Festar's Assault

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 1.5 hours west of Sparks, Nevada near Grass Valley, California and also have room for you to stay before or after the roundup if needed. My garage is open if you need any tools, tires etc. Don't have a tire changer but we can pull them and the local shop will do the tire mounting. Let know and I can order the rubber if needed.
P.S. If you have the time, take Doug up on his offer... he and Mrs. Bug are wonderful hosts and have a lovely home! B)

Holy cow Uncle Festar, how did I miss this thread. Just checked your spot and it looks like you are doing just fine, very impressive route! Southern Utah is awesome indeed, many of us feel the same way about America as you do.
I am 1.5 hours west of Sparks, Nevada near Grass Valley, California and also have room for you to stay before or after the roundup if needed. My garage is open if you need any tools, tires etc. Don't have a tire changer but we can pull them and the local shop will do the tire mounting. Let know and I can order the rubber if needed.

I think you will win the prize for traveling the farthest. OK no prize for that but you will meet more great FJR people. Doug
Busy,

If that offer is still on the table mate we would, if all goes well, like to accept your invitation. If you could PM me your number or whatever I could call you as we get closer. Thanks heaps mate. If not, all is good and we will see you in Sparks.

Cheers.

Festar and I are in for the night in Eureka after traveling 388 miles from Florence Oregon to Eureka CA with a detour to the East on CA/OR 199 through Waldo OR, Happy Camp CA and down to Eureka via CA 96 and 299.

It was hot in the hills, saw temps of 109F while waiting for road construction. Rode with a guy on a speed triple after the wait and filtering to the front. Festar and the Triple guy, from Saskatchewan on the way to the Superbike show at Laguna Secs this weekend, took off while yours truly plodded along. Found Festar waiting under a shady spot 20 miles down the canyon. We passed the Speed Triple guy 40 minutes later parked sucking on a water bottle in the heat.

Temp dropped from 104F at Hoopa to 53F at Arcata, the mesh was not enough between Arcata and Eureka, but it was only 7 miles.

Easy day tomorrow, sleep late, laundry, wash the bikes and meander down to Fort Bragg or just a little further South.

John,

Had you originally planned to ride with the Festar or did you just see a ride to good to pass up?

Festar and I are in for the night in Eureka after traveling 388 miles from Florence Oregon to Eureka CA with a detour to the East on CA/OR 199 through Waldo OR, Happy Camp CA and down to Eureka via CA 96 and 299.
It was hot in the hills, saw temps of 109F while waiting for road construction. Rode with a guy on a speed triple after the wait and filtering to the front. Festar and the Triple guy, from Saskatchewan on the way to the Superbike show at Laguna Secs this weekend, took off while yours truly plodded along. Found Festar waiting under a shady spot 20 miles down the canyon. We passed the Speed Triple guy 40 minutes later parked sucking on a water bottle in the heat.

Temp dropped from 104F at Hoopa to 53F at Arcata, the mesh was not enough between Arcata and Eureka, but it was only 7 miles.

Easy day tomorrow, sleep late, laundry, wash the bikes and meander down to Fort Bragg or just a little further South.

Those are some tasty roads but the heat just stays in that canyon. Last time I was in Hoop a it was 100+ and my wife wanted me to help her take the liners out of her jacket and pants. She had been riding that way for awhile.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dcarver" data-cid="1160040" data-time="1404784979"><p>

John,<br />

Saw Festar tracking across I-90 in early June. Invited him to stay for a night or two.

We hit it off, he invited me to join him enroute to Sparks.

Met up with him in Cody a week ago last Friday.

The rest is history.

Live the Ride!

<br />

Had you originally planned to ride with the Festar or did you just see a ride to good to pass up?</p></blockquote>

Festar and I departed Sparks at 0700.

Breakfast in Alturas at 1000.

Ran into Gregory just finishing Breakfast somewhere

Visited FJer Bart in Lakeview OR at 1100. Bart rode north towards Burns with us.

Arrived in Ontario OR via 395 to John Day and then East on US 26 at 1800.

566 miles in 8:41 for a 66 mph average. Not many LEO in eastern Oregon today.

Stopped in some podunk bar for a burger about 1630.

Hot,Hot,Hot 104 between John Day and Ontario OR.

Lolo Pass tomorrow, Glacier Tuesday!

It was awesome meeting you guys out in Sparks!! I'm down at Clearwater Lights getting some much needed illumination now.

Safe Travels!

After a great evening near Helena with Pterodactyl and his beautiful wife Annie, we departed Helena this morning in cool temperatures and rain showers. Rain continued intermittently until Browning MT.

Glacier was crowded. Road to the sun had 30 minute delays beforewe got behind the ass hole in the Ford Escape going 15 MPH stopping frequently to take pictures of rocks and flowers from the sun roof.

After rendering the Escape OBE with a quick duck to the apex on a clear corner we finally could at least go the 35 mph speed limit.

Took over three hours to do the run to the sun.

In Eureka MT tonight after a spirited run with a local Harley up US 93.

