Get Busy Living

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice writing Andrew. It complements Joey's report very well. Looking forward to reading more of it. Very nice tandem RRs.

A quick glance at the FCB was enough to let us know it was a waste of our time. We refueled the bikes and pointed them North up Hwy 191. I saw a local grocery store a block off the main road in Monticello Utah and we decided another picnic might be in order. We picked up some sandwich fixings and resumed our journey North. We passed the little restaurant where our friend Pants ate later that day but it held no interest for us.

We turned West into Canyonlands NP which turned out to be nice but not as exciting as I had hoped. This park is not crowded and obviously does not receive a huge number of visitors. We enjoyed it just the same. The views were not as spectacular or breathtaking as some other places but it was still a very interesting place. I will say that the campgrounds within that park were very appealing. Every camping spot backed up to the red rock walls and caves, there was plenty of shade and it was very pleasant.

We met a gentleman from Florida on a nice HD RoadKing Classic. He had ridden from Florida, out to the West Coast and was headed home. He was really nice and we had a great conversation. He was very interested in how reliable our Yamahas were. He asked a lot of questions about the bikes and he kept looking at the way they were set up. He finally told us, "I have owned several BMWs and one Ducati. None of them were reliable enough to make a Coast to Coast trip. People laugh about me buying a Harley for the reliability but this is the most reliable, most trouble-free bike I ever owned. Your bikes are more my style though, I did not know much about those FJRs". I will not debate the reliability of any of those bikes, I am just repeating what the man told us. About an hour later Pop and I were cooking our way through some of the park's tight S curves at almost peg scraping angles and we noticed our new friend taking pics or video of us with his phone.

On the road into CanyonLands is Newspaper Rock. I had seen pics of this but I wanted to see it for myself.

I made a couple of sarcastic comments to Pop about the petroglyphs. Clever things like: "You should be able to read this stuff. This is how you communicated when you were younger right?" And: "Wow, this rock is almost as old as you!" I do not think he found me all that funny.

The South side of Canyonlands NP is not the best side but it is still very interesting:

We did go dual sporting for a few miles:

Wooden Shoe Arch:

We had our picnic and headed back out. The road in and out is almost 40 miles one way so you are committed to it. I found it quite pleasant and we both enjoyed it. Pop asked me to find some shade so we could take a water break. Shade? Seriously? There is no shade to be found out here. But, being the wonderful son that I am...

Back out on 191 we pointed North again. We both saw a lonely road pointing to the West and disappearing over a distant ridgeline. I was thinking about the mystery of that road when Pop asked, "I wonder where that road goes?" I told him, it went no where because no where was all that lay in that direction. As we passed the intersection I noticed a sign saying Needles Overlook. I asked Pop how he felt about doing a UTurn and checking out that road.

You already know what he said, so yeah, it was well worth it. 22 miles later:

Pants already said about all that needs to be said about this place and my part of this RR is supposed to be a support for his, not a competition. I will say that Pop and I spent a great deal of time there reflecting on the vastness of that place and our own small place in this world. It is not exactly a beautiful place, it is actually a bit disturbing. "Hell with the fires out" is about as close as I can come to describing the place. I highly, highly recommend The Needles Overlook.

Back on 191 our sidetrips had depleted our fuel enough that I felt we should go out of our way and head North to Moab for fuel. It was a nice ride, not very curvy but quite interesting. The Hole in the Rock store is on that stretch of 191 as well as a couple of Utah State Troopers... We did not get stopped but we were followed for a while.

I do not mind admitting that I often wondered how far behind me our friend Pants was. I pondered trying to meet up with him again, but decided to let that go.

We pulled off the road for a couple pics of Wilson Arch:

We got our fuel in Moab and retraced 191 back to Hwy 46 which would take us East into Colorado where it turned into Hwy 90. We followed that until it T'eed into Hwy 141, then we turned South. We took Hwy 145 toward Telluride. My plan (I was allowed to have a plan again!) was to stay in the tiny town of Norwood Colorado at a very nice little motel called The Backwoods Inn.

