FJR vs Cruiser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I went out and rode the 04. I definately appealed to my senses. It was more comfortable than I expected, fast, and was not as heavy as i anticipated. They wouldnt go any lower than $8,000 b4 taxes. They claimed that they gave the guy $7k for the bike when he traded it in for an 08. Then there was another problem to overcome... Financing. Due to past experiance with dealership finance, I knew I'd get the run around with interest rates... I am 23 years young with good credit but very little "established" credit. I can see the 18%+ interest coming now. I am Jinxed :D
Howitzer,

Well, the dealers asking price and his financing were not really the point of the test ride, was it?

You went, you saw, you rode. Mission accomplished.

Now the question is: How did it feel? Is this the kind of bike you would be happy on?

If so, you WILL be able to find an FJR for a better price than that.

Did you already browse the classifieds here? How about your local Craig's List?

And since you are employed you will very likely be able to get better financing than what the dealer was offering. Check around for a Credit Union that you can join that has low consumer rates. You'll probably need some earnest money (down payment) but that would be true of any used vehicle loan.

Good Luck.

'CDN_FJR': How are they dangerous? How are they anymore dangerous than any other motorcycle type? Seriously, enlighten me....
Well one way is limited clearance and "grounding" hard chassis parts on the pavement when attempting cornering (this, I've been told, is what got astronaut "Pete" Conrad). When a mistake is made in corner entry speed judgement there is little (or, none?) reserve in ground clearance and when parts start to drag the rider often gets "pushed" off line and either across the center-line or off onto the shoulder. Sometimes with disastrous consequences? :(
Are we referring to sportbikes being dangerous or cruisers? I am a little confused as I thought that one of the criteria he and his buddies didn't like sport bikes was because they're dangerous. I re-read his post and it still sounds like he is reffering to sportbikes as being dangerous?

Hey, I just saw your topic, so sorry I'm so late chiming in. I had that debate when everyone I ended up riding with had cruisers. I had a bmw k100rs and I must admit stood out a little in a sea of cruisers. But, at the end of the day my back was feeling better, was always wanting the lead in twisties and because of fairings, riding position, etc was not quite as tired...everyone else was beaten to death by the wind. If we were running late and needed to make a bee-line home, I was the only one who dare suggested interstate because it tired them out too much. I tried cruisers, but because of the riding position, like sitting on a lawn chair with no back rest, my back started feeling it. During this period I was only in my early thirties, too early to experience sore backs. The sport touring riding positon allows you to maintain a good posture and I like that I can stretch by arching my back and my arms are lower--more restful then ape hangers :rolleyes: I also had a quicker response with the shifter. The 'ready' riding position allows you to stay on top(no pun intended) of the bike and in quicker? controll. That being said, I fell in love with Yam's Warrior and can see why there might be an arguement to have two bikes. But as I can have only one at this time---sport tourer all the way. They are just too versitile and FUN :yahoo:

John

I also feel that you can get more bike for the money. Some cruiser prices out there...geeez

Last edited by a moderator:
Howitzur: I'm sorry, you are ineligible to own an FJR. :rolleyes: You are way too young. Most of us are old farts who like to ride long, fast and in comfort with proper posture.
Ask yourself this one question: Why do the vast majority of the Long Distance riders (aka: LD riders) ride sport touring machines? There is a reason.

So, if you plan to put serious mileage on the motorcycle think FJR. If you are just looking for a 1/2 day tripper to get out and have fun, the cruiser will do nicely. It just won't corner as well, stop as well, or accelerate as well.
I had a good friend mine tell me that I was too young and fit for a Goldwing..so... I figured I would be elegible for an FJR...but I wonder.......... :rolleyes:

Are we referring to sportbikes being dangerous or cruisers? I am a little confused as I thought that one of the criteria he and his buddies didn't like sport bikes was because they're dangerous. I re-read his post and it still sounds like he is reffering to sportbikes as being dangerous?
'Howitzur': My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO).
My bad -- I didn't read (or, comprehend) what was being discussed fully. You're correct -- he was saying sportbikes are dangerous and you were asking 'what' made them so?

And my comment related to what made cruisers dangerous -- not directly aplicable. I do, however, think that there are no such inherent 'dangerous' aspects to sportbikes (or, sport-tourers) -- just good design and engineering for a road vehicle (imo).

The comment about sportbikes being dangerous probably comes from the perception that only young squidly men buy them and ride them aggressively. And I have to agree that any inexperienced rider can more easily get in trouble on a sportbike than a cruiser simply because of the higher performance. But the bike is not what's more dangerous; it's the rider.

I was meaning Sportbikes. In my area, most Sport Bikers are kids my age, and younger, who think they are on fire and must always go fast and do stupid junk. So, sportbikes are seen as unsafe alternatives to transportation when comparing to a cruiser. In my profession I have seen the outcome of over zealous sportbikers; not pretty. I understand the FJR is different, that is why I am looking at them. Unfortunately my higher ups and elder co-workers dont see the difference in sport-touring and SPort bikes. Ah well, I respect the sport biker community. I couldnt ride one, I KNOW i'd prolly do somethign to get myself into trouble or worse. I hope this clarified your question and I hope I "enlightened" you :D .

