Error Code SH 15 or 16

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donkka1

Reaction score
2009 FJR13AEX©

32000 miles. Came to a stop and the yellow light came on and an SH_16 code on the screen. Didn';t even know the light there was yellow! Gear indicator showed 1st gear, but clutch would not engage. Rolled bike back a few feet to get it out of the way. No change, Turned bike off, and back on, and then was able to shift into neutral, and the code cleared.

Had bike towed to dealer, they couldn't reproduce the error - but I had them replace the TPS. Picked the bike up, and didn't even get out of their parking lot when I got an SH_15 error. Not 100% certain first code as at 15 or 16. But the behavior was identical, so probably 15 both times. Same routine - turn it off, back it up a few feet, and power it back on. Rode the bike home (22 miles of back streets, lots of stops and starts). Got almost home, and the error happened a third time. Same routine - off, back it up, and on again. So it must be a senbsor of some sort, but the Yamaha Dealer clearly has no clue, I don't think he has ever seen an AE model before. I'm hoping someone can give me a clue - as I don't dare drive it.

Since no-one has replied, I'll offer what little help I can.

Both of those error codes refer to the clutch or shift motors, one is a malfunction, the other is unusual current (either too much or too little).

Since it comes and goes, it's either intermittent or marginal.

I'd suggest checking any wiring connections for corrosion in connectors, fraying insulation or something similar.

I realise this is going to be difficult to tie down, but the most likely dealer reaction would be to put in new parts that will be many $$$s, and they won't know if it's cured until it doesn't happen again. Even if it does cure it, the cure might be because they've unplugged connectors and plugged them in, so wiping any corrosion, rather than a fault with the motors (or even the MCU that drives the motors).

In the end, it might be a faulty motor, but failures are rare.

Sorry I can't be any more specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

I'm quit willing to bark my knuckles, but I don't know what connections to check, nor even where they are located! Am I best off buying a repair manual, or can you suggest a diagram somewhere that will give me some guidance?

Best bet is to buy a workshop manual. The Yamaha manual is better at showing where the loom wiring runs than the Haynes one.

Mc, do you know where the motor control unit is on the bike? I just got the SH-16 on my bike. I’m sure I can get to the bottom of this if I can locate the unit itself. TIA

The MU is located under the seats. Very easy to locate!

I got out my compressor, and blew air around all the wires in and around the MU. The disconnected, and reconnected the wires. Goal was to eliminate any static electricity or bad connections. Problem has not happened since then - and its been several hundred miles of stop and go riding.

The MU is located under the seats. Very easy to locate!I got out my compressor, and blew air around all the wires in and around the MU. The disconnected, and reconnected the wires. Goal was to eliminate any static electricity or bad connections. Problem has not happened since then - and its been several hundred miles of stop and go riding.
Thank You, Donkka.