FJR again - this time AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a pretty good dose of respect for the AE chasing Brodie up Mt Hamilton. Of course that was before the suspension upgrades.

Oh yeah! Suspension! You know you want to.

A 'nuther nice feature 'bout the AE; since I don't shift w/ mah foot, I can wear big, warm, insulated, winter boots now that it's frick'in cold out.
specool.gif
(W/ those primitive manual clutch bikes I always liked lighter boots that give mor fell on the shifter.)

Well I did it. Tonight in my garage there's a really clean 2008 FJRAE nested next to my Super Tenere. I bought the bike that used to belong to Silverbullet. All kidding aside, the bike looks new. Hard to believe it's been riden 38,000 miles.

I'm excited to be an FJR rider again & look forward to burning up the asphalt with an FJR again.

Cheers!

I am waiting for Honda to put the DCT in a bike that I would actually want to own.
I just can't imagine why Honda is not selling the VFR1200XD Crosstourer stateside...
rolleyes.gif
I think you'd love this bike.

I've owned 2 FJRs and loved them, but as soon as I test-rode a friend's DCT Crosstourer I was hooked. I sold my 2005 FJR and got me a brand new one of those. It's no lighter than the FJR but extremely nimble, and that double-clutch tranny—coupled with the 130HP V-4 engine—is nothing short of amazing.

war_machine2.jpg
Beautiful bike! I do think I would like the crosstourer. But I would have to wait no only for Honda to bring it here, but also for someone else to suffer the first couple years depreciation for me. So I figure I have many thousands of miles to go on my FJR AE.

Congrats! Everyone I've met with an AE...loves it. Mi dos amigos have them, and am jealous when in bumper-to-bumper city traffic.

Gotta admit that I thought the rear subframe looked like a huge honking muffler when I first glanced at the bike on the right. Talk about an ugly first impression.

Gotta admit that I thought the rear subframe looked like a huge honking muffler when I first glanced at the bike on the right. Talk about an ugly first impression.
Well, you are kind of right. That large silver object is the cover over the muffler. One nice feature of the Super Tenere is it's nearly impossible to get a burn from the exhaust system it's all shielded. I can throw my jacket over the bike & never worry about burning it. I'll have to remind my wife & myself that the FJR has some hot mufflers that are quite able to burn. That reminds me of a story.

One Easter a few years back my eldest daughter came for Easter brunch & requested a motorcycle ride. I rolled my 2005 FJR out & took her for a spin. Her husband & small children thought we were both quite crazy - not a normal family activity on Easter. After about a 20 minute ride I noticed the smell of burned rubber as we stopped at an intersection. Moments later my daughter yelled out in pain that her foot was hot. Sure enough... she had it resting on the left muffler. When we got home her new Easter shoe was ruined & I was laughing so hard I nearly dropped the bike. I guess my pre-flight passenger briefing was a bit too short.

BTW, two summers ago, I helped this same daughter buy a 86 Honda 450 Nighthawk & she learned to ride & got her endorsement! Her husband thought she has lost her marbles but went along with it.

Happy ending.

I am waiting for Honda to put the DCT in a bike that I would actually want to own.
I just can't imagine why Honda is not selling the VFR1200XD Crosstourer stateside...
rolleyes.gif
I think you'd love this bike.

I've owned 2 FJRs and loved them, but as soon as I test-rode a friend's DCT Crosstourer I was hooked. I sold my 2005 FJR and got me a brand new one of those. It's no lighter than the FJR but extremely nimble, and that double-clutch tranny—coupled with the 130HP V-4 engine—is nothing short of amazing.

war_machine2.jpg
I've had my 07' AE for four years and love it. I rode the VFR1200 DCT and loved it more. In terms of power and tranny it's far superior. I would love to race tune that and use it for track days, and at the same time the best at all around shifting with out any input. It downshifts to first when you stop. Love that. Man, could I get any lazy-er?

I've had my 07' AE for four years and love it. I rode the VFR1200 DCT and loved it more. In terms of power and tranny it's far superior. I would love to race tune that and use it for track days, and at the same time the best at all around shifting with out any input. It downshifts to first when you stop. Love that. Man, could I get any lazy-er?
I've had my '06 FJR1300AS (AE) and my '10, and loved them. Now I have my '14, I love it more. A teasy-weasy little bit more power. Much better shifting, and, if I want, it will down-shift to first when I stop. Love it. Man, could I get any lazier?
smile.png

(Comparison.)

I'm waiting for Yamaha to bring the AS model to the US. When they do, I'll sell my '09 AE and pick up a GenIII.
[img=[URL="https://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44878825.jpg%5D"]https://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44878825.jpg][/URL]
Go ahead, Howie. Pour salt in the wound, you Bastard! (Insert the F...Y... Smiley Here) :)

A little salt, a little lemon, a little drain cleaner...it ALL burns! :D

But seriously, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Yamamama didn't re-think importing the scooter version again some day. :p

There was a mention in the March 2015 addition of MCN, Motorcyce Consumer News, on page 5 regarding DCT technology being slow to be accepted in the MC world however they felt certain the DCT would continue to grow based Patents & Concept bikes and they pacifically mention the FJR as a possibility. I have a fused left ankle therefore cannot ride a regular shift bike. I have had 4 AE's from 06 to 09. It would be great to be able to get a new FJR with all the upgrades & with the DCT system. I have over 180K on AE bikes and still find them exciting to ride. However a new FJR with all the upgrades and DCT would really be an exciting world best in class bike. I guess a guy can still dream of what that would be like!!!!!