That one above made me laugh !!!!! Hope his commanding officer doesn't read that,,, He'll have a blanket party if he buys an fjr !!!
I'm thinking, dont buy an expensive bike if you know your going to be shipped out to the sand box.

Dont need the payments while your overseas, nor a co-signer to make payments. Dont need payments for storing the bike.

When you get back, you'll get a fresher/newer bike for same or lower price.

My thoughts, maybe buy a cheap old dirt bike (less than a grand) No payments . if/when you get shipped out try and sell it quick. Dirt bikes=wheelie kings, have some fun while your still here (U.S.)

Now if you've just returned from overseas service/or getting out , forget what I said. Go for broke, enjoy life again, see the country!!!

God bless
Oops! I am not military, I am Law Enforcement. If my Sarge read this, worse thing that would happen is that my patrol car might end up with a dead fish under the seat, or pepper spray in the air vents. :rolleyes: Good guys who, like yall said, havent experianced anything but cruisers. Well, one of the officers who's got the HD has owned an R1 and hated it. Couldnt move after a 200 mile trip. He sold it with 570 miles on it :blink: . Ah well.

Also to Fred W; you are right boy was that FJR fun. I enjoyed the limited time i spent in the saddle. It was a blast.

I was meaning Sportbikes. In my area, most Sport Bikers are kids my age, and younger, who think they are on fire and must always go fast and do stupid junk. So, sportbikes are seen as unsafe alternatives to transportation when comparing to a cruiser. In my profession I have seen the outcome of over zealous sportbikers; not pretty. I understand the FJR is different, that is why I am looking at them. Unfortunately my higher ups and elder co-workers dont see the difference in sport-touring and SPort bikes. Ah well, I respect the sport biker community. I couldnt ride one, I KNOW i'd prolly do somethign to get myself into trouble or worse. I hope this clarified your question and I hope I "enlightened" you :D .
One would have to argue that it's the rider that would be the unsafe component not the bike. A sportbike has better brakes, handling and manoeuvrability than an average cruiser... so if anything, with the same rider (and being ridden in the same manner) my money is on the sportbike for being the less dangerous vehicle.

One would have to argue that it's the rider that would be the unsafe component not the bike. A sportbike has better brakes, handling and manoeuvrability than an average cruiser... so if anything, with the same rider (and being ridden in the same manner) my money is on the sportbike for being the less dangerous vehicle.

and a sportbike can be used to knock a terminator off his feet :p :D

I had a Vulcan and loved it. My problem with the cruisers was all the pressure on my tailbone, mind you I'm only 5'7" 155 lbs. I could only ride about an hour before I NEEDED to get off, on the FJR (with risers and aftermarket seat) I can ride all day comfortably. They're different types of fun. I used to love to sit back and enjoy the scenery on the Vulcan and tried to do the same on the FJR with little success, I'm much happier on this machine at a more brisk pace with as many twists and turns I can find.

As far as financing goes, I've had good luck with eloan for my cages. I'm not sure if it works the same with motorcycles, but newer and lower miles gets a lower apr on cars from what I've been told.

As it's beem stated before, sport and sport-tourers are mechanically safer than cruisers. Yes, their are many sport bike riders who get themselves killed or injured due to excessive speed, reclessness and lack of experience. Cruiser riders get themselves killed or injuredfor the same reasons plus one...riding half naked. I was once guilty of the little or no helmet thing myself, the FJR cured me of that mindset and I'm much safer today as a result.

Good luck bro and hope to keep you here. I hate being a youngster at 37 on here. :rolleyes:

Well, here is the problem... My fellow co-workers are cruiser riders and dog the tar out of Sport bikes. Im with them on that regard, there dangerous, uncomfortable, and ugly (IMO). But when I mentioned I am possibly considering a FJR they about flipped a lid. My Sgt. has a 07 Vulcan 2000 and wouldnt hear it. He thinks ill have the same issues that I have with my current bike; Yam 06 FZ6. The problems are the monkey butt, sore back, stiff arms, the usual with sport-like bikes. A few others have HD street glide, Yam 1300, Suzuki 50ci cruisers and all say the same. There main thing is that Cruisers are more comfortable than sport tourers. I need y'alls best, unbias, opinion on what route I should take. I dont give a rat's heinie what they would think if i did get a FJR. I have not ridden one, but have ridden cruisers before and find them comfortable. Help me in my desicion process! :yahoo:

P.S. I am 50/50 in my decision b/w a FJR1300A and a Kaw Vulcan Nomad.

