugs and no big four legged creatures. I had my doubts about me being able to complete this run, and now that I have done it, I have some new found confidence in my long distance riding abilities. I also think I could have done a Bun Burner and been okay. A good experience overall. And if you made it through this, thanks for reading.

Cheers, B

Next weekend I am going on a four day trip with a group to southern Utah- and I promise to do a ride report for that trip and actually take some photos.

Congrats on the ss1000. Thx for sharing this story.

I too have been intrigued by this LD riding thing. I have yet to do one, but these stories spark me.

I found this recap of your ss1000 very interesting. Seemed like it was pretty easy for you.

You time was great, lots of very open roads helped Im sure, and high speed limits.

Tell me about this app for iphone gps tracking. My wife would love something like that.

What is it that you used?

It's called phone tracker. The free version updates every 10 minutes, the upgrade ($1.99) updated every minute. I paid for the upgraded version on my phone only, and she installed the free version.

Read the entire thread. Good stuff. Sometimes, peeps on this board forget the wonderfulness of the 'first time'.

I am NOT one of those.

Regarding the cow.. are you now officially known as 'Pee-Catcher'?
smile.png

Oh, Russell seat. Accept no substitute.

Hope to meet you some day -

Nice! Having recently completed our first SS1k last month from NM to IL, I fully understand about the surprising low temps in what is usually very hot areas during the day. Sounds like you planned your ride and rode your plan very well...with the exception of the cow piss!

Congrats and keep on riding!

My Memorial weekend ride was fun, but not quite what I expected. It started with me finishing packing at 7 in the morning, and then meeting the other guys I was riding with about 9 AM. It was a four day trip to southern Utah near Capital Reef National park. I had some of my buddies gear with me as he did not have room on his bike because he was taking his wife as well. We met up and found that three of the eight planned riders had something come up and would not make the ride with us.

IMG_0313_zpse8c2bd44.jpg

Packed up, ready to go.

start_zpsb394fb12.jpg

Getting ready to set out...

We took a picture and off we went, a Victory leading the way, a V-Star next, my FJR, then a Harley and followed up with a BMW. We rode on the highway to Nephi Utah from Farmington, about 100 miles for the first stop. It began to rain on us, so we took a break and had breakfast at a local greasy spoon. The rain kept on for over an hour so we finally got rain gear on and headed south on a two lane highway.

We got to stop at the cemetery where my dad is and I got to pay my respects. The cemetery is very rural and has gravel and dirt roads, the road in was slick and the gravel was deep in the turns of the cemetery, the Harley when making a turn had the tires slip out and he laid the bike down on the crash bars, no discernable damage could be seen on it when we helped him right the beast. (Note to self, I need to get canyon cages soon…) We continued south in the rain to Salina Utah. We stopped again to get out of the rain for a bit and some topped off their tanks.

We then continued to Loa Utah on the two lane highway in the rain and the thermometer dropped to a low of 34. I am glad I have heated grips! We passed a single car rollover crash during this part of the ride. The ambulance had just taken the driver when we passed by. The rain was coming in pretty good, despite the weatherman’s prediction of only a 30% chance of scattered showers. We had a 100% for the last 100 miles and it got pretty cold. Once in Loa we found a covered gas station and got out of the rain for a few minutes, it cleared a little bit and so we pushed to our destination of Torrey Utah just a few more miles.

We got to set up camp without rain so that was good, but it was still pretty cold.

IMG_0329_zpsc357d32c.jpg

IMG_0327_zpsc4b576f8.jpg

IMG_0319_zpsb4f96ab7.jpg

My two man tent I took.

We decided to go to a burger place down the road to get out of the chilly weather and get something to eat, then stopped at a small general store for some liquid refreshments to take back and then back to camp for a small fire, a couple of drinks and some sleep. That first night was pretty chilly.

IMG_0331_zpsa464d3d2.jpg

torrey_zpscf2ca463.jpg

In the morning I got up and made me some coffee with my camp stove and mess kit and waited for the others to finally stir. It was still pretty chilly, so we rode to a small diner and had a greasy spoon breakfast. We decided that the weather was not cooperating too much with our plans so we just rode to Capital Reef National Park and some other close places, only putting another 60 or so miles on the bikes that day. We got hailed on, rained on, and the wind seemed constant, but there were spots of nice clear skies, just with some wind.

