Festar's Assault

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys,

I had a ball with you fellas in Arkansas, great ride and great company.

And thanks for the offers John and Greg.

Today I hooked up with an FJR Forum member John Langdell from Spearfish, South Dakota. He and his wife Jean invited me to stay the night which is super generous of them. John and I took a ride this afternoon to Mt. Rushmore but it was far too foggy and wet to see anything. We also took in Spearfish Canyon which is without doubt the most beautiful place I have ever ridden. We will be doing that again tomorrow only in the dry, I hope. Garry Campbell & Mick Simpson, it is a must do. Also John is the go to man as far as riding in this area goes so do catch up with him when you are here. He also will be working at the Sturgis Rally. Boy we copped some rain today but the riding was still outstanding.

Been following along with you so far, looks like some great riding! The route you did in South Dakota is the same I'll be doing later this week. Enjoy the rest of your time over here.

Todays ride and weather made up for yesterdays crappy weather.

When last seen our Australian Cousin was in Eastern Wyoming headed South on US 85 enroute to the Denver area.

He's a great guy and i encourage all to SHARE A DAY WITH HIM ALONG THE WAY if you can!

Last edited by a moderator:
My original intention when I came to America was to ride from Colorado North via Moab, Yellowstone to Glacier National Park in Montana and return home via Los Angeles.

A week and half in and I have covered over 3500 miles without even getting to my planned starting point and I have had the ride if my life. My hat goes off to BigJohnsd for hosting me and showing me what must be some of the nicest bike roads ever. I just couldn't get the grin off my face as I rode with him today around Spearfish Canyon, Mt. Rushmore and the back roads between.

What makes this adventure so special is the calibre of the folk I have met along the way.

If the first 10 days are an indication, I am in for one hell of a ride.

Thank you America.

Mate, Medical Appt has been moved, will join you about July 2nd for assault on Beartooth etc. Jeanne has blessed trip as far as Sparks. Looking forward to rejoining your Odyssey.

Later.

Rode in great weather today from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Lake City, Colorado. Enjoyed the trip especially south west of Denver all the way to Gunnison but the last 40/50 miles from Gunnison to Lake City is arguably the best bike road ever. I know I said that about Spearfish and the Black Hills of S. Dakota but this road is pure bliss with very little traffic. This trip just keeps getting better.

Festar

Taking a few days off in Lake City Colorado, 4wding in the mountains. Plenty of wildlife I haven't seen before. Back on the bike in a few days.

Festar

I know it's been a while since my last post but I've just had way too much fun.

I left Lake City CO. a few days ago and rode to Durango via Creede and Wolf Creek Pass which was great to say the least.

From there I went through Mesa Verde and via Cortez to Moab and of course had to do the Arches and Canyonlands. There is a very nice loop through the hill behind Moab called lasa Mt Loop/Castle Valley which had some lovely bends and scenery. A totally unplanned part of my trip took me south via Mexican Hat and monument Valley which I found well worth the trip until I got to Page. The scenery down that way is definitely not what I was expecting, anyone who says it is boring simply hasn't been there. I took time out this morning in St George near Hurricane for an oil change. Thanks to the Kawasaki dealer there, Moto Zoo, the Yamaha dealer wasn't interested in helping me out.

I must say I have officially ridden my newest favourite road today. At the suggestion of my good mate from back home, Kevin Wheeler, who actually rode this track about 5 weeks ago. From Hurricane on Utah 9 east through Zion National Park then North onto 89 then west on 14 and north on 148 through Dixie National Forest to Brian Head. Outstanding run with next to no traffic after you exit Zion. I parked for the night in Panguitch. What a fantastic days ride.

Thanks for the trip reporting. It's not easy to take time out during a trip, between traveling, meals, accommodations and meeting folks. It's fun to share your trip, and my country through your eyes.

Holy cow Uncle Festar, how did I miss this thread. Just checked your spot and it looks like you are doing just fine, very impressive route! Southern Utah is awesome indeed, many of us feel the same way about America as you do.

I am 1.5 hours west of Sparks, Nevada near Grass Valley, California and also have room for you to stay before or after the roundup if needed. My garage is open if you need any tools, tires etc. Don't have a tire changer but we can pull them and the local shop will do the tire mounting. Let know and I can order the rubber if needed.

I think you will win the prize for traveling the farthest. OK no prize for that but you will meet more great FJR people. Doug

Doug, thanks for the offer/s.

As it happens I certainly will need rubber by the time I get to Sparks, only hope I can hold out that long. It's so hard to find a bike shop down here let alone one that carries my preferred tyres.

I will let you know as time gets closer and if my tread lasts and might have you arrange a set for me, thanks.

Looking forward to the roundup indeed, but many more miles before that.

Cheers for the support.

I am meeting up with BigJohnSd near Cody and travelling with him to the roundup, scenic route of course.

Until next time

Festar

If you need rubber before California, FJRay in Lapine Oregon (just below Bend) has a tire machine. Ray is the man.

Many a FJR has graced his shop.

GPsuspend7-10062_zps01a3abe5.jpg