Gen 1 (2004) Handlebar Vibrations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not good,

Do you have or tried Grip puppies? IMO, a bit more comfy (as their thicker) and easier to hold on to.

Also maybe trying the Olympia, leather gloves with gel inside the palms. I have both on my

FZ (more buzzier than the FJR) and I don't have any issues (mental maybe...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have grip puppies and bar-end weights. My fingers go numb in my car, and while I am cutting the lawn too. But I'll pass on the surgery until I can't stand it anymore. My dad had Carpel Tunnel surgery and ended up with two fingers permanently numb in his right hand.

Also, pay close attention to the angle of your wrists when you are grasping the handlebars. Try to maintain as straight as possible wrist angle. The more angle there is between your hand and arm, especially dorsiflexion, the more impingement there will be in the carpal tunnel.

wrist_201-1461F692DD540218C62.png

Assume that you already have some bar risers of some kind? If not, consider get some, or bigger ones. The idea is to get the weight off those wrists. You do not want to be leaning on the bars much if at all.

Good luck with it. Numb hands is a bummer.

Went to the doc about my numb fingers. Because all of my fingers EXCEPT for my pinky finger go numb, he thinks it's Carpel Tunnel. Ugh. I guess I am going to live with it.
You may have been told this or it may have been mentioned before but I have dealt with this and found sleeping with braces on both wrists, or the troublesome one, helps a lot. I still do this if I overwork my hands such as in a day or two of wrenching.

I've also had the surgery on both hands years ago and still do the above.

OK, I lucked out and found some used risers. I'm told that I will need extended brake lines. Galfers are awfully expensive; do our brake lines have banjo connectors on both ends? Can anyone provide me the length of the stock lines so I can order some of these, please? https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28909/i/streamline-universal-braided-stainless-steel-brake-line If I will be unable to use a universal line for some reason, can someone direct me to extensions for the brake and clutch lines please?

Lastly, what will I have to do to provide any required additional length on the throttle cables?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, Keith, I got wrist braces - no improvement wearing them overnight. :( The jury is still out concerning any improvement wearing them while riding.

I didn't have to extend my brake line (or any lines / cables) when I put 1.25" straight up

risers on my 04. (see below)

I may have re-clocked the banjo / bolt(so it was straighter), but the stock line fit...

An Audiovox Cruise Control or comparable unit can alleviate much of the potential numbness if you'll use them.

I installed one on my '04 less than six months after I bought it in '03.

I soon was addicted to the device and use it whenever conditions allow.

Hand fatigue and numbness aren't issues if you use the CC.

My riding style might be considered a bit dangerous since I typically ride with only my left fingertips touching the handlebars guiding the beast down the road.

I wouldn't ride the beast without the CC.

I'd love CC on my bike(s) but I don't want to shell out $600 - $800 for the Rostra, and I don't want to spend many hours installing the Audiovox. For now, a throttle lock helps a little.

I installed a set of Helibar risers. It appears I already had risers on the bike. These are a little taller, however.

2016-06-20%2015.05.28_zpsp7vlsezu.jpg