That worked out splendidly. We secured our room, identified our evening restaurant and then headed toward Hwy 62. We took Hwy 62 across the Dallas Divide toward Ridgway CO because I remembered there were some Aspens on that road and I was hoping for some fall colors. It could have been better, but it was still quite spectacular. The best of it was never where it was convenient to take pics, but we at least enjoyed it.

Pop was getting a bit tired and he was not entirely happy with my enthusiasm for the curves on Hwy 145 on our return. He had commented several times as we rode that stretch about the fly fishermen in the little river paralleling the road and had expressed his desire to "Get down there and wallow like a buffalo in that water." I had assured him he really did not wish to do that but he was being argumentative. So, I found us a public access boat launch.

He put his hand into the VERY COLD water and decided that wallowing was not a good idea. I had a few comments for him as we rode back but I had won that round.

We stopped at The Hitchin' Post restaurant on the edge of Norwood and it was RibEye Night! A mistake. Even the enthusiasm of Jody the waitress was not enough to make up for the unskilled cook. Our "medium" steaks looked like flattened charcoal briquettes, they were simply inedible. The second try was mediocre but at least not burned. Jody was super nice, very helpful and we were nice in return but our meal was a disappointment.

Our little motel was wonderful though. We were comfortable and happy there, the bikes were right outside the door, and all was well with our little world. Just as the sun was setting and the western sky was the color of blood, a huge flock of geese passed over the edge of town. The honking of hundreds of those beautiful (and tasty!) creatures was a wonder to hear. A magical end to a magical day.

After a wonderful evening camping at the brand spanking new Bryce View campground in Kodachrome Basin State Park, I spent that same day up ahead of you giggling in my helmet at the great roads (also dodging cows). I had a Corvette tailing me most of the way up 12 but neither of us could open up as every other turn seemed to reveal a cow in the road!

The ride up 24 from Hanksville was possibly the straightest, flattest most frighteningly empty road I've been on. I think I saw 2 vehicles and 0 structures the whole way up to I-70. I was thinking how dark and empty it would be out there if I broke down.

Didn't spend much time in Capitol Reef as I wanted to get to Arches. It was about 2:30 and I was maybe half-way into Arches NP when my wife called in tears. Seems our 10 year old Boxer (who raised our boys as much as we did) wasn't doing well so she took him to the vet. They examined him and said his heart was greatly swollen and filling with fluid. Everyone was upset because he was clearly dying.

I couldn't stand the thought of her having to deal with everything in her state so I immediately pulled out of Arches, jumped on I-70 and lit the fuse.

Twenty-four hours later I had covered the 1,250 miles and was home. Prior to this trip I had never ridden farther than 600 miles in a day but a crying wife is a powerful motivator! I was racing through Salina, KS when she called to say he had died on the operating table at the local pet hospital. I love dogs and have had them as pets most of my life but I know they aren't people. As much as I hated losing the dog, what I really hated was being over 1,000 miles away when my family needed me. That really bothered me.

At least I got to thoroughly enjoy most of my trip and it was only shortened by about 2 days. I've been really busy catching up at work but I'll try to post a few pics that aren't duplicates of the great work Pants and Redfish have done here.

It was a pleasure meeting and traveling with "y'all" and I want to thank you again for letting me join you. Maybe someday Redfish will even come to believe I'm not lying to him when I say I grew up in Dixie and just happen to currently live in a Yankee state!

Mr. RFH was such great company and I hope he enjoyed our time swapping stories as much as I did. It's pretty amazing how he spent the entire trip tucked right behind RFH. They looked like a perfect team of fighter jets sweeping through corners in formation. Really impressive to see.

You can all thank Pants and I if the world becomes a better place soon. I believe we solved most of the world's problems over cigars and bourbon under the brilliant stars!

If you are in northern Arizona and need somewhere to pitch a tent I HIGHLY recommend Lee's Ferry Campground in Glen Canyon. We had wondered if the road in was paved. It turned out to be not just paved but flawlessly paved. Not so much as a ripple in it. Watching the sun set over the canyon walls that night, listening to the Colorado river just yards away, then coffee as the sun rose next day was simply perfection.

It's hard to imagine how I could top riding a great bike to wonderful new places, sleeping under the stars and sharing it all with new friends!

RFH, and especially Mr RFH, I apologize, but danged if the story and the look on his face just didn't say it all.

MrRFH_zps0vcefb23.jpg

Gents -

I can't add anything clever or eloquent to your great RRs.

Like many here, we've been to many of those same places, felt similarly awed by the scope and grandeur, and come away changed for the better. Thanks for reminding, and for describing so beautifully.

Pants - way to "bury the lead"! Sorry for your unscheduled dismount and the resulting injuries to you and your bike. Hope you will soon know what day of the week it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice reports, sorry for your disappointment Pants. RF your report added to Pants. Hope you find a replacement soon Pants. Would enjoy seeing all of you in Red Lodge in June!

Nice reports, sorry for your disappointment Pants. RF your report added to Pants. Hope you find a replacement soon Pants. Would enjoy seeing all of you in Red Lodge in June!
I have not talked to Pop yet but that has been heavily in my thoughts. We were in Montana in the truck in July on a family vacation and we never got to ride some of the best roads up there. Pop would not take much convincing. I kind of want to go East next time, but I am more determined than ever to make an FJR meet somewhere. Yours looked wonderful last year.

RFH, and especially Mr RFH, I apologize, but danged if the story and the look on his face just didn't say it all.
MrRFH_zps0vcefb23.jpg
You nailed it! Pop is going to love that!

He does not threaten me, truly we never had much conflict anyway, but yes. He can still whip my butt and both of us know it.

MrRFH_zps0vcefb23.jpg

totally reminds me of the tv show Pawn Stars Old Man with the look on his face and lack of give a shit attitude just spewing from his mind... LOL

Epic photo, and with GJ's added meme makes it all the more awesome !!

FWIW - I always get the..... Hey, you know who you look like....

Ugh..... Unfortunately I look like Rick from Pawn Stars.... - clearly much better looking but whatever...
sad.png

Hanging out in vegas was not a huge treat for me with all the mistaken double takes, but it did grant me some fun times and favors at the bars...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now ....I think I'll have to saddle up and do that ride again. Obviously I missed a little bit of each state. Thanks for the RR . Sorry about the abrupt finish Pants. Redfish it's awesome you could ride with your dad. I'm going to ask my dad if he'd like to go. He rides a Harley so I wont hold my breath .

Rob

A decent breakfast at The Happy Belly Deli in Norwood and we were off into the cool Colorado morning. As we rolled through the now familiar curves on Hwy 145 Pop was the Voice of Caution in my headset but for all the fussing he did was a solid shadow in my right mirror. I made a few sarcastic comments about him wallowing in the cool river that was running just to the right of the road but he was not willing to bite.

We eventually got stuck behind a long, slow caravan of cars that moved along at what I call the Colorado Pace. I told Pop that once we got south of Mountain Village the traffic would drop off dramatically, and it did. The sky was blue, the sun was shining, the air was cool and crisp, and the aspens... Well, the Aspen Trees cooperated also.

We continued South on 145 and it just got better and better. At Lizard Head Pass we took a break and discussed things. We both knew that the Aspens were almost behind us just like the red rocks of Utah were behind us. Somehow we were not saddened by this, it was all part of the game.

We were in no particular hurry, the day was ours, and our bikes were pointed in the general direction of Home. I tried not to let myself think about Home but I was really missing my wife and my son. But we were still On Vacation and it was wonderful.

We bypassed Cortez CO by turning east on Hwy 184 at Dolores. We turned east again on Hwy 160, then South on Hwy 140 before Durango. That took us across the border into New Mexico where it turned into Hwy 170. Another turn to the east on Hwy 574 led us to Aztec NM. We rode through some very diverse and interesting terrain. It was all new to us and all good. We rode close to the posted limits and soaked in as much as we could. In Aztec I had to consult the Garmin but that gave us a chance to remove some of our cold weather gear. Soon enough we were headed south on Hwy 550 into Bloomfield.

While we refueled in Bloomfield a gentleman came over to talk about my BMW... He was astonished that Yamaha built a bike like that. He was even more surprised when he discovered that we had ridden all the way from Louisiana. "I can't imagine riding my Harley that far!" he told us. If he had not been so nice I would have told him to use his imagination a little more.

Pop laughed when he realized we were riding past the hotel we had slept in a few nights before. I do enjoy my little tricks with the map and Pop enjoys the fact that we are never lost.

Hwy 550 may as well be an interstate, it is a wide open 4 lane with a high speed limit. I set my CC and the big Yamahas began devouring miles.

Just north of Cuba NM we took a left on Hwy 96 and the scenery changed again. We took our time with this road, we both felt that the faster we went, the faster our vacation was over. As we re-entered the road at a gravel pull off, we both hit Very Deep Gravel and I nearly went down. I caught it and I fought it, and then I was nearly stuck. I spun and paddled with my feet, praying that Pop would not fall, knowing he probably would.

As my front tire rolled onto the asphalt and my rear clawed for traction and sank ever deeper I caught a glimpse of burgundy and heard the growl of FJR horsepower to my left. Pop got back onto the asphalt at the same time I did. I was surprised and pleased and I could tell he was too. He seems to improve with every ride and I was pleased that neither of us had any drops, slips or bike mishaps on this entire ride.

We paused at Abiqui Dam just before we rejoined Hwy 84. The temps were climbing but the day was still nice. I wanted to be well south of Santa Fe before we shut down for the night and figured that would be easy. It was not, but that was because of Road Construction, not mileage.

Abiqui Dam

We rolled south through Espanola where I somehow made a wrong turn and we had to backtrack. We hooked a right onto the Hwy 599 bypass around Santa Fe and unfortunately had to get on I-25. We made the best of it and it was not a bad interstate to ride. We turned south on Hwy 84 to I-40 and decided on a quick burger in Santa Rosa. We got our burger but it was not quick.

I had secured us a room in Fort Sumner and it was getting very late as we headed south from Santa Rosa. Why Fort Sumner? Well, that is where Billy the Kid was (allegedly) killed and where he is (allegedly) buried. I am no fan of Billy's but I am amazed at how much territory he covered and how hostile that area was. I thought about crossing that country on horseback with only a canteen and the thought was depressing. I do not know how they survived like that. Maybe I am not as strong as those guys were.

The full moon was adding its pale light to that of the rapidly setting sun and the effect was unlike anything I ever experienced. The temperature was dropping at the same rate as the sun and the very real possibility of an animal encounter at high speed was heavy on my mind. This was actually the only time we rode in the dark this entire trip, not counting the 20 minutes it took me to get to Dad's the first morning. I will never forget the colors of that land in that strange light and Pop was just as awed. Then, it was all gone into inky blackness so quickly we were taken by surprise.

We reached our hotel, carried our bags inside and I went back out to repark the bikes. I stood on the edge of the road and tried to imagine this place as it was when Billy was here. I could almost smell the sweat of horses, I could almost feel the weight of my Colt on my hip... But Billy the Kid was not here. My Colt was not on my hip, and my Yamaha was not sweating. I went inside the hotel and slept untroubled.

And now for two programming notes:

1. I have been exchanging text messages and a couple of phone calls with my Good Samaritans since I returned. Expectedly, we have become friends and I suspect shall remain so indefinitely. On Tuesday night, I received a text message from Eric indicating that his son shot a huge Big Horn Sheep on the mountain where dad was spotting when our paths crossed. He didn't think it was the same sheep he was looking at, but the picture he sent me of his son, the sheep, and Dad (the hunter's pose) brought a sincere smile to my face.

2. I received a PM on another forum from a user "Rocky", whom I was not familiar with. Turns out it was Chris, the dude I highlighted on this ride report and met on the Needles and again in Delta Colorado. He sent me a very sincere heart felt note of well wishes and prayers. I think I've made another friend out West.

Maybe in some respects, the world is not as big as I portrayed it.....

Really, there is not much more to tell about our ride. From Fort Sumner New Mexico, back across Texas and on into Louisiana it is mostly straight and flat. We still enjoyed it, we still loved watching the world slide away beside the two Yamahas but none of it was exciting in the sense that good RRs need. It was great fun for us though, just riding the big bikes and chatting back and forth made for two really good days.

At the hotel in Fort Sumner I was wiping the bikes down and an older gentleman on an older HD Electra Glide walked over to chat. I noticed he had not wiped the bugs off his bike and in fact it did not look like it had seen soap for a long time. Another rider surprised that Yamaha built a BMWish bike... Anyway, he said his bike was a few years old, he seemed unsure of the year. So I asked if it was an 88 inch or a 96 inch motor. He gave me a blank look and said, "I don't know. I don't really care. I am not interested in motorcycles, I am interested in RIDING motorcycles." The bike had Florida plates and he said he was headed home to Seattle. He said that bike had been with his son in Florida for a while now but he had flown in to visit and ride it home. "My son takes care of maintenance and cleaning, I just ride." Wow.

As he attempted and failed to get the big HD to idle Pop and I loaded our luggage on the FJRs. We watched him struggle to get it out of the parking lot and then it came alive and rumbled off to the West. Pop made a few comments about how that guy's son took care of maintenance and cleaning... I pointed out that I did those same things and there were no bugs on the Cee Bailey I had installed. "Yeah, but at least he gets to leave his son at home. I have to deal with YOU for two weeks. I think he got the better deal". I should have offered to check his tire pressure with my pocket knife...

We passed through Earth Texas, which is just West of Muleshoe Texas where we had breakfast. So, if we ever return to Earth, we may also have to visit Muleshoe.

The rain eventually caught us around the southern edge of The Caprock in Texas. We geared up but it was not bad and we only got about an hour and a half of decent rain.

We stopped for supper at Dieter Brothers on Hwy 82 in Lindsay Texas and the food was pretty good but the service was better. I cannot express the difference between a waitress in Utah or Colorado and one in Texas or Louisiana. I tried to drink about a gallon of sweet iced tea. Pop was focused on one of the neon beer signs and asked me, "What is that Shiner Bock? I see that advertised all over the place here. Is that beer?"

So, when we reached our hotel in Sherman I walked over to the gas station and bought us some Shiner Bock which we drank in our room while happily discussing the fantastic trip we had just taken and wondering what our friends John and Joey were doing.

We had a good breakfast at the IHOP and pointed our bikes toward Home. The miles clicked away and my attention wandered... Pop had to growl at me a bit to keep me focused.

We refueled for the last time just before we crossed the Mississippi River, about 90 minutes from Dad's house. As we were pulling into the parking lot I could feel my phone vibrating in my jacket but I ignored it until I got the bike stopped at the pump.

There was a text and a missed call from Joey.

I read:

Sun, Sep 27, 3:35 PM

Took a 60 mph high side. Bike totaled. I'm ok but I might nee some help with ideas to get home

WHAT???!!! Oh shit, I try calling, no answer. I send a text while my mind is spinning how do I get to him? I have to be back at work in two days and I am still about two hours from my house. I will have to get my trailer hooked to my truck and head to Somewhere I Guess In Colorado since I don't even know where the hell he is and I have to do it as soon as I get home.

I calmly inform Pop and I know he will stay calm and think our way through it. We gear up and start back toward Home. Pop, predictably tells me, "Getting in a hurry will only get us hurt or in trouble. Take your time, get us home, we will work things out from there." I already know this but my mind is spinning through all the things any of you would be thinking.

1. How bad is he hurt?
2. How bad is the bike?
3. Where is he?
4. How bad is he hurt?
5. What will I need to get the bike loaded onto my trailer and which trailer should I take?
6. How bad is he hurt?
7. What happened?
8. Do I have it in me to ride this bike 500 miles and then jump into my truck and drive all night and all day tomorrow? (I knew that answer by the way)
9. Dammit, I was so looking forward to seeing my wife and son... (Instant guilty feeling there)
10. How bad is he hurt?
11. Oh look, a squirrel!

You get the idea.

When I got Pop home he talked to Mom and she started going through the Cash Reserves because we were going to need funds for our Rescue Mission. I still could not reach my friend and worry was clutching at my heart.

I called home, let Mrs. Redfish know where I was and what I knew. She already knew that I was about to jump in the truck and head back NorthWest without me telling her.

I got home, still cannot reach Joey. He had given me his two ICE numbers, one for his wife and another for his Dad. I took a deep breath and called Mrs. hppants.

I tried to be smooth, I did not know what she knew and did not want to upset her. She did know, she had a few details and we spoke for a few minutes while Mrs. Redfish listened to my end of the conversation. She went through the obvious rotation a few times, most of you already know how a wife thinks in these situations.
1. Thank you so much
2. I hope he is really alright, I feel helpless because he is so far away
3. I am tired of him crashing his bike, this is not the first time
Repeat the cycle.

Note, I am not making fun of the situation or Mrs. Hppants. I fully understood, and made sure she knew I was on Hot Standby, ready to do whatever but I needed information soon so I could make things happen. My wife actually complimented me afterwards on my presentation and smoothness.

Of course I kept my own Dear Old Dad informed. There was never any question that if I went back, he was going back as well.

I finally got a call from Joey that evening letting me know he was alive and had A Plan. I offered whatever I could but he had it under control. So, for two days I sat here helplessly while my hurt friend got himself and his motorcycle back home. I gave a small amount of assistance with maps over the phone because he could not use his GPS in the UHaul without stopping somewhere to buy a cable. We plotted routes together, I provided times and distances and I waited.

I did have one important and difficult mission. Templeton Rye Whiskey. Another forum member, poolboytoo, had turned Pants onto this stuff and it was his favorite. I knew for certain that Pants had drank the last of it on this trip and he had told me he could not get it down here. Pants is pretty resourceful so if he says it cannot be done...

I mistimed his arrival, he got ahead of me by about 30 minutes. I pushed the big Duramax pretty hard and he only beat me to his house by a few minutes but the poor bike was already unloaded from the UHaul. I helped him unload the rest of his gear, gave him the bottle of Templeton Rye (the impossible to get bottle) and left him to deal with the conversation none of us want to have with our wives.

I did not take pics of the destroyed FJR. I did not like looking at it and did not feel it was respectful to take pics. I waited for hppants to post his RR, I offered my support as best I could and I will continue to do so.

For Mr. Hppants and for all of you, this trip was one of the best I ever took. Pop and I were both comfortable, confident and happy. The weather was perfect, the bikes were perfect, the company was perfect. I had about 90 minutes of stupidity that was all my fault and other than that there was no drama, no anger, no meanness...

So, I close with this flashback picture just a few months old. If this does not give Hppants the answer he needs, I do not know what will.

I call this Happiness:

Bravo! Everyone back home. Probably the most amazing R.R. I have read with unexpected twists, turns and great scenery and friendships.

I forgot to mention to Ramjt that I was sorry to read about his dog. I guess unofficially, you did an Iron Butt getting home to Mama - on a stock seat, that is certainly noteworthy.

RFH - most excellent ride report. It was a wonderful trip and I will remember it always. I especially enjoyed reading your thoughts and perspective on the same things I saw.

Thanks pants. I hesitated to even mention it since it's hardly in the same category as a friend crashing but I wanted to explain why my trip got cut a little short and you didn't hear from me for a bit.

Just discovered that one of my co-workers crashed his K1600GTL when he hit unexpected gravel. He's sore but walking while the bike is totaled.

Safety gear.

It works.

Use it!