FJR Forum Alps Extreme M/C Tour; August 8-15 of 2012.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are in,
yahoo.gif
deposit sent, two up on an BMW 1200 RT

Chris & Diana
That's Great News Chris and Diana, very happy that you are on board Alps Extreme 2012!

Yes very good news.... :yahoo:
BUMP REMINDER!

We've now achieved our 12+ participants Edelweiss Bike Travel 8% discount per person. We have eleven riders and two pillions. PLEASE NOTE: Ride Co-Leaders Uri Schumm and Don Stanley are going to ask EBT to cut off Tour Registrations when we reach fifteen riders; not passengers, but no more than 15 riders. Uri and Don simply feel that any group larger than fifteen Motorcyclists is just too unwieldy a size for a fun and safe expedition. A normal Edelweiss Tour will run up to 24 riders, but this is the beauty of our booking a Custom Tour, we call the shots once we reach the Group Minimum. So, if you have any desire to Ride a Ride of a Lifetime: Get your deposit in and join your FJR Forum Friends in Motorcycle Sport Touring the Alps and the Dolomites!

CURRENT ALPS EXTREME ROSTER AS OF 1/5/12:

AZ Beemers

Uri Schumm

Bob Flanders

Bruce Cain

Gary Miller

Dave Cooley

Don Stanley

Daniel S. Hedore

FJR Forum

Mike Dawson

Bill Fitkowski

Tom Cale

Miss Pam

Chris Edwards

Miss Diana

Last edited by a moderator:
Will they let that many Canadians into the country at the same time? (Bastages! I'm jealous!)

Will they let that many Canadians into the country at the same time? (Bastages! I'm jealous!)
The only problem I see is Homeland Security letting BeemerDons back into the States.
Problem? Where?
This Friday night 1/13 we AZ Beemers are having an Alps Extreme Planning Meeting at the home of AZB Bruce Cain in Gilbert, Arizona. I fully realize that you Kalifornicators and Canuckistanis cannot possibly attend this session, but if you have any specific questions about our adventure: Get the questions to Papa Chuy and we will get them answered.

Uri Schumm was raised speaking German, then he had to learn Hebrew at 10 and now he speaks English. But, even after all of these years, his German is impeccable.

Uri became good friends with the Edelweiss Bike Travel Secretary in Mieming, Austria and speaks to her frequently to practice his German. He would be happy to forward on any questions you may have about Alps Extreme to Werner Wachter or Rainer Buck of EBT.

Question:

Will a fight departing from the Munich Airport for home on August 15th at 10:20AM be workable? From what I can figure out the airport is not very far from the town where we will be staying on the last night (Aug 14th).

Will we need to arrange for a taxi or other transport to the airport or does the hotel supply this service? I am figuring we will need to leave the hotel no later than 07:00AM if I have my distances to the airport correct.

Set up a webcam and send us a link. I want to know who I'm getting into this thing with. (Actually, if that's possible, it would be pretty cool. Any chance? Would be nice to be able to ask questions that might occur at the time.)

I'd love to know about what the weather could be like--will it be cold in the mts? Hot in the valleys? Chances of rain? (wouldn't doubt it.) Also wondering if I should jump on an airfare asap or if there's a better time to book a flight. Thanks.

Set up a webcam and send us a link. I want to know who I'm getting into this thing with. (Actually, if that's possible, it would be pretty cool. Any chance? Would be nice to be able to ask questions that might occur at the time.)

I'd love to know about what the weather could be like--will it be cold in the mts? Hot in the valleys? Chances of rain? (wouldn't doubt it.) Also wondering if I should jump on an airfare asap or if there's a better time to book a flight. Thanks.
What the feck, SacMike? Are you sitting around the living room with Old Michael smoking doobies, listening to The Grateful Dead and drinking forties of Colt 45 malt liquor? Set up a webcam and send us a link? Yeah, roll up another fattie Dude! I am a Proud Neanderthal Luddite! Do I look like ionbeam or Fred W to you?

