Gen II 2008 rear wheel assembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewinder

Reaction score
Q. I have a 2008. Since this model has the ABS sensor, does it have a spacer or just a thin washer between the brake caliper and the right swingarm. The FJR tech site shows a spacer-washer. On the non ABS model, there is a spacer (not a washer). The service manual does not indicate a spacer, but shows what appears to be a washer. There is approx. 1/4" gap between the caliper and the swingarm where you see just the axle.

There is a washer between the axle and caliper hanger.

The axle "floats" in the right side swingarm.

Get everything lined-up, then tighten the axle nut on the left side

and tighten the axle pinch bolt on the right side last.

This will leave about a 1/4" space between the washer and swingarm.

Hope this helped.

Q. I have a 2008. Since this model has the ABS sensor, does it have a spacer or just a thin washer between the brake caliper and the right swingarm. The FJR tech site shows a spacer-washer. On the non ABS model, there is a spacer (not a washer). The service manual does not indicate a spacer, but shows what appears to be a washer. There is approx. 1/4" gap between the caliper and the swingarm where you see just the axle.
I'd just pulled my rear wheel off this afternoon. It's a washer between the brake caliper and the right swingarm.

Thanks for the help!

I'd just pulled my rear wheel off this afternoon. It's a washer between the brake caliper and the right swingarm.

Thanks for the help!

Um...Unless I'm totally fucking something up, the wheel does not "float" on the axel. There are two "washers" on your rear axel. One is a washer that goes between the axel nut and the left swing arm (drive side) and the other is a spacer that goes between the caliper assembly and the right swing arm.

I donno what happens if you mix up the spacer and the washer, but they are pretty close in size. The spacer looks "stouter". Once the axel is torqued to spec, there should be no free space.

Also...You may have to get the axel flush on the right side, and then tighten the pinch bolt so that the axel does not spin when you try to torque it. Once the pinch bolt is tight and prevents movement, torque as normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2008.
On the non ABS model, there is a spacer (not a washer).

The service manual does not indicate a spacer, but shows what appears to be a washer.
What manual are you using? Clearly not the one for your model year, because there is no non-ABS model.

Buy the right manual and check THAT - or, go online and check the parts fiche for your model year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The axle has no fixed position on the right side, it is located laterally entirely on the left.

The spacer in question actually goes between the axle and the caliper hanger.

There will indeed be a small gap of about a quarter inch between the caliper hanger

and the swingarm on the right side.

Hasn't anybody actually ever taken their wheel off? Stop looking at exploded diagrams

and go look at your bike.

The axle has no fixed position on the right side, it is located laterally entirely on the left.
The spacer in question actually goes between the axle and the caliper hanger.

There will indeed be a small gap of about a quarter inch between the caliper hanger

and the swingarm on the right side.

Hasn't anybody actually ever taken their wheel off? Stop looking at exploded diagrams

and go look at your bike.
+1. There is a space.

SLK50 is correct-guys will tighten the pinch bolts to hold the axle and then tighten the axel- this will torque the right swingarm inward..not what you want to do. It needs to "float" to it's correct position-there will be a space and the right end of the axle will be countersunk in the swingarm about 2mm or so.

P9080536.jpg

SLK50 is correct-guys will tighten the pinch bolts to hold the axle and then tighten the axel- this will torque the right swingarm inward..not what you want to do. It needs to "float" to it's correct position-there will be a space and the right end of the axle will be countersunk in the swingarm about 2mm or so.
Ok, that's right, and the picture below your post is right. I guess when I saw "float" I thought he was saying that there was enough space that the rear wheel was free to "float" on the axle back and forth 1/4 inch.