IMG_0354_zpsd8087170.jpg

IMG_0395_zps6e41ee51.jpg

IMG_0351_zps988ea8b4.jpg

IMG_0337_zps5f9b6369.jpg

IMG_0425_zps5d5f9e7a.jpg

IMG_0432_zps848e6123.jpg

My buddy’s air mattress went flat that first night, so we set out to find another one. The only one we found was expensive. It was almost identical to the one he had, and had only paid about $30 for it; in this small store they wanted almost 3X that amount! He opted for two foam mattresses instead. His wife was about done with the camping aspect and was looking for hotel rooms at this point- almost two days riding the cold wet weather and then sleeping in tents was not ideal. But the hotels in the area were booked.

Day three- We had breakfast at the same diner and discussed our options for the days ride, we had been looking forward to route 12 that runs from Torrey down towards Bryce Canyon National Park- this is a FUN twisty mountain ride, and goes up over passes that I think are above 10000’. But again the weather was not looking as good as the weather man had suggested so we opted to run up to Goblin Valley State park. It was lower in elevation and normally in the summer it is an oven. Which after the cold windy weather we were in, an oven sounded good. Off we went. Goblin Valley is pretty neat, but the riding is kind of bland. But I was not at work, and riding my motorcycle, so I had a grin on my face anyway!

IMG_0449_zps26ccff04.jpg

IMG_0457_zps8c8fabce.jpg

IMG_0461_zps450bfc1b.jpg

IMG_0465_zps9207c257.jpg

IMG_0566_zps74dcc9e5.jpg

IMG_0588_zps1c22d5a1.jpg

IMG_0589_zps5a45437c.jpg

IMG_0443_zpsfb8d5a09.jpg

IMG_0439_zps1f117d54.jpg

Cool Gas station that is inside the mountain.

IMG_0622_zpse2de3431.jpg

Greasy spoon we stopped at for lunch.

IMG_0434_zps4c742d67.jpg

When we returned to camp the clouds began to gather and my buddies wife said she had enough of tents, waiting in line for the one shower in the campground, and the one bathroom, and found a room. I guess someone canceled. I thought about this and decided I too was done with my tent at that point and wanted to just relax on a bed, with a heater…. So I asked and the hotel they found a room in was full, but they found me another one down the road. Sold. I broke camp, went to the room and then re-packed my gear for the trip home the next day. I slept really good that night.

IMG_0625_zps93dfd5b4.jpg

IMG_0630_zps58f9e08a.jpg

Outside the room- The motorcycles belonged to some other riders.

The next morning I awoke to perfect weather. Clear skies, mild temps. It was early, and we had decided the night before to meet in the morning at a coffee shop at 9:30 AM. I looked at the clock… 0730. Hmmmmm. I think I have time. So I packed the bag on my bike, checked out and then went and rode Route 12. Not all the way, but about 35 miles out, and then back… wow. This road is fun; I saw some deer, an eagle and got to ride my motorcycle like it was meant to. Well almost, I was geared up, and was alone, so I didn’t push anything. These photos were at a view point on route 12....

IMG_0650_zps994f7b33.jpg

IMG_0649_zps0d036fed.jpg

IMG_0647_zps8143b564.jpg

I met up with the guys at the coffee shop and I must have had a ‘Cheshire cat grin’ on my face, because my buddy asked me what I had been up to. I just pointed towards the south and said I had gone on a little ride. He knew. He had told me that several times that weekend he knew I was just aching to get out on a twisty fun road, and the few times we had gotten into short stretches of those types of roads said he felt bad for me having to hold back for the Harley and V-Star. I had fun riding, but I think I am a bit more intense and ‘hard core’ than the guys I went with. They seem to enjoy only riding a 100 miles in a day. While I can agree, if you are sightseeing, but if you are there to ride, then I felt like some more miles were in order. Maybe I need to hook up with some other FJR riders. I didn’t and don’t think I am that good or experienced rider, and my machine is capable of far more than I can handle, but after doing a SS1000 last weekend, this four day ride left me wanting a little more. Am I weird?

The ride home went well, even with the Memorial Day traffic- which was bad. We only had one car try and squeeze in the lane with us once. I would do it again. But I would pack less, take a different tent, and now I know more of what to expect with this group. Overall, it was a thumbs up- better than work! Ride safe- B

For Father’s day I got a kitchen pass from the wife to go riding with a local group of people. We met at a small coffee shop in the morning, had a quick cup and then rode up Weber canyon to Evanston Wyoming about 70 miles away.

