FODS V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well folks, sad to say I'm going to back out of returning to DV for this. I was there in Beatty this past weekend for the White Stag Rally and did have some good-time fun. But work is calling, and us self-employed types have to make hay when the sun's shining.

For those of you considering a night at the Nugget in Reno, be sure to take advantage of their Strike It Rich promo that's going on. The rate on that Wednesday night isn't that great compared to the $35 rate we had on our Thursday night heading south, but it's still a good package. Premium room in the better East tower, breakfast for two at the cafe, drink coupon, $5 match play, free internet, and no resort fee charge.

As for our weekend, my friend Ernie and I rode off-road from Lida to the little ghost town of Gold Point. Turns out the town is still alive, and we had a great time in the saloon chatting with Herb, the guy that owns the town. I'd highly recommend making a stop there. After a little liquid-encouragement to get us moving we headed for more dirt roads that brought us out near Ubehebe Crater.

Then we did something I don't recommend, we road Titus Canyon Rd. the WRONG WAY. We needed to meetup with some other folks for some shooting fun at the south end of the road and it was the quickest way to get there. Yes we had folks telling us we were going to the wrong way but we just thanked them and continued on our way. Thankfully Ranger Rick didn't happen by and we made it through unscathed. I DO recommend riding the road though, but go the right way.

Have fun y'all and enjoy a cold one for me while you're there.

Reno John posted some pics from our White Stag weekend HERE. Pic #12 is Ernie and me riding in at the end of Titus Canyon road, #14 shows Ernie by his Strom and my Tenere, #16 is me and Ernie celebrating our good luck at not encountering any rangers on the road!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to ride Utah! :yahoo: . Going to have a hard time prioritizing riding or photography. :blink:

I'm back from vacation now if anyone needs anything.
Are you still headed up Wednesday and thinking of exploring somewhere Thursday? I am thinking of either driving up Thursday and stopping by Dumont Dunes for a few hours since I'll drive right past it or heading up Wednesday night to the hotel and riding to the Racetrack Thursday morning. That's been on my bucket list for a while and I was on the feej my last two trips. Decisions, Decisions
I'll ride out to Racetrack with you, haven't been there before. Planned on checking out Echo Canyon but that is on the agenda anyway.
Well doesn't look like my two ideas are going to work. The racetrack is 130 miles one way from the hotel and that is just to much street riding for me on the DRZ. We will have enough of that over the weekend. Dumont is also out once I found out you need a 40 dollar pass to park and ride. Gotta start thinking about Plan C now :dribble:

hehe.......what about plan GN...

R
Shouldn't you be out golfing or something :p There's no way I'm parking my truck and trailer with my bikes in downtown Vegas. My new idea is to check out area 51 but its just an idea at this point.

ok boys and girls i am off to UK in a few hours to bury my dad so may not be on here for a few.......

Steve will call you when i get back.

R

Hey guys,

Just got off the phone with Don Wilke who along with a few other guys will be camping in the RV park. I'm bringing a lounge chair down to sit by his fire and think anyone would be welcome to do the same. He told me the pool and spa are closed right now* so gathering spots are up in the air. Good thing FODsies are free-range type folks. :)

* Just confirmed, no pool until Memorial Day and the spa is down for maintenance. :angry:

Please post up in the original thread when you have booked a place to live for this ride and I will keep a running list of attendees.
I hope it's not too late to join the fun...tax refund came in and I have PTO I'm losing if I don't use it.

Just booked a room at the Longstreet from the 14th through the 17th. I'll be hauling my street legal xr650r and joining the dirty boyz.. :eek:

Anyone from the PNW wanna share the ride and room? Have room in my Dakota 4x4 for another bike.

dougc

Will bring a couple chairs...

I hope it's not too late to join the fun...tax refund came in and I have PTO I'm losing if I don't use it.

Just booked a room at the Longstreet from the 14th through the 17th. I'll be hauling my street legal xr650r and joining the dirty boyz.. :eek:

Anyone from the PNW wanna share the ride and room? Have room in my Dakota 4x4 for another bike.

dougc

Will bring a couple chairs...
You have email.