FJR vs K1600 ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I don't really care what anyone else rides. When I moved to Arizona, My Realtor now best friend, came from a long line of BMW ownership but bought a Harley Street Glide Rushmore edition. He spent a fortune on it, upgrading the motor and customizing and while it sure looked cool, it was still one slow, poor handling pig and he was made full well aware of that on our road trips. But, I love riding with the guy and we had some great adventures. Recently, he picked up a low mile 2015 K1600GT for a pretty good deal. He got a great deal because the previous owner was an idiot and we suspect the crap tires he had on it had him thinking the bike had issues. It's a great looking bike without that barcolounger on the back.

When I took him to pick it up, the owner pointed out to me that this thing would smoke my lowly FJR. I knew better as my buddy had already done a test ride on a new 1600 and we ran even. Freeway onramp launches, passing, whatever, the bikes seem to be equally matched. I have a weight advantage, both in the bikes and personally and he has a horsepower advantage. We haven't had the opportunity to see how they compare in the twisties yet but I suspect that like most modern well build bikes, it will be more a matter of nerve and skill as the bikes will probably both be up to whatever we ask of them.

I love his bike, it looks cool and like the FJR, goes like stink. It sounds gnarly on the throttle. But for me, I would need to see an obvious advantage to owning it over the FJR. I go back to Washington twice a year on the bike as well as now having been to the east coast in addition to my never ending tramping around west of the Rockies. I put 25k on my current FJR in its first year and at the advanced age of 60 I can still knock out 1k days on a whim and all I've done is change the seat. So while I could afford to "join the club", I can't see why I would. I can service absolutely everything on the FJR. (ok, I admit that now that I'm a geezer I leave the valve check to the dealer) And even though like most newer bikes, the weight seems to sort of go away over 5MPH, the FJR is a fat as I want a bike to be.

So, it isn't as much a cost factor as it is bang for my buck. I could be Bill Gates and I will still be that way. My bikes are my one big vice in life so I will ride what I want to ride. But, having ridden both I don't see the value in the BMW over my FJR. As always, it's a YMMV kinda thing. I think the K1600 is a wonderful motorcycle, I just don't see where it is 10k plus more wonderful. I do however appreciate my buddy buying his. When he is riding lead, I no longer have to do a power braking maneuver after a long multi vehicle pass so I don't run over him.
smile.png

Paul Glaves diagnosed obscure problems with my RT twice. And he's never met me or seen my bike. He and his wife, Voni, may be the most knowledgeable couple regarding BMW's in history.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bill Lumberg" data-cid="1322544" data-time="1467737359"><p>

Comfort and ergo wise, the RTW and K bikes are head and shoulders above. But when it comes to service availability, parts availability, and company support, the FJR and Yamaha are far ahead. For LD touring, I had to make several mods just to get the FJR close in terms of comfort. But I got it close. Wouldn't trade the FJR for anything. But if Yamaha made the RTW or K bike, I'd be on one of them..... </p></blockquote>

I kind of disagree about service availability. Bring a FJR into a Yamaha dealer that sells one or two a year and the techs are clueless. Never been in a BMW shop that didn't have an RT guy who did them all day.

Just my experience though.

Still have an 02RT that I refuse to part with. Only had a K12GT so can't speak about the K16. The FJR is the winner over the K12GT though.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bounce" data-cid="1323313" data-time="1468070809"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="fjr" data-cid="1323312" data-time="1468070638"><p>Never been in a BMW shop that didn't have an RT guy who did them all day.</p></blockquote>

<br />

That may not be a good thing.</p></blockquote>

Master mechanics? A pleasure. Very hard to find these days.

Just read all this post and it sounds like you may be interested in more of a touring/sport bike. I have been considering the same myself and after a test ride I have found the perfect for me bike. The smoothest bike in the world is the Honda Goldwing which is a beast, yet the F6B being a basic Goldwing is not . It does handle a better than the Goldwing and after riding one you will discover how sporty they ride. The new models have electronic cruise and adjustable suspension, very comfy seat for rider and passenger. Many features on this bike, go with the deluxe version, several 2015 models out there selling for less than a 2016 FJR.

I have to agree about Yamaha dealers and unfamiliarity with the FJR. It is a good thing the FJR doesn't have the reliability issues common to BMW. A very good thing. The local Yamaha store can get parts for the FJR but unless it's an ATV forget service but at least they're up front about it and they're a friendly bunch.
smile.png
I stopped in with my new 2010 FJR and they all came out and looked her over. Most had never seen one.

I think (maybe) BMW Motorrad is changing their ways since the car division took over. At bmwsporttouring.com forums you read about very few problems with the new wetheads.

Having to travel into an adjoining state to find a full service BMW shop was one of the things I didn't like when BMW was my primary ride. It's a dealer density issue that can seriously affect travel. <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="fjr" data-cid="1323312" data-time="1468070638"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bill Lumberg" data-cid="1322544" data-time="1467737359"><p><br />

Comfort and ergo wise, the RTW and K bikes are head and shoulders above. But when it comes to service availability, parts availability, and company support, the FJR and Yamaha are far ahead. For LD touring, I had to make several mods just to get the FJR close in terms of comfort. But I got it close. Wouldn't trade the FJR for anything. But if Yamaha made the RTW or K bike, I'd be on one of them..... </p></blockquote><br />

<br />

I kind of disagree about service availability. Bring a FJR into a Yamaha dealer that sells one or two a year and the techs are clueless. Never been in a BMW shop that didn't have an RT guy who did them all day.<br />

Just my experience though.<br />

Still have an 02RT that I refuse to part with. Only had a K12GT so can't speak about the K16. The FJR is the winner over the K12GT though.</p></blockquote>

I was all set to buy a BMW when I was in the market for a sport tourer but the local BMW dealer ruined it for me. I have a great Yamaha dealer close by and as long as they are in business I'll look at the Yamaha products first. Having said that I'm toying with the idea of an adventure bike. I've ridden the Super Tenere but it is just not there for me. I'm really intrigued but the new Honda Africa Twin but it's hard to get a demo ride on one around these parts to see if the bike matches the hype.

