Gen III frame sliders.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Factory sliders aren't backordered. After my dealer forgot to order them (along with my tank bag). Got them in 10 days.

Just finished installing the factory sliders on my new 2013. I do like the integrated look better than the bobbin style. Hopefully these will end up like the set of Mokos I installed on my 2005 and I never get to test them. Install is straightforward. The paperwork says it should take .8 hours. Took me 2.5. I guess I am a little more careful. Removal of the plastic is the biggest pain. The templates included with the installation sheets are not accurate. I needed to recut the rearward slots on both sides back another 1/4 inch to get the proper clearance. I used a dremel tool, you would never know the cuts weren't factory after I sanded up the edges. The only real drawback on the factory sliders is the unavailability of the individual parts. If you mess up a slider you can just buy the covers. Its another $299 for a complete set.

I better stop procrastinating and get my factory sliders installed before it gets expensive. I’m not quite sure what happened to this summer. Anybody have any links to plastic removal for installation. I hear it can be frustrating.

I have a set on order from Twisted Throttle, their part no RG.CP03465BL for $114.99. A little steep, but supposed to be simply bolt on.
I would bet that these will not fit. Twisted Throttle says that they fit 06-13. They have a problem understanding that the 13's plastic is nothing like the previous models. Let us know if they do work because I will NOT cut the plastic and canyon cages are butt ugly
bad.gif

Just finished installing the factory sliders on my new 2013. I do like the integrated look better than the bobbin style. Hopefully these will end up like the set of Mokos I installed on my 2005 and I never get to test them. Install is straightforward. The paperwork says it should take .8 hours. Took me 2.5. I guess I am a little more careful. Removal of the plastic is the biggest pain. The templates included with the installation sheets are not accurate. I needed to recut the rearward slots on both sides back another 1/4 inch to get the proper clearance. I used a dremel tool, you would never know the cuts weren't factory after I sanded up the edges. The only real drawback on the factory sliders is the unavailability of the individual parts. If you mess up a slider you can just buy the covers. Its another $299 for a complete set.
I picked mine up on Friday morning and went to install them later in the day. Had to bail out because I couldn't figure out how to remove the side fairing. Got all the screws - just like the older models. But I coudn't figure out how to get the top to release. Snaps? Fess up! How do they come off!

I have a set on order from Twisted Throttle, their part no RG.CP03465BL for $114.99. A little steep, but supposed to be simply bolt on.
I would bet that these will not fit. Twisted Throttle says that they fit 06-13. They have a problem understanding that the 13's plastic is nothing like the previous models. Let us know if they do work because I will NOT cut the plastic and canyon cages are butt ugly
bad.gif
They do fit without any modification, as I installed them today on my 2013 FJR without any fairing modification. The spacers behind the sliders clear the fairing so that these are simply bolt on with no modification. See the "Image Gallery" button on the link from my post #22 above. The photos there are clearly from a 2013 FJR. These frame sliders are elliptical, not round like the ones that fit the 06-12 models. The stock canyon cages on the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Granturismo look pretty nice, but then again, that bike is over $20,000.

bad.gif
They do fit without any modification, as I installed them today on my 2013 FJR without any fairing modification. The spacers behind the sliders clear the fairing so that these are simply bolt on with no modification. See the "Image Gallery" button on the link from my post #22 above. The photos there are clearly from a 2013 FJR. These frame sliders are elliptical, not round like the ones that fit the 06-12 models. The stock canyon cages on the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Granturismo look pretty nice, but then again, that bike is over $20,000.
That's great news! I didn't realize they were selling the RG model. Did you have to pull the plastic?

bad.gif
That's great news! I didn't realize they were selling the RG model. Did you have to pull the plastic?
Twisted Throttle listed the round R&G sliders for 06-11 "Classic Style" which do not fit the 2013 FJR. Twisted Throttle lists the elliptical R&G model as applicable to the 2013 model only. These bolt on with no modification needed and do not require removing any parts except for the frame mounting bolt which is replaced with new, longer bolts. I would remove and install one side at a time, that is, unless you are adventurous.

R&G Racing has issued a version for the 2013 FJR that requires no fairing modification. See them at https://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Yamaha/FJR1300/2013/CP0346BL.aspx#
searched their site..cant find that part..could you post link to the page? Thanks.
Here you go:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-racing-frame-sliders-for-yamaha-fjr1300-13

I'm on the fence between R&G and T-Rex frame sliders, and Canyon Cages won't be an option for me. Other than aesthetics, are there any plus or minuses to either?

Factory Frame sliders on my '13.

Canyon Cages might be tough as nails, but I think they look like ass, sorry, just me. I'm not willing to live with years of ugly in the chance I drop my bike. With that being said, the factory sliders go on pretty easy once you figure out how to remove the side fairing panels. They do require notching the underside of the fairing to provide bracket clearance. With a Dremel it's about 5 minutes per side. They even give you some paper templates. After that, they are simple bolt-on.

The mounts look strong enough, but I was a little taken aback by the slider themselves. They aren't solid, they are hollow plastic with stiffening ribs to provide controlled crush zones... I guess. Otherwise, they pretty damn cheap! I'm going with the engineered crush, it helps me sleep at night.
biggrin.png

Will they protect the bike in case of tip over/minor slide. Dunno, don't want to find out. But they do appear to be able to and they look MILES better than the cages and other sliders on the market I've seen.

I didn't take any pics of the sliders specifically, so here's some pics from EOM where you can see them.

Underside of the slider: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97920820@N05/10052543646/

From the front: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97920820@N05/10052545686/

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up going with the GSG sliders like I had on my '04. They have a large bracket that installs under the fairing that provides a mount point through the fairing w/o having to cut. GSG sliders now offer an inexpensive cap (you can use the caps on all the previous slider versions too) so in the event of a parking lot tip over you can simply replace the cap and you're looking as good as new. I bought mine from Wildhair Accessories. I've bought a lot of stuff in the past from Irfan when I had my ZRX1200R. Great service and quickly responds to email inquires or you can call. Just not looking forward to pulling the plastic again so they're not on the bike yet. Had the left side off to install a Powerlet socket but unfortunately didn't have the sliders at the time. The sliders come from Germany and might take a few weeks to get from Wild Hair.

Gary

The cutting of the plastic to install the factory sliders is overrated. You basically need to trim back the underside of the fairing that you will never see about a half inch in two places. A dremel tool will allow you to make cuts that look factory. Use the sanding drums to cleanup the edges of the cuts and you will never know it wasn't a factory edge.

The one thing I have discovered about the factory sliders is I now have a mounting point for my Ankools to be mounted. My 13 generates a little heat from mid calf to my feet on days with temps above the high 80s. I fabricated a couple of polycarbonate wings that I can direct airflow back into the foot peg areas and drive out the offensive heat. On cold days I can swing the wings up parallel with the ground and let the heat build. They mount to the bottom outer edge of the slider. My cardboard mockups tested great. Now I just need warm days to test the real deal. Its October in MN so I think it will be about 9 months before I get a chance to test in the real world.