I am sort of in the same spot as you, except for the peer pressure you seem to be having from your crew. I am considering a Harley Street Glide and an FJR. I have been riding for about 7 years - mostly sport touring ('02 VFR) and adventure touring ('06 Vstrom). My next bike is something I have been pondering for about a year. I disliked Harley's. Never got the concept of low, slow and stretched out. But I've grown to like the looks of a nice cruiser. It reminds me of my days Hot Roddin' back in the 70s with the muscle car era. I’m wanting, for my next bike, to swing the pendulum far to the other side away from ‘sporting’ bikes to cruisers. I’m really interested in just trying something else. What has gotten me over my aversion to cruisers, is that, at least with the Harley Street Glide or the Road Glide, there is a gigaton of after market accessories and upgrades you will never find in the metric bike world (sport or cruiser). The SG and RG are made for touring (6 gallon tanks, cruise control, factory bags, good seat, good wind protection). They also just look good to me – the low slung, stretched out look is pretty sweet. Lastly, they are tangible, guttural machines. The sport bikes while technologically advanced are a bit ‘plastic’ to me. Indeed they are covered in plastics. Harley’s seem to have a character unmatched. Now, I have not ever ridden an HD, but I am renting a Street Glide in Feb for a few days. Maybe I’ll say, at that point, what was I thinking, these bikes are crap. Or maybe I’ll say, oh yah – this is sweet and this is indeed my next bike.

Certainly, don’t fall prey to the peer pressure crap from your comrades. Do what you want for sure and if they can’t except it – it is their loss! :D

As stated before, I have the new Road Glide and before that I had an Ultra Classic. I traded an 07' Nomad in for my 05' FJR. In my opinion the Kawasaki is a much better value than the Harley but the Harleys have something the metric bikes don't have. Most call it soul.

I think most of the recommendations you got where pretty fair and as unbiased as you will find on a motorcycle forum. The FJR is not even in the same class as the Nomad. They are different as night and day. If the choices boil down to those two bikes then you better spend some time on them both before you decide.

I will tell you that I thought I would never be caught on a bike like the FJR. However I always had a very slight interest. When I got the Harley I didn't ride the Nomad anymore because the two where so similar and I liked the HD better. I couldn't sell the Kawasaki so I traded it in on the FJR. Now I have the best of both worlds.

I am not a conformist. I have always been a little different so I will never buy something because somebody else has it. I get what I want, not what other people think I ought to have. I promise you that your comrades will not ignore you for your choice of ride. If they do get some new riding buddies. Nuff said. T.

I've had about a dozen bikes over the last 30yrs. The last 5yrs or so I decided to answer the "call of the wild" by getting a cruiser... almost. Yamaha's 650 VStar Custom. I liked it, but it was a bit raspy with it's high reving V-Twin on the highways so I traded it for a 1600 RoadStar.

Did a fair bit of longer distance highway rides (10hrs/day type stuff with minimal stops in all sorts of weather) and my lower back started killing me. I tried the Mustang Seat, the floorboard extenders (I'm 6' tall and 200Lbs), the risers, the pullbacks, the Iso-Grips, the highway pegs, the desert dawgs (snap on wind blockers for highway bars) with no luck.

My back still was bugging me big time!

One of the previous posts described it best - kinda like sitting on a lawnchair without a back. I'm starting to see more cruisers with a backrest for the rider...hmmmm...

The sport touring bike is more like sitting on a stool with your feet on the rungs under the stool. So far this is much more comfortable for me. Also, the fairing and adjustable windshield takes the pounding of the wind away allowing me to enjoy the surroundings!

But I do like the artwork of the cruisers - they look great parked! (my back likes them parked too)

Guess I'm way out of the loop.

My Harley Deuce is really comfortable.... Hertitage bars (almost baby apes), Mustang seat and either a barrel bag (hard plastic) or the Nelson-Riggs bag when I'm traveling for a back rest...<G>

The FJR I sold was also very comfortable. The 6.4 gal tank was great.

Biggest problem with the Harley is a 5 gal tank, I have to stop too often for gas, the FJR spoiled me.

Oh, both bikes got the same mileage consistantly, 43 mpg.

2156553850049372255S600x600Q85.jpg

And yes, the front tire is flat! Corner of I-70 and I-15 headed south to Las Vegas....

Mary

like most on here I came from riding a 04 Road Star to a 07 fjr . 2 different kinds of bikes. I love the fjr for all its handling and up to date safty features . As far as making them fit you , just like cruisers , you add this and that tell it fits what you want it to be. I can say I would not trade back. Best of luck in what ever direction you go.

To each his own...I traded in my 2004 VStar 1100 Custom last year in April and put more miles on my 07 FJR in 1 year than the 3 years I had the VStar. A lot more fun for me to ride even though all the "cruiser" guys I ride with call me a "yuppie". Still, I am the one who doesn't have to stop nearly as often for gas or a back break and I am still on the stock seat. I customized my VStar with $3k worth of accessories and it still wasn't the bike I have now. I live in the state of Maine and there is not a winter day that goes by that I don't think about getting back on the FJR for a long ride. I am already planning my next bike and I can't imagine it being anything else than a newer model of the FJR.