IMG_0665_zps7d6d3a72.jpg

IMG_0666_zps1fc0aba2.jpg

I took a short video on a spot where we got caught up on traffic. https://youtu.be/qHNEIn0ZKfA

The weather was a bit chilly and we were chasing storm clouds close enough that some of the roads were wet, but we never did get rained on.We had a greasy spoon breakfast at a mom and pop shop, said good bye to one of the group that had to head back to SLC for some family stuff.

IMG_0667_zpsdbc4b4bb.jpg

After the eats, we headed up Hwy 150 in the Uinta Mountains.

IMG_0672_zps1004fbb1.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsd0930d1f.jpg

IMG_0677_zps0b97bb15.jpg

We stopped at the summit which is about 10,700 feet, not as much snow up there as I would have thought, and the sun warmed up the temps to nice 60 by then.

IMG_0683_zpsff2332bc.jpg

IMG_0687_zpsdda3a281.jpg

IMG_0684_zps2c83f12b.jpg

We then headed down the canyon into Kamas Utah, and stopped for a coke and fuel for those that needed it. We then headed back to the starting point, stopping at a rest area for a few last minutes before we all split up and went our separate ways.

IMG_0688_zps0a624d5f.jpg

It was a nice easy ride for a Sunday.

map_zps157a46d6.jpg

I rode home and did the obligatory grilling of a couple burgers with the wife and son on my new Father’s day gift, a grill what else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit- post no longer pertinent, deleted.

Well my results are back from my first IBA and LDR ride back in May.

I am now a member of both associations.

IBA member number 58424 and LDR member number 575!

The next certified ride is going to be a Coast to Coast.

I updated the URL on my DeLorme and that destroyed the spotwalla feed.
grrr.gif
Did not realize this until after I got home last night... sorry. I think the DeLorme mapshare worked. Anyway, ended up with 1182 miles on the DeLorme tracker in 20 hours 59 minutes. Had a blast. Here is the route I ended up doing, https://goo.gl/maps/801h2

The sites were released at 10PM local time, I had already packed the bike and layed out my gear. After the sites were released, I cut and paste the coordinates for each memorial into google maps and planned my route. I also printed screen shots of each memorial to take with me just in case. Loaded the route into my GPS and headed for the gas station. I chose the route I took over others suggested because of the time of night I was leaving and would be riding.

Start_zpsi9ifpmvl.jpg

From there I rode across I-80 to Wendover Utah. It got interesting to say the least. After passing Lakepoint Utah a warning sign across the freeway warned drivers of 'possible strong cross winds' in the range of 50mph. At times I was leaning the bike like I was going through a tight turn because of the wind, and I had to slow down at times because of the low visibility through the blowing dirt/sand. But I made it.

2015_337_UT1.jpg_zps1s9edlog.jpg

This is the first memorial site I visited, its the tower at the Wendover Airfield. The Enola Gay was here, and many air crews were trained out here. I have also scuba dove in the craters caused by their training, natural warm springs flooded them. But thats another story....

I continued back across I-80, the winds were pretty much gone by then amazingly enough, and this crossing was not near as bad. I chose to go back across I-80 and I-15 because it was mostly slab, I thought it would save time because of the higher speeds and I thought it would lessen my chances of a wildlife encounter. The GPS and google maps wanted me to take a state highway down through Nevada. That route would have been more scenic and probably a lot more funner than the interstate, but I was riding at night and into the wee hours of the morning, so I took the longer, more boring, but in my mind 'safer' route.

The lesser chances with wildlife encounters did not happen though. I ran over a skunk at highway speeds. Scared the crap out of me, but I am sure he did not fare as well as me. The FJR never even gave it a second thought, just a quick blip.

Pulled into Washington City to find the next memorial site.

2015_337_UT7A.jpg_zpsnbxf32eg.jpg

Veterans Memorial, Washington Utah.

Took my pictures, and off I went to the next memorial in Escalante. After getting back on the freeway and riding for a few minutes, something came out of tank bag and flew by my face. I forgot to zip it closed after getting my earplugs out of it at the last stop. Oops. The things that went flying? My roadside assistance card and my Pilot/Flying J gas card.

2015_337_UT6.jpg_zpshktd22vz.jpg

Veterans Memorial in Escalante, Utah

Latest posts