Festar's Assault

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go Phaster, festar!
flirt.gif

Arrived at Yellowstone National Park yesterday afternoon after doing a loop through the Grand Teton National Park.

A great ride up there but the traffic in the park is thickening up. I went straight to Old Faithful Lodge to seek some accommodation but unfortunately half of America come here on their summer break so it was fully booked throughout the Park. Another 30 miles saw me out the west exit to West Yellowstone which is outside the park and actually in Montana. This town must have over 50 motels and all super expensive this time of year.

There are heaps of thermal ponds and geysers through the park, I mean heaps and when I went to leave my hotel this morning I found my bike covered in a layer of yellow dust which I guess is sulphur from the air. Set off and covered as much of the park as I could, met heaps of wonderful people, another old lady gave me her card, I don't know why they keep doing that. She also let it slip she's been married 5 times. Saw heaps of Bison right on the roads edge, some elk, snow and people. Traffic is all well behaved and most move over to let you pass. I had to find accommodation for tonight so left the park around 3ish and had a fabulous ride to Cody where I will base myself for a few days. Looking forward to the Chief Joseph Highway next.

I wonder of that was pollen on your bike. At that elevation the pines may be in flower (tons of pollen), we get it real heavy here every spring from the Ponderosa pines.

Sounds like your Feejeer is a chick magnet.

Your going to love Chief Joseph Highway

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder of that was pollen on your bike. At that elevation the pines may be in flower (tons of pollen), we get it real heavy here every spring from the Ponderosa pines.

I'm the chick magnet, not the bike. Give me something to believe in.

I'm the chick magnet, not the bike. Give me something to believe in.
Hate to burst your bubble there mate
no.gif

I"m going with the Bug on this one, the Yellow is Pollen and the bike is the Magnet, though your damn accent may help!

Just had a look at spot. You sure had a rough day, Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth pass - in BOTH directions? Bastard!

There has to be a big grin that won't go away by now.

Just had a look at spot. You sure had a rough day, Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth pass - in BOTH directions? Bastard!
At the rate he is racking up the miles he may be out of tires before he gets here for new ones.

At the rate he is racking up the miles he may be out of tires before he gets here for new ones.
Spot on Ray,

Saturday morning I am going to start limping your way, hopefully the tyres will have arrived by the time I get there. I hope to be in your area Monday sometime, is that OK with you?

Good stuff, Mr. F!

Looking forward to meet you in person at the RoudUp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot on Ray,

Saturday morning I am going to start limping your way, hopefully the tyres will have arrived by the time I get there. I hope to be in your area Monday sometime, is that OK with you?
Should be fine as long as we have tires. I don't know where they were shipped from so check your tracking info.

A few of us have gotten tires in FJRay's neighborhood. Even if the shipped tires don't arrive, the Yamaha dealer Pro Caliber Motorsports, nearby in Bend has some of the best prices I have ever seen, and no sales tax.

What a fantastic trip Festar! keep up the reports...and remember:

worthless.gif

Well made it to Oregon with BigJohnsd hot on my heals.Left Cody bright and early on Saturday morning and headed back int Yellowstone via US 14, 16 & 20. Weather was great until we entered the park and as we rounded the Lake the heavens opened up and the sky turned black. We managed to skirt the worst of it and pulled in at the first opportunity for coffee, breakfast and some souvenirs to send back home to the grand kids.

We then left the park at the west entrance and headed south west into Idaho stopping at Craters of the Moon which for the uneducated is a 50 odd mile lava flow which last ran 2000 years ago.

We finished the day at Hailey/Sun Valley Idaho at the home of a friend of BigJohn's by the name of Kris & Kim. They opened their home to us which was greatly appreciated.

This morning we left Hailey heading through Sawtooth National Forest, stopping for a photo opportunity at Redfish Lake then onto Stanley for a super downhill run to Lowman. One of the best decisions we made was to then take the Lowman to Banks Rd (17)which was a spectacular 20 odd mile descent hugging the canyon wall and kissing the rapids all the way.Just magic with little traffic. The highlight of the day for sure.we pulled up for the day after around 530 mls. Tomorrow hopefully I catchup with FJRay and install some new Pirelli Angel GT's to get me through the next half of this trip.

Well made it to Oregon with BigJohnsd hot on my heals.Left Cody bright and early on Saturday morning and headed back int Yellowstone via US 14, 16 & 20. Weather was great until we entered the park and as we rounded the Lake the heavens opened up and the sky turned black. We managed to skirt the worst of it and pulled in at the first opportunity for coffee, breakfast and some souvenirs to send back home to the grand kids.We then left the park at the west entrance and headed south west into Idaho stopping at Craters of the Moon which for the uneducated is a 50 odd mile lava flow which last ran 2000 years ago.

We finished the day at Hailey/Sun Valley Idaho at the home of a friend of BigJohn's by the name of Kris & Kim. They opened their home to us which was greatly appreciated.

This morning we left Hailey heading through Sawtooth National Forest, stopping for a photo opportunity at Redfish Lake then onto Stanley for a super downhill run to Lowman. One of the best decisions we made was to then take the Lowman to Banks Rd (17)which was a spectacular 20 odd mile descent hugging the canyon wall and kissing the rapids all the way.Just magic with little traffic. The highlight of the day for sure.we pulled up for the day after around 530 mls. Tomorrow hopefully I catchup with FJRay and install some new Pirelli Angel GT's to get me through the next half of this trip.
Big John Approves this message.

Festar is quite a rider, very smooth and fast. He covers lots of ground and when he gets in his rhythm I cannot keep up so I don't try.

If you look at the spotwalla thingy you will frequently see great distances between Dots!

The spot did not skip a beat, Festar was in his rhythm.

Not sure what I'm going to do once he gets tires he trusts.

Probably heading North next up toward Raineer.

Well made it to Oregon with BigJohnsd hot on my heals.Left Cody bright and early on Saturday morning and headed back int Yellowstone via US 14, 16 & 20. Weather was great until we entered the park and as we rounded the Lake the heavens opened up and the sky turned black. We managed to skirt the worst of it and pulled in at the first opportunity for coffee, breakfast and some souvenirs to send back home to the grand kids. We then left the park at the west entrance and headed south west into Idaho stopping at Craters of the Moon which for the uneducated is a 50 odd mile lava flow which last ran 2000 years ago. We finished the day at Hailey/Sun Valley Idaho at the home of a friend of BigJohn's by the name of Kris & Kim. They opened their home to us which was greatly appreciated. This morning we left Hailey heading through Sawtooth National Forest, stopping for a photo opportunity at Redfish Lake then onto Stanley for a super downhill run to Lowman. One of the best decisions we made was to then take the Lowman to Banks Rd (17)which was a spectacular 20 odd mile descent hugging the canyon wall and kissing the rapids all the way.Just magic with little traffic. The highlight of the day for sure.we pulled up for the day after around 530 mls. Tomorrow hopefully I catchup with FJRay and install some new Pirelli Angel GT's to get me through the next half of this trip.
Glad you were able to catch the Lowman to Banks Rd. One of the better roads in Central Idaho.