Well i did it...pulled the trigger on a 2016 K1600GTL today....after 2x FJR's i am changing teams....i went for a trial ride last week and that nailed it for me, WOW!! improved comfort for both riders (i always ride 2-up), Radio, Superior wind protection (actually able to ride with visor up), GPS, improved suspension, etc... Handling is amazing,you don;t feel the extra weight at all, i even dare say it's as maneuverable as the FJR in corners & that 6cyl. spits out LOTs of power......However, i must admit that it is a bigger bike to move around the garage, but once it's moving...amazing ! IMO i would not compare the GTL to the FJR, they are not in same ballpark, maybe the GT but definitely not the GTL.....it is indeed more money, but you get much more bike...and the resell value is higher so in the end maybe not so much more money.

keep the rubber side down, Ride safe.

Enjoy your bike!

In the middle of a two week trip in BC, my FJR is all I ever need, two up touring, or solo hooliganizing in the mtns.

Glad you found a bike good for you...now go out and ride that thing!

Well i did it...pulled the trigger on a 2016 K1600GTL today....after 2x FJR's i am changing teams....i went for a trial ride last week and that nailed it for me, WOW!! improved comfort for both riders (i always ride 2-up), Radio, Superior wind protection (actually able to ride with visor up), GPS, improved suspension, etc... Handling is amazing,you don;t feel the extra weight at all, i even dare say it's as maneuverable as the FJR in corners & that 6cyl. spits out LOTs of power......However, i must admit that it is a bigger bike to move around the garage, but once it's moving...amazing ! IMO i would not compare the GTL to the FJR, they are not in same ballpark, maybe the GT but definitely not the GTL.....it is indeed more money, but you get much more bike...and the resell value is higher so in the end maybe not so much more money.
keep the rubber side down, Ride safe.
Glad you found what you were looking for.

What color was the Kool-Aid ?

I haven't owned, but have ridden, the K1600GT. One of my frequent riding buddies has a 2015 -- we've been all over the country together including two IBA rides in last two years. I've gotten to know the K1600 pretty well. If I'm spending my own money, I go with the FJR without hesitation. However, my buddy loves the K1600GT and rides it hard. He has not had any mechanical issues after about 25K miles. We raced them a couple of times on lonely stretches of straight road. From a stop, my FJR can take him in the quarter mile, but before the half mile mark he consistently overtakes me. Same thing for high-speed roll-on. Still, I like the performance of the FJR in the twisties, and I love the character of the FJR's engine, its bullet-proof reliability, and relatively low cost of ownership. IMO it's impossible to compare the bikes without taking value into consideration. That factor makes the choice easy for me.

Having owned a 2007 FJR and a 2015 K1600 GTL, I will say they are two different bikes and which one is better really depends on what is important to you. A more direct comparison from the BMW lineup to an FJR would be the R1200 RT and not necessarily the bigger K1600. I bought the GTL because I wanted a more upright riding position (long rides on the FJR killed my lower back) and I could afford the initial purchase cost. I wasn't interested in Harley or Victory, and didn't want a Goldwing either. The Beemer fit my needs with more comfort on longer rides and is still fun with a twist of the wrist and in the corners. I'm 58 years old and not interested in dragging pegs through the turns. If grinding down pegs and how fast you go is important, then maybe look at the K1300 S (175 hp) if you want a BMW. I don't regret owning my FJR at all, it was a great bike. I just got too old for the sportier seating position. My advise to the OP is to figure out what is most important to you and buy the bike that checks most of those boxes. And yes, I haven't owned my FJR for a while now, but it is still nice to come back and visit this forum now and then. Hope you don't mind me adding my $.02.

Having owned a 2007 FJR and a 2015 K1600 GTL, I will say they are two different bikes and which one is better really depends on what is important to you. A more direct comparison from the BMW lineup to an FJR would be the R1200 RT and not necessarily the bigger K1600. I bought the GTL because I wanted a more upright riding position (long rides on the FJR killed my lower back) and I could afford the initial purchase cost. I wasn't interested in Harley or Victory, and didn't want a Goldwing either. The Beemer fit my needs with more comfort on longer rides and is still fun with a twist of the wrist and in the corners. I'm 58 years old and not interested in dragging pegs through the turns. If grinding down pegs and how fast you go is important, then maybe look at the K1300 S (175 hp) if you want a BMW. I don't regret owning my FJR at all, it was a great bike. I just got too old for the sportier seating position. My advise to the OP is to figure out what is most important to you and buy the bike that checks most of those boxes. And yes, I haven't owned my FJR for a while now, but it is still nice to come back and visit this forum now and then. Hope you don't mind me adding my $.02.
How old is petey? Is he 58 yet?