He set a good pace for most of the way but as we approached Eureka we schooled the HD on the superior performance of the FJR. A little 4th gear run adequately demonstrating the superiority!

Tomorrow I head back towards Spearfish while Brian heads North into Canada for a few days before heading South, possibly to an FJR gathering in Colorado next weekend.

It has been a great 2 1/2 weeks but the stock seat, even with the airhawk, has really rubbed my ass raw.

Tomorrow

After near three weeks of togetherness Brian and I separated along the shore of Lake Koocanusa this morning.

Brian headed North into the Canadian Rockies and I headed South and East towards Spearfish.

My Ass gave out in Big Timber MT after nearly 500 miles.

Great dinner in the Grand Hotel, an Irish Whiskey, a glass of Malbec and two glasses of Port later; what ass?

Should be home at noon tomorrow.

Brian should show up around July 28th ready to experience Sturgis from inside the trenches.

What a trip, what a "Mate"! I can't think of anyone I'd rather ride with,easygoing, funny and tolerant of all my idiosyncrasies and faults. A great guy!

Thanks for inviting me to be part of your adventure Brian.

John

After near three weeks of togetherness Brian and I separated along the shore of Lake Koocanusa this morning. Brian headed North into the Canadian Rockies and I headed South and East towards Spearfish. My Ass gave out in Big Timber MT after nearly 500 miles. Great dinner in the Grand Hotel, an Irish Whiskey, a glass of Malbec and two glasses of Port later; what ass? Should be home at noon tomorrow. Brian should show up around July 28th ready to experience Sturgis from inside the trenches. What a trip, what a "Mate"! I can't think of anyone I'd rather ride with,easygoing, funny and tolerant of all my idiosyncrasies and faults. A great guy! Thanks for inviting me to be part of your adventure Brian. John
It's not so bad to be you either. Sounds like you had a great trip John, and might not be such a bad ride partner yourself. Have fun at the end of July...you've got just enough time to get the BBQ ready.

The free-spiritness of Festar's trip makes my imagination run wild. I envision what it must be like - who will he meet tomorrow? What willing and complimentary tour guide will take his/her part in the adventure - eager to show off another great road or attraction or whatever? Everyday, I check this thread faithfully. For me, it's good therapy for the mind.

After near three weeks of togetherness Brian and I separated along the shore of Lake Koocanusa this morning. Brian headed North into the Canadian Rockies and I headed South and East towards Spearfish. My Ass gave out in Big Timber MT after nearly 500 miles. Great dinner in the Grand Hotel, an Irish Whiskey, a glass of Malbec and two glasses of Port later; what ass? Should be home at noon tomorrow. Brian should show up around July 28th ready to experience Sturgis from inside the trenches. What a trip, what a "Mate"! I can't think of anyone I'd rather ride with,easygoing, funny and tolerant of all my idiosyncrasies and faults. A great guy! Thanks for inviting me to be part of your adventure Brian. John
It's not so bad to be you either. Sounds like you had a great trip John, and might not be such a bad ride partner yourself. Have fun at the end of July...you've got just enough time to get the BBQ ready.
We had the pleasure of having Brian and John spend the night at our home and I rode with them up LaPorte Rd. to Sparks. Top class gentlemen for sure. Any time you are near the Black Hills look up John, I'll bet he would make a great tour guide for the area.

PS. Our down under Uncle Festar can hustle a fully loaded Feejeer with ease.

As has already been posted BigJohn and I parted company in Eureka, North Montana a few days ago.

As fate would have it, I couldn't have had a better riding partner over the past how many days/weeks. (Time gets away and has no meaning on this journey)

John has been most generous with his time, knowledge, family and friends along the way. Through John and this forum I have met and been hosted along the way by some amazing and generous people. I hope one day to be in a position to return the hospitality shown to me by them

Since leaving John I ventured north into Canada. After my boarder interrogation I pretty well had Hwy 93 to myself to Banff where I had a serendipitous meeting with our Canadian Tour Guide from a trip some years ago.I was told that the Icefield Parkway north was closed due to fires so went no further. I knew the ride to Banff would be great and thought I would take a different route back Stateside.

The back roads east to the outskirts of Calgary were great but then it was slab and flat country all the way south. I wrongly assumed that a back road to the boarder would be interesting, how wrong was I. Another robotic interrogation at the gates left me shaking my head as I road through wheat field after wheat field, stopping the night in Fort Benton. Can't wait to hit the hills again. I am making my way to Colorado again, I hear there is a rally on in Georgetown.

Thanks all for all your positive feedback.

I forgot to thank John for being the scribe during our partnership, well done mate.

Brian, we need some narrative and pictures from the Red Lodge Rally.

Are there any beautiful people there?

Have fun on Beartooth and Chief Joseph but don't run over any Harleys along the way!

Had to be ten thousand bikes today between Red Lodge and Cody. 98% had to be Harleys and 98% of them ridden by old men with moustaches, bandanas and chaps or lady wrestlers and 98% of the time it was hard to distinguish which was which.

I got caught up in the crowd on Beartooth pass @ 29mph. 100's of them.