FJR Dragon Fail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTwisty

Reaction score
While perusing the ADV forum, I came across this pic that caught my eye in the "Killboy failure Dragon Fest" thread. I sure hope this isn't anybody here.
sad.gif

FJRDragonFail.jpg

This one was posted awhile back. Must be something in the road to cause him to choose that line.

You'd think the cruiser would be flipping the guy off or something. I wonder what is causing the shadow

on the road, bottom left on pic.

https://www.fjrforum....howtopic=141709
The cruiser tried to flip him off, but he had to put his hand back on the bars to chart a new course to the inside, and that can take all ya got Captain.

There's bad riders everywhere guys. Just because you ride a ST doesn't mean your an accomplished rider...it just simply means you ride an ST. :p

Who knows what happened. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. But based on the sunny, dry road conditions my guess is that he just rode the curve incorrectly. This guy could be from the flat heartland of America and riding the twisties of the Dragon for the first time in his life and he has no cornering experience whatsoever. :(

There's bad riders everywhere guys. Just because you ride a ST doesn't mean your an accomplished rider...it just simply means you ride an ST. :p

Who knows what happened. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. But based on the sunny, dry road conditions my guess is that he just rode the curve incorrectly. This guy could be from the flat heartland of America and riding the twisties of the Dragon for the first time in his life and he has no cornering experience whatsoever. :(
I agree GR, what you say is probably the most likely scenario.

imho, it adds more weight to the argument that everyone should be required to take the MSF BRC. As a Rider Coach, I make a point of being sure people realize that a huge percentage of all motorcycle fatalities are "failure to negotiate a curve".

Bringing that up, even numerous times, when talking about Proper Cornering Technique, I think drives home the significance.

Have ridden the Gap numerous times with different riders. Many of them crossed the middle, unintentionally. One sport bike rider totaled his bike in a curve. He more than likely would have died if he didn't get his head out of the way of the tree (telephone pole? whatever it was) at the last second.

Probably the most memorable "line crosser" that comes to mind, that I've read about, was a guy on an ST1300. He crossed and sideswiped a rider coming in the other direction. And cut the other riders leg off.

All the info needed for a good, fundamental understanding of proper cornering technique is in the BRC. Seems like a great many people don't "get it" though...

By the length of shadow the bikes are throwing, the shadow you are talking about is not something in the road, but off the shoulder aways. I don't think he was avioding anything in the lane, He's just got no business riding like that. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe came into the corner and got a full dose of sun in the eyes.. considering the shadows

not an excuse but maybe what contributed to the poor and dangerous line the FJR was on.

I don't know guys. This rider has the Official Dragon Decal on his helmet and the bullet holes in the lower part of the fairing.

You can't just buy stuff like that can you? You have to have some creds or something. All kidding aside kudos to the cruiser

for handling the situation. I'd still like to think there was a bear approaching the road looking for a bear cross walk.

But this does serve as a reminder that no matter how good you are there are others on the road.

Be Safe.

Um guys...Douche bags can buy FJRs too. And...even FJR riders that are not douche bags can make a mistake every now and then.

Like no one here has EVER done it? Hmmmmmm. Don't know if I'd believe that. I know I've overcooked a corner or two on my bike. Just happy and lucky that no one was there to either video it or be hurt by it.

Based on the alignment of his tires compared to the yellow lines, I'd say he was in the process of heading back to his lane. It also appears that traffic is light and that he's not going very fast. Just some observations.

For what it's worth, I'm glad there's nobody filming the way I drive sometimes. In Florida, they put reflectors on the edge of most of the roads. They're raised and make a thump-a-thump sound when ya run out of your lane. They wake ya up in a hurry. Not that I've ever DONE that, of course...

Gary

darksider #44

Not that I have the opportunity to ride the Dragon where I am, but I sure wouldn't travel across the country to ride it, and this shot just reinforces my anti-Dragon prejudice. It just seems like a road a lot of guys make a destination so they can "ride some twisties" but maybe they live in the flatlands and don't get enough practice to do it well. Add to that the crew on sport bikes that think they're racing in the Isle of Man TT, throw in the oversize trucks that find their way onto it by mistake--what more do you need to know?

Every time this discussion comes up, riders from that area will come in and say they prefer other roads not so far away that don't have the same cachet and attract the same kind of idiots from all over. If you like it, no offense. I'd love to ride it--alone. Kind of like a lot of the roads I get to ride around here.

There are bigger fails on that road, and Killboy has photographed more than his share

img_2820.jpg

img_2823.jpg

On the other hand, no matter how good you think you are, there is always one of these to prove you don't. (I especially like the baby carrier on his back) :eek:

305306_2011305163265_832749607_n.jpg

That shit isn't funny man. Just because he's on a Harley doesn't mean anything. I'm sure his wife & kids didn't find his fall amusing. I hope he wasn't too badly hurt...but I doubt it.

Anybody can make a mistake in the mountains. I know I'm not the best rider in the world and it's really not all that difficult to mis-judge a curve at times if your not on your game. I don't really like seeing pictures of ANY biker going down and getting hurt.