FJR1300 vs V-Rod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No brainer for me if I owned the dealership. No FJR on the floor....V-Rod sitting on my floorplan I am paying interest on...and threw in a lie to make him feel good out the door so he dosn't overthink it before I get the check. Come on. Hell I would do it today at the RV dealership if I had any customers in the door at the moment.

No brainer for me if I owned the dealership. No FJR on the floor....V-Rod sitting on my floorplan I am paying interest on...and threw in a lie to make him feel good out the door so he dosn't overthink it before I get the check. Come on. Hell I would do it today at the RV dealership if I had any customers in the door at the moment.
Can I get a "Hell Yeah!" for bikepoor?

+1

Hell, I'd tell my old lady, the lovely and talented Missus Howie, that her ass wasn't all THAT big, just on the off chance I'd get laid.

Telling a lie to move a $20k albatross out the door?

Youbetcherass!

Most of these bikes that are selling for $5000 over retail have extras on them, at least that I have seen.

At my local dealer they have all the chromed out high priced jobs on the floor and a warehouse next door with the stock no frills no chrome bikes that sell for what the msrp is.

You usually have to ask to see these.

And yes they do have the $30000 Vrods with every add on know to man including custom paint, chrome, wheels, seats, pipes etc.

But you can also get the stock one for $15000 or some even less if you look around. One friend of mine says a dealer in NC sells stock vrods for like $12000.

Hell, I'd tell my old lady, the lovely and talented Missus Howie, that her ass wasn't all THAT big, just on the off chance I'd get laid.

Telling a lie to move a $20k albatross out the door?

Youbetcherass!

Have you tried that technique?? :blink:

What do you think? Did you get the key part of my statement? "Just on the off chance..."

:lol:

Most of these bikes that are selling for $5000 over retail have extras on them, at least that I have seen.At my local dealer they have all the chromed out high priced jobs on the floor and a warehouse next door with the stock no frills no chrome bikes that sell for what the msrp is.

You usually have to ask to see these.

And yes they do have the $30000 Vrods with every add on know to man including custom paint, chrome, wheels, seats, pipes etc.

But you can also get the stock one for $15000 or some even less if you look around. One friend of mine says a dealer in NC sells stock vrods for like $12000.

Yea, the dealer right down the street has them listed at MSRP and is shooting most of their stock off at 1k to 2k off (Kutters in Janesville WI). Now I have heard some dealers in Chicago are running at least that over MSRP. I would imagine if it had been sitting on their floor long enough they are paying curtailments on it to the bank they would bust a move and dicount it. Supply and Demand. You know...as long as the customer is happy with their purchase it's all cool. Just like all of you, when he takes that V-Rod out for the first time and has that shit eating grin...

Just please don't embarrass him on the street with the FJR. Buyer remorse is a bitch to deal with. :(

After all, we all know who has the better bike.

But we're supposed to listen to your brain fart?

Sure your buddy had 30K in his V-Rod - bullshit. Sure he couldn't get 14K for it (unless its an'02). Anytime you want to run it against your old 450 honda let me know, I'll get one and race ya --- I guess this is your attemp at humor, huh?

Sorry, didn't know you had a V-rod....Good luck getting rid of it....But if you like farting, then you chose the right bike....

Remember, in Dallas the HD dealer (the only HD Dealer too) was asking $5,000 over MSRP for the V-RODS back then.....and my delusional friend paid that. That'd put the price of the bike in mid 20's after TT&L.....And I guarentee you it doesn't take too many farkles to drop another $5K on your bike here at the friendly HD dealer......might get ya some chromed parts and custom pipes maybe...

Remember, this is texas....where if you screw enough people out of enough money, and don't piss em off they elect you GOV......then if you can screw everyone in the whole state out of enough money without pissing everyone off, you get to go on to much bigger things, well you know...

So --- you're a democrat in Texas, that explains it ---- kinda like riding your FJR to Sturgis. I suggest moving to East Coast or here to good ole Cal-i-for-i-a.

And no - I got a softail not a V-ROD - and paid $500 back of MSRP with no extra chrome. Although I do admit I have added ..........

Last edited by a moderator:
can't help but chime in

prices are set by individual dealers ,, I have seen FJR's being sold for 2>3 thousand over MSRP

I own several HD's , my newest is an '06 Deluxe , I shopped several dealers and was quoted from MSRP to 5 g's over ,,

and as for salesmen ,, they do what the sales manager tells them to do ,, it's about qouta's and floor plan ,,

I bought my Deluxe from a dealer in El Paso Tx,, had it shipped to Va and it still cost me less than the local dealer ....

I remember riding a V-Rod with a buddy that sells them. First serious corner I came to I almost ran off the road. Kind of like aligator wrastling... What a whale...

I guess you have to do what you have to do to make a sale and feed the family.

The day a V-Rod stays even close to my FJR in a drag race its well past a tune up. If I remember right the V-Rod is ownly 108 HP versus 145 on the FJR. And I know the V-Rod has to weigh alot more! Power to weight ratio do the math!!! And theirs know way it even comes close to the handling of the FJR. I rode a V-Rod once at the Laughlin River Run. Know way was it even close to the all-around performance of the FJR. Before I got on the V-Rod for a test ride the salesman was selling me on the performance of the bike but did not ask me what I was riding currently. After the test ride he ask me what I was currenly riding. After I told him he still tried to sell me on the performance of the V-Rod. I told him I was more than happy to race him in the quarter mile title for title. I never got an answer. Darn I could have owned a V-Rod from a easy drag race, sold it, and had enough money to buy another FJR and some walking around money. Remember it was a salesman talking!

So --- you're a democrat in Texas, that explains it ---- And no - I got a softail not a V-ROD - and paid $500 back of MSRP with no extra chrome. Although I do admit I have added ..........

Well, your crystal ball ain't working too well today....No, I'm not a democrat, I'm a 4th generation republican. I didn't leave the party, they left me. They disappeared somewhere way off to the right...

And I'm glad for ya, not being suckered into a V-rod....although I understand why you got a FJR in addition to your softail,....sometimes you need something you can depend on to get you there....that is, when you have to be there....

And the good news is, you protologist called......they found your head.

here i go again....

It's a matter of function versus curb apeal.

When people ask what mileage my big ass truck gets, I ask them what's the towing capacity of their Honda civic.

If chrome is cool -- getchasome! If fast is cool -- getchasome! If function is your bag -- getchasome!

Well, I think all that is performance crap about the V-Rod, is just that CRAP! The one I rode was so underpowered & loud , that I turned around after a couple of blocks and went back.....I remember giving it a FULL PUNCH and the power just wasn't there, compared to the 83 V65 I'd been riding for 20 years that is.........Plus, it was so freaking loud (sampson straight pipes) that my ears rang for a week.....Now, when I got on my FJR for the first ride, that is a different story, as the first time I rode it, I FULL PUNCHED it going up an entrance ramp to the Hwy and the front tire came off the ground as I shifted from 1st to 2nd, I remember thinking YEEEHAAA, THIS IS THE BIKE FOR ME.....finally something as fast as the damn 20 yr old Honda I'd had forever..

Don't believe anything you read in a Motorcycle Rag, an owner's manual, or muchless anything a ------------------- says!
+1 :D

I don't know about harley salesmen, but most cage salesmen work on commission. If I was, I would want to sell a v-rod over an fjr, more money in my pocket after the sale. I will not push the harley over the feej, nor will I build up the v-rod over the fjr is someone were to ask me which I would own, but if he wanted the v-rod I'd sell him one in a heart beat. Money walks....

Mike

I answered for a friend the other day when someone asked him why he liked harleys. My ans was ooooooooohhhh shiney

I don't know about harley salesmen, but most cage salesmen work on commission. If I was, I would want to sell a v-rod over an fjr, more money in my pocket after the sale. I will not push the harley over the feej, nor will I build up the v-rod over the fjr is someone were to ask me which I would own, but if he wanted the v-rod I'd sell him one in a heart beat. Money walks....

Mike
As my (Indian) Grandfather said to me,

If you make money you God, it will haunt you like the devil!

here i go again....
It's a matter of function versus curb apeal.

When people ask what mileage my big ass truck gets, I ask them what's the towing capacity of their Honda civic.

If chrome is cool -- getchasome! If fast is cool -- getchasome! If function is your bag -- getchasome!
Exactly; there is no right or wrong answer to the above diatribes.

This isn't limited to HD sales reps. A co-worker of my fiance' (oddly enough a sales rep) paid about $1500 too much for a GSXR750. It was one of the really "rare" blue/white ones and they had to get it "special" from Utah. There are several born every minute.