Fluctuating Idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwpools

Reaction score
Anybody else having this problem?

I have a 09, with 650 miles. After driving it the first time noticed the idle bouncing up and down slightly. Took it back to the dealer, he made some adjustments, and issue resolved. Just got it back from it's 600 mile service, and it returned (Local Yamaha shop, not where purchased) I gave it back to him, and it's still doing it. Anyone else having this or had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Anybody else having this problem?I have a 09, with 650 miles. After driving it the first time noticed the idle bouncing up and down slightly. Took it back to the dealer, he made some adjustments, and issue resolved. Just got it back from it's 600 mile service, and it returned (Local Yamaha shop, not where purchased) I gave it back to him, and it's still doing it. Anyone else having this or had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Any chance of recording it and posting the sound byte/video?

Did the dealer do a carb synch?

Are you feeding it high octane gas when lower octane will do?

"Throttle bodies have herb sync "

Did Herb do the sync or were they smokin herb when they did the sync? :dribble:

I have a 09, with 650 miles. After driving it the first time noticed the idle bouncing up and down slightly.
Define slightly.
You or somebody needs to do a throttle-body sync. Check the Bin 2 FAQ for pictorials. I found it pretty easy to do, especially if you remove the fuel tank instead of merely propping it up.

Anybody else having this problem?I have a 09, with 650 miles. After driving it the first time noticed the idle bouncing up and down slightly. Took it back to the dealer, he made some adjustments, and issue resolved. Just got it back from it's 600 mile service, and it returned (Local Yamaha shop, not where purchased) I gave it back to him, and it's still doing it. Anyone else having this or had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks
My 09 is doing it also...was slight after around 600 miles...then got real bad after putting hole shots on...but noticed the idle was down to 900 rpms...adjusted idle to 1100 rpms and it is much better but still there...I am thinking power commander, just haven't gotten around to doing it...I saw a video on here about throttle body sync...and this FJR was doing it also...it got a little better after TBS..but I could still here it...more like an idle surg...

If the idle still "hunts" after setting the idle speed to 1100, recheck the TB synch, and if desired, do the Barbarian CO Mod described elsewhere in the Forum. I added +4 units to my '08 idle CO settings (was +10, now +14) for all cylinders, and others have added more. I find that it idles very well with the slight added idle mixture richness. Some minor change in idle RPMS is quite normal on a new engine until all the cylinders break in, the piston rings seal well, and the internal part friction is reduced. How much does yours vary?

Gary in Fairbanks

:unsure: My idle fluctuates approx. 50rpm at idle. It's done this since odometer zero (and for 30 days now at 750mi).

It seems to do it less after being run out on the road.

My Yamaha dealer (Ride Now) wants about $30 less than if I buy my own CarbTune for synch job plus all other 1st service checks, excluding oil, filter and shaft/final lube (I did that already myself). Their Gold Certified Yamaha tech has a carb synch tool that he says is digital and it does other checks too.

What I'm doing now is racking up miles to 1,000+ so that the synching that I'll have done in a few weeks will last for a while. :p

A lingering problem about the out-of-synch riding I'm doing is that the first pull away after starting cold will jerk the clutch into and out of engagement until fully engaged and rolling away. It can be scary because as tacky as my OEM tires are, a smooth cement surface can make the rear wheel spin a little if the throttle is moved too quickly. Setting the idle up to 1050 allowed me to pull away with less clutch clack & chatter but then coming to a stop made the clutch stay engaged while breaking. I've since turned the idle back down to 950. :(

Fluctuating 50 rpm you say?

WTF? You guys need to get out more often or something.

If your idle sounds like the one in the throttle body sync video link above it is perfectly 100% normal. Stop the unnecessary angst!!

sometimes I just don't know about this forum...just trying to have a nice easy online chat about something that concerns us...and some one always has to ruin my day with comments like that...maybe you should get out more often...instead of posting comments that just ad to OUR angst..

Easy pal. If I didn't like you I wouldn't mess with ya. ;)

I'm just saying: Don't worry, be happy... Seriously. It's nothing.

sometimes I just don't know about this forum...just trying to have a nice easy online chat about something that concerns us...and some one always has to ruin my day with comments like that...maybe you should get out more often...instead of posting comments that just ad to OUR angst..
Easy pal. If I didn't like you I wouldn't mess with ya. ;)

I'm just saying: Don't worry, be happy... Seriously. It's nothing.
Nice job Fred, adding to his angst and all, 50 rpms is pretty significant ya know? :glare: I'm still wondering about herb. :blink:

Nice job Fred, adding to his angst and all...
I'm just here to help... :rolleyes:
Damn, Fred...you gonna chase away ANOTHER newb? You need about a 16 week old kitten to calm your angry ass down a little, bud!

You know that 50 rpm variance is gonna cost him about .0000000000000000001 mpg for every 10 days it sits and idles, right?

Not to mention the extra stress on the muffler bearings.

:assassin:

Nice job Fred, adding to his angst and all...
I'm just here to help... :rolleyes:
Damn, Fred...you gonna chase away ANOTHER newb? You need about a 16 week old kitten to calm your angry ass down a little, bud!

You know that 50 rpm variance is gonna cost him about .0000000000000000001 mpg for every 10 days it sits and idles, right?

Not to mention the extra stress on the muffler bearings.

:assassin:
Those muffler bearings are a bitch to replace.

Latest posts