You are talking to a guy who has a picture of Gisele Bundchen taped up on the monitor of his "free" Garmin GPS because I hate seeing the shot of a road moving on the screen! I am bringing my Joe Rocket mesh two piece suit and Froggs Toggs to pull over them if it gets cold and rainy! And my heated riding gear.

On our route we will not be in that many hot valleys, that is farther South in Italy than we will be riding to. It rains every afternoon in the Alps, like Clockwork in August, but never more than an hour and the temps do not drop below 50F degrees at that time of year.

I am using Priceline, but they have not met my low ball requested pricing number for Phoenix to Berlin on 8/1 and Munich to Phoenix on 8/15. I will keep trying to be a Cheapo Charlie until Tax Day, then I will have to jump on a confirmed flight and the price be damned!

Question:

Will a fight departing from the Munich Airport for home on August 15th at 10:20AM be workable? From what I can figure out the airport is not very far from the town where we will be staying on the last night (Aug 14th).

Will we need to arrange for a taxi or other transport to the airport or does the hotel supply this service? I am figuring we will need to leave the hotel no later than 07:00AM if I have my distances to the airport correct.
The Munchen S-Bahn runs out to Erding and back to Munchen, you will then need to change to another S-Bahn train that connects from the Hauptbahnhof Munchen to Der Flughafen Munchen. That is a lot of monkey jerk motion on a day that we are trying to get out of Dodge. My suggestion is that we get four folks to a taxi and split the fee to the Munich Airport together.

Now, if you get to Munich early to go on the BMW Museum Tour I am scheduling for Tuesday, August 7: You can check out this train for yourself by riding with me midday on Wednesday, August 8. First thing, I will be taking Miss Donna to the airport for her flight home using the S-Bahn. I will return to the Hotel Post to get my luggage and re-embark on the S-Bahn, ride along with me and we can see how efficient it runs timewise.

Set up a webcam and send us a link. I want to know who I'm getting into this thing with...
You are kidding right??

You can't actually believe a Luddite like Don would be capable of such a technological feat. That is just too funny!

Now if Don was able to bribe his bastard stepson Skooter with free beer there may be a chance for a video conference on Skype.

That is a lot of monkey jerk motion on a day that we are trying to get out of Dodge...
I see this trip has degraded to the point where we are flinging poo.

Now, if you get to Munich early to go on the BMW Museum Tour I am scheduling for Tuesday, August 7
I plan on being in Munich early to utter blasphamy at the BMW alter and then get hammered at some Baverian tavern. Not necessarily in that order.

When do we go shopping for Team FJR lederhosen??

mmmmmmm As I rub my chin and ponder. mmmmmmmmmmm ;)
Rob, if you send me your Canuckistan mailing address by private message, I will mail you the six-page article from Rider Magazine reviewing this Edelweiss Alps trip.

I mailed one to HotRodZilla and that Jackass wiped his big butt with it! But, I mailed one to SacramentoMike and he actually read it; or he looked at the pretty pictures!

That is a lot of monkey jerk motion on a day that we are trying to get out of Dodge...
I see this trip has degraded to the point where we are flinging poo.

Now, if you get to Munich early to go on the BMW Museum Tour I am scheduling for Tuesday, August 7
I plan on being in Munich early to utter blasphamy at the BMW alter and then get hammered at some Baverian tavern. Not necessarily in that order.

When do we go shopping for Team FJR lederhosen??
Here you go Bill, you can start your early worshiping at the BMW Motorraden Altar! WARNING: Three of these motos in the slideshow invaded Poland.

I love the Hofbrau Haus, I know that it is very touristy; but that was my regular watering hole when I was in the US Army and living in Bavaria for two years.

https://gogermany.about.com/od/citiesandregions/tp/Munich_Top_Sights.htm https://www.angermaier-onlineshop.de/ Angermaier has been manufacturing Lederhosen und Dirndls for many centuries!

Lederhose_Jennerwein.jpg

We can get our matching Team FJR Lederhosen in der Altplatz, the Old Town District of Munchen. If you are truly devout and pious I will teach you the secret BMW handshake and let you recite the Bayerische Motoren Werke Motorraden Blood Oath; if you are really sincere, I will also teach you a few Wehrmacht marching songs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCfaeKJRIE