Gen III frame sliders.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R&G's installed this morning in about 10 minutes. Nice, easy and clean install...

i-CBGMRc9-X2.jpg

Has anyone installed the OEM Yamaha sliders on a 2014 yet?

Curious to know if the side fairings still need to be trimmed for fitment or did Yamaha revise the panels for '14?

Curious to know if the side fairings still need to be trimmed for fitment or did Yamaha revise the panels for '14?
Not speaking of the 14 specifically, but my 13.

Ya, the panels do need to be trimmed on both sides. The portion that needs trimming is 'under lip' and is not visible. Yammie supplies a template for both sides. 2 minutes with a dremel and your done. It's a total non-issue.

Ya, the panels do need to be trimmed on both sides. The portion that needs trimming is 'under lip' and is not visible. Yammie supplies a template for both sides. 2 minutes with a dremel and your done. It's a total non-issue.
Anytime I take a power tool to my plastic it IS a major issue IMO. Buy the R&G's.

Can the trimming to the panels be done on the bike, or do they need to be removed?

Also, can the slider mounts be installed with the panels on the bike?

Can the trimming to the panels be done on the bike, or do they need to be removed?

I left the panels on the bike with the lower fasteners removed to give a little more clearance for the Dremel barrel sander. Like Bungie said its quick and painless. I am like cota95 in that I fret about taking power tools to the plastic.

I left the panels on the bike with the lower fasteners removed to give a little more clearance for the Dremel barrel sander. Like Bungie said its quick and painless. I am like cota95 in that I fret about taking power tools to the plastic.
Same for me. Loosened the fairings, but didn't remove them. I honestly don't see the big deal about trimming a little notch or 2 out of the lower fairing lip where nobody will ever see it (well, unless you use the sliders and end up with the bike rubber-side-up, I suppose, in which case a dremelled "notch" is going to be the least of your concerns). IMHO the various after-market sliders don't look "bad," but they look, well, "after-market," while the OEM ones look like they rolled out of the factory on the bike (I've been asked about that a couple of times - "Oh, does this thing come with built-in sliders?").

After my recent drop (see here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/157902-well-the-gen-iii-oem-sliders-work/) I'm also convinced that Yammy spent some time working on the geometry to provide the best protection for the bike - maybe not perfect, but pretty darn good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Removed.

And the Gen3's are such fun to remove the panels.. all that unscrewing, snapping and cracking noises. But you'll have to do it eventually for something. Might as well bite the bullet and bust your fairing cherry.

Looked at the service manual and the side fairing removal looks like a real treat.

Any pics of how much trimming needs to be done?

1 spot on each side of the fairing if I recall. Just a slot, about 3/4" deep and about 2" long. Your just making clearance for the mounting bracket. Nothing intricate.

Funny thing. I had bought the sliders when I bought the bike only to find them backordered. When they finally came in a few weeks later, the Service Advisor looked genuinely relieved when I said I'd install them myself. "My guys are good at turning wrenches, not at carving up fairings".

After seeing how easy it was, I wonder just how good they really are if they didn't want to do it.

I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel. Took about 5 minutes per side.

The sliders look good. I like that they stick out a little further than mine I didn't want to cut plastic and put the no-cut Motovation sliders on my Gen III. I used my Skyway sliders at near stop tip over on my 06, embarassing experience but they served their purpose well. I think my Motovation would do as well at slow speed. I don't want to try any of them at a higher speed.

https://s1083.photobucket.com/user/MartyO6/media/IMG_0653.jpg.html

Anyone interested in the Yamaha sliders, check ebay item# 390838671483. $117 for a set.

They show a list price of $138.49. Some one better jump on these before they wise up and recheck their invoice. Thats like stealing them with their permission.

One set left on that auction (buy it now) as of 11a.m. today.

They sold the last set of sliders, some people got a good buy!

edit- current eBay auction from the dealer who had the deal on sliders now has some priced at $290.99. Probably realized they sold the 6 sets too cheap? eBay item # 390845403509

Last edited by a moderator:
How much trimming is required to install the oem sliders? Considering them and would like to know before